A Quick Bite (Argeneau Vampires, Book 1) by…

A Quick Bite (Argeneau Vampires, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Lynsay Sands

Member:sidhevicious
Title:A Quick Bite (Argeneau Vampires, Book 1)
Authors:Lynsay Sands
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands

English (33)  Czech (1)  All languages (34)
I'm a big fan of [b:A Quick Bite|38568|A Quick Bite (Argeneau #1)|Lynsay Sands|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1410129015s/38568.jpg|2621331] and am well on my way to having read all of her historicals. I have the majority done but am saving those last few to pull me out of reading slumps. If you haven't read her historicals yet, I suggest giving them a shot in audio. She has great narrators that really bring the characters for life. Back to the book at hand, I don't know why I haven't tried the Argeneau series before now. It may be because I tend to search out urban fantasy series because I like to follow the same couple throughout... but I have run through those and now am going back to the paranormal multi-couple series such as Argeneau, Immortals After Dark, etc.

This book was a little different from other vampy books that I have read and listened to in that our hero was not the fangy one. Dr. Gregory Hewitt is a psychologist that specializes in the treatment of phobias. He seems to be a bit of a workaholic and his sister is constantly setting him up on blind dates. He manages to get out of the latest fix up because he is all set to go on vacation to Cancun, his first vacation in many years. Unfortunately before he can do any relaxing, Greg is spirited away by a female vamp who plans to give him to her daughter as a birthday present!

Our heroine is also unique, Lissianna Argeneau is a 200 y/o vamp who suffers from hemophobia. She faints at the sight of blood. This has made Lissianna largely dependent on her family for feeding. So when she sees great bound to her bed with a bow, she mistakes him for dinner! They couple has an instant connection it seems, and Greg is the first mortal whose mind is closed to Lissianna.

As Greg proves to have a strong will, the vamps are at odds regarding his fate and future. He needs to treat Lissianna's phobia... but danger seems to find them at every turn. This was a light-hearted paranormal. It wasn't a dark fantasy with broody vamps and overly serious characters, but it was entertaining despite being somewhat shallow. I don't mean that in a negative way.

So I liked the story, but I didn't love it. I honestly think it was the beta male thing. I like my vamps to be dark, broody and dominant. Greg is pretty much the opposite of those characteristics. Maybe some of the other Argeneau brothers will tickle my fang fancy... but I will keep reading regardless because I know I am going to be entertained with any book by Lynsay.

Since this was an audio, I feel like I should say something about the narrator. It was a solid performance. Nothing stuck out as good or bad. My mind did wander off a few times that required me to rewind... but that was more about me being busy than the book not holding my interest.

3 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
This was a cutesy paranormal romance - with emphasis on the romance. The main characters is a (born) vampire who passes out at the sight of blood, thus complicating her diet. In this paranormal universe, vamps exist and are just like you and me, with a different diet, but don't advertise their presence to the normals. This was a somewhat funny story, but the world didn't interest me that much and the plot was almost nonexistent. The romance was cute though. I will probably give this series one more shot and then call it good depending on how that one goes down. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
3 1/2 stars review to come. Good start. ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Good read for romantic comdey ( )
  Baochuan | Nov 30, 2015 |
Shortly after I started reading I realised this wasn't going to be the best book in the world though there were a couple of good jokes, one of them involves a cucumber...in a snack's trousers being used to cover his inability to get it up -the dude was anaemic and was faking everything: fake tan, fake job, fake shoulders (i.e. shoulder pads); the other involves Lissiana, a vampire with haemaphobia (a fear of blood) who faints at the very sight of blood. When I thought about this I couldn't help but wonder how she dealt with her periods, an obvious problem that Sands never addresses.

I don't know when this book was first published but it reads like it was written in the early 90s. It was highly predictable and VERY slow. Nothing surprised me. I admit I was looking for a light read with a happy ending, and I guess I got what I wanted I just didn't expect it to be this flimsy. The story was mostly about the Argeneau family, only in the last quarter of the book did you feel that Greg and Lissiana were in any danger, though it was glaringly obvious who had put them there.

There were plenty of embarressing moments for the main characters especially Greg who was humiliated a number of times though I think these instances were meant to be funny, they just came off as degrading to me.

On the plus side the history and explanation of how vampires came to be and the biological side of them was interesting as was Lissiana's mother's life story. Also the way Greg came into Lissiana's life was different to most of the paranormal romances I've read.

Overall A Quick Bite was synonymous with A Bit Dull. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
For David,
for all the coffee and kisses.
Thank you.
November 2000.

"It's just a little dinner party."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060773758, Mass Market Paperback)

That hot guy tied to Lissianna Argeneau's bed? He's not dessert—he's the main course!

Lissianna has been spending her centuries pining for Mr. Right, not just a quick snack, and this sexy guy she finds in her bed looks like he might be a candidate. But there's another, more pressing issue: her tendency to faint at the sight of blood . . . an especially annoying quirk for a vampire. Of course it doesn't hurt that this man has a delicious-looking neck. What kind of cold-blooded vampire woman could resist a bite of that?

Dr. Gregory Hewitt recovers from the shock of waking up in a stranger's bedroom pretty quickly—once he sees a gorgeous woman about to treat him to a wild night of passion. But is it possible for the good doctor to find true love with a vampire vixen, or will he be just a good meal? That's a question Dr. Greg might be willing to sink his teeth into . . . if he can just get Lissianna to bite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

A gorgeous vampire who has a regrettable tendency to faint at the sight of blood, Lissianna Argeneau meets the man of her dreams in the person of Dr. Greg Hewitt, the handsome psychoanalyst she finds in her bed. Original.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,874,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible