The enchantment emporium by Tanya Huff

The enchantment emporium (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Tanya Huff

Member:cerce7
Title:The enchantment emporium
Authors:Tanya Huff
Info:New York : DAW Books, c2009.
Rating:*****
Tags:Urban Fantasy, eBook, Dragons, Witches, Magic, Romance, Calgary

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff (2009)

The Thread that Binds the Bones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are about magical families with unique powers
    A Fistful Of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy, magic families

English (46)  German (1)  All languages (47)
Oh my! I really enjoyed this book. The Gale family and 1st, 2nd, 3rd ring and Alysha. Dragon Lords and Sorcerers. Graham and Alysha. I truly do hope it is the start of a series. I can see the distinct possibilities.

-This might be the start of a new series. If it is, its awesome so far! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Classic Tanya - Alt reality with lots of magic and snarkyness ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
Mostly entertaining story about a girl who moves out to Calgary, away from a most peculiar family, to take up a legacy that was left to her by her Grandmother, who has apparently passed away.
Allie belongs to a family of very powerful women and, away from home, she starts to exhibit some independence and some new talents, while facing challenges that might possibly end the world. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
That was SO good. I didn't want it to end, but I couldn't stop reading (so of course it ended too soon). Great characters, great writing (smart and very funny at times). I was a little confused at different points (sometimes it felt like it was assumed you knew more than you did) but I was still able to get through and enjoy it without a problem. This was my first Tanya Huff read, but I'll definitely be reading more. ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
Loved it, more then I expected I would. There is a lot going on, and that is not always my thing, but it somehow got formed into a coherent whole. In the beginning, it was a bit confusing to figure out what was going on, but it becomes clear eventually. I like the family dynamics, the standing together, even though there are hints of power abuse for the good of all. It didn't come to the forefront too much, though. I'm glad the family members themselves are ok with the way their world works, because it could have become bitter otherwise, with the meddling and all. But there was no resentment, and apparently, none of the family felt it was too stifling. Or if they did, they got away for a bit, and this was accepted.

One definitely good thing, the women are awesome, they work together, and they also work together with the men. There may have been meddling, but mostly, there was a lot of support within the family, people backing each other where it was needed. This was cool! ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 3, 2016 |
The Enchanted Emporium is a delight from start to finish—by turns humorous, romantic (when it's not downright lusty), and dramatic. Huff finds a way to blend all the disparate threads into an engaging whole, which is no easy task.

So far, this is easily one of my favorite books of the year.

For Sue and Tom.

For True Love.

For Happily Ever After.
Shoot the moon was considered to be one of the more dangerous yoyo tricks.
power corrupts
I sold a yoyo while you were gone.

The Gales of Southern Ontario can change the world with the charms they cast, and they prefer to keep all this power in the family. The Gale Aunties are in charge of this clan, or like to think they are. Alysha, like all her cousins, often finds herself beset with too many Aunties trying to run her life.

So when a letter from her missing Gran arrives telling her that she's inherited a junk shop in Calgary, Alysha is ready and willing to honor her grandmother's last request to keep the shop open and serve "the community."

The Aunties, of course, want her to find out what really happened to Gran and come right back home, where they have her future mapped out for her.
It isn't until she arrives in Calgary that Alysha realizes it's the fey community she'll be serving in the Enchantment Emporium - and that one person's junk may be another person's magical treasure.
Finding out what happened to Gran will not be easy, especially since Alysha has no way of knowing just how much otherworldly trouble is brewing in Calgary. And even calling in family reinforcements may not be enough to save the day...

The bestselling author of the Blood Books delivers a masterful new urban fantasy.

Alysha Gale is a member of a family capable of changing the world with the charms they cast. Then she receives word that she's inherited her grandmother's junk shop in Calgary, only to discover upon arriving that she'll be serving the fey community. And when Alysha learns just how much trouble is brewing in Calgary, even calling in the family to help may not be enough to save the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:50 -0400)

Alysha Gale is a member of a family capable of changing the world with the charms it casts. Then she receives word that she's inherited her grandmother's junk shop in Calgary, only to discover upon arriving that she'll be serving the fey community. And when Alysha learns just how much trouble is brewing in Calgary, even calling in the family to help may not be enough to save the day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible