Born Female by Caroline Bird

Born Female (original 1968; edition 1969)

by Caroline Bird

791152,477 (5)None
Member:BettcherForrest
Title:Born Female
Authors:Caroline Bird
Info:Pocket Books (1969), Paperback
Tags:feminism, women

Born Female by Caroline Bird (1968)

Although somewhat dated, this book paints a pretty good picture of what it was like to become a career woman in the middle of the 20th century. The obstacles women faced, progress that was made, and barriers that were yet to be toppled.

40 years later, I'm glad that these women fought as hard as they did for equality, as I would be living a dramatically different life if not for equal opportunity for women.

One of the few things that struck me as not having changed at all in 40 years are the fact that women continue to face the difficult challenge of motherhood vs. career (it's difficult to take time off to tend to children if you don't have money coming in from another source, yet child care is prohibitively expensive for many women), and the fact that child support is still not publicly subsidized, and employers on the whole have little support for women who decide to start families.

Also, I find it striking that, 40 years later, engineering is still one of the fields where women are drastically underrepresented. It makes me proud to be one of the few, and I certainly hope that more will follow in time, but it makes me wonder exactly what's keeping women back. But I guess that's another story for another book. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,937,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible