Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy…

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Guy Delisle (Author), Helge Dascher (Translator)

Member:timoheuer
Title:Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
Authors:Guy Delisle (Author)
Other authors:Helge Dascher (Translator)
Info:Drawn and Quarterly (2007), Ausgabe: 1st, 176 Seiten
Rating:***1/2
Tags:graphic novel, propaganda, autobiografie, nordkorea, lang:en

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle (2004)

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (lorax)
    lorax: Pyongyang is an outsider's view of the one part of the country where foreigners are generally permitted; Nothing to Envy is an inside look at ordinary life elsewhere in the country where the situation is even grimmer.
    Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle (2810michael)
    Shenzhen: A Travelogue From China by Guy Delisle (Ashles)
    Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City by Guy Delisle (Serviette)
    Siberiak: My Cold War Adventure on the River Ob by Jenny Jaeckel (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both are graphic novel memoirs about trips to foreign countries. Please note that Siberiak is about the author's experiences as a teenager while the narrator of Pyongyang is an adult, and I think that their ages do necessarily inform their experiences.
    Une vie chinoise, Tome 1 : Le temps du père by Kunwu Li (Henrik_Madsen)

English (48)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All (59)
I wouldn't go so far as other reviewers to say this book is racist, but I do understand criticisms of cultural insensitivity and misogyny. It's subtle, but I felt it. Aside from that, Delisle tells a good "Lost In Translation" type story. I think the mistake was giving too much insight into what the main character was thinking/feeling. I'm not a big reader of the graphic novel genre, but I think this one was done well. A few times I got lost at scene changes. Some sort of chunking with section breaks would have been nice. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
An engaging graphic novel, with an insight into a country which is stranger than Science Fiction. Fom the pen of an animator who lived in Pyongyang for 2 months. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Any coverage of civilian life in North Korea will be fascinating, and Guy Delisle's Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea doesn't challenge those expectations. Delisle worked as an animator for 2 months in Pyongyang, and his experience during those two months doesn't say anything new or particularly exciting compared to other literature or documentaries out there, but it's still an engaging format and an engaging experience.

Pyongyang's a shell of a city, where everyone's role is to keep up appearances: Make the city and the country look prosperous and content and happy. It's all very blatantly Nineteen Eighty-Four.

[N.B. This review includes images, and was formatted for my site, dendrobibliography -- located here.]

Delisle wrote this mostly working with that blatant comparison. His adventure starts with him smuggling in a single copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and quotes and comparisons are littered throughout his narrative, along with philosophical pondering on the meaning of George Orwell's writing. It's aggravatingly shallow. He's also pretty grumpy throughout his stay, and his reflections are condescending towards everyone he meets in-country. In that respect, he's a lot like Paul Theroux, but without the writing chops.

But is it interesting? Of course! When he's not staring at walls, getting drunk with other imported animators, or mocking locals, it's fascinating to get tours of North Korea's plethora of museums and monuments dedicated to its leader(s), or see its bungled architecture. We frequently run into 'volunteer' civilians helping improve the country by watering the grass...with small buckets, or cutting grass on the roadside...with scissors, using a DIY, extremely shaky weighted pulley system to construct (or appear to construct) buildings. It's all very surreal and fascinating, even if Delisle's writing, commentary, and art are mostly uninteresting. ( )
4 vote alaskayo | Jun 19, 2016 |
Interesting travelogue; a French animator's two months working in North Korea. ( )
  catfantastic | Aug 26, 2015 |
A truly enjoyable book, about a country a know little about, I dont yet own a copy but in the future I would like to add it to my collection. Very good indeed. ( )
  Claire5555 | Feb 20, 2015 |
I appreciated seeing such a personal view of a country I’ll never visit. I love comics that can expand my boundaries this way.

Delisle's evocative pencil drawings are suited to depicting a colourless, twilight world in which the state is all, with his rudimentary characters inhabiting vast and much more detailed architectural environments. Less well drawn are the inner lives of Pyongyang's citizens.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, David Thompson (Oct 15, 2006)

North Korea is a country suffering in more ways than the author makes note of and I’m sure any reader could surmise this from his account, but rather than mine the heart of this suffering, Delisle achieves the literary equivalent of hiding a paraplegic’s wheelchair.

So while Pyongyang reads like cartoonist Craig Thompson’s breezy and introspective European travel diary, Carnet de Voyage, its content dictates that it be filed beside political artist Joe Sacco’s hard-hitting, from-the-trenches graphic novels about Sarajevo and Palestine – minus the first-hand accounts of violence, drama, and abject poverty. Because while a city can’t cry for help, maybe the odd cartoonist can act as a proxy.

This is a graphic novel so well crafted that the text begins to work as secondary illustration: propaganda begins to flow freely from each cell, like the canned music and broadcast exhortations that trail into the 15th floor hotel rooms; a small frame exchange between Delisle and his handlers perfectly sets up a full-page illustration of the dialogue’s own irony.

En wat is dit?

From Amazon: From Publishers Weekly-

In 2001, French-Canadian cartoonist Delisle traveled to North Korea on a work visa to supervise the animation of a children's cartoon show for two months. While there, he got a rare chance to observe firsthand one of the last remaining totalitarian Communist societies. He also got crappy ice cream, a barrage of propaganda and a chance to fly paper airplanes out of his 15th-floor hotel window. Combining a gift for anecdote and an ear for absurd dialogue, Delisle's retelling of his adventures makes a gently humorous counterpoint to the daily news stories about the axis of evil, a Lost in Translation for the Communist world. Delisle shifts between accounts of his work as an animator and life as a visitor in a country where all foreigners take up only two floors of a 50-story hotel. Delisle's simple but expressive art works well with his account, humanizing the few North Koreans he gets to know (including "Comrade Guide" and "Comrade Translator"), and facilitating digressions into North Korean history and various bizarre happenings involving brandy and bear cubs. Pyongyang will appeal to multiple audiences: current events buffs, Persepolis fans and those who just love a good yarn.

One of the few Westerners granted access to North Korea documents his observations of the secretive society in this graphic travelogue that depicts the cultural alienation, boredom, and desires of ordinary North Koreans.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible