Wrigleyworld: A Season in Baseball's Best…

Wrigleyworld: A Season in Baseball's Best Neighborhood

by Kevin Kaduk

I should have loved this book. It's got everything I love. Chicago, the Cubs and a bunch of drunks.

First of all, the guy is a jackass. He quits a reporting job in . . . I think St. Louis? Kansas City? I don't know, some place, and moves to Chicago to lay around on the couch drinking and following the Cubs all season. I'm into the idea, but the dude is super self-congratulatory and keeps acting like he did some noble thing.

Second of all, the guy is a jackass. Throughout the entire Cubs season, he apparently never meets a single woman who knows the first thing about baseball, but meets plenty of them with breasts he has no problem describing to the reader.

Third of all, the guy is a jackass. He can't write. His prose is trite and eye-roll inducing. It's like reading a blog of a 21 year old college student who's always either drunk, recovering from being drunk or talking about being drunk.

Fourth of all, the guy is a jackass. He goes off on this tangent about how Chicago 'charges you to breathe.' What? This city has a million free things to do for tourists and residents alike, and residents can just take a trip to the library to get free admission to any number of attractions that others would have to pay for. What he means is that if you want to go to Wrigleyville and get drunk with frat boys, it's expensive. Good thing for me that I don't like to do that.

Fifth of all, the guy is a jackass. He spends half the book complaining about people who go to Cubs games and don't even pay attention and the other half of the book going to Cubs games and not paying attention. For example :

"That baseball is being played on the field comes to news to all of us as we drink a few more beers, yell insults at Cardinals outfielder Jim Edmonds and get ready for an all-night barbeque at my house. John entertains himself by grabbing a Cardinals T-shirt from another friend, ripping it to pieces, and making a bra from one of the sleeves. Bleacher security keeps a close eye on John but retreats once they realize that he is only entertaining everyone."

Oh, how entertaining John!!

All of that said, there are a few things I liked about the book. There was a section on the Ballhawks, pros who hang outside the stadium at every game, catching the foul balls that leave the park. There was also a section I enjoyed where Kevin traveled to a few other ballparks and compared them to Wrigley. However, he cut his story short to move on to more stories about what an entitled drunk douche bag he was.

In summation : Kevin Kaduk is the epitome of what I hate about Cubs fans. Obviously, we are not all like him but this guy writing a book about a whole lot of people like him makes me cry big ole croc tears. ( )
  agnesmack | Sep 6, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible