Max's Chocolate Chicken by Rosemary Wells

Max's Chocolate Chicken (1989)

by Rosemary Wells

I really liked this book for many reasons. First of all, it is relatable to any child with siblings. Although the main characters are rabbits, they are believable characters who go through human experiences. Siblings love to start competitions with one another and every sibling knows the feeling of losing. This book is also relatable for Christian children who celebrate Easter while also being inclusive to everyone by not specifically mentioning the religious holiday. It is clear that this is an Easter book because of the colorful eggs and the egg hunt. The chocolate chicken itself is also a symbol and tradition of Easter, but the book would still grab a non-Christian reader’s attention because it’s main focus is not religion. I think the big idea of this story is that sharing is important and often the right thing to do, especially for the people you care about. Once Ruby told Max she would share her chocolate chicken with him, Max came out of his hiding spot with the chicken. Max was trying to be sneaky and steal it from Ruby, but realized it would be best if he shared with his sister. The illustrations go well with the story and include a lot of Spring and Easter colors. There are only one or two sentences on each page, making this book age-appropriate for young readers who cannot focus their attention on a book for long periods of time. For a young reader, the plot is also engaging. Although there is not a well-developed conflict, the suspense of not knowing which sibling will win the chocolate chicken is engaging for young elementary school students. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Oct 8, 2016 |
This was not my favorite easter book. I have seen the show max and ruby so I figured I'd one of the books. Although, this would be a cute book to teach about brother/sister relationships and the importance of sharing. ( )
  RaineyNicole | Apr 29, 2015 |
"Max's Chocolate Chicken" by Rosemary Wells is about a rabbit named Max, who finds a chocolate chicken. His sister, Ruby and him plays a game whoever find the most eggs gets the chocolate chicken. The winner gets the chocolate chicken. Max loses patients because he could not find any eggs so he eats the chocolate chicken. It will teach young children to play fair and you will get rewarded at the end. ( )
  thnguyen | Nov 26, 2014 |
This was definitely not one of my favorite Holiday books. The book describes Max cheating during the Easter egg hunt and hurting his sister’s feelings, however, there were absolutely no repercussions for his behavior. In he end, he ate half of the chocolate bunny and gave his sister the remaining chunk of it. The book ended abruptly, meaning that the author did not do a great job at tying together the message and plot of the story. The main message of the story was following rules and Easter traditions. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I just didn't feel the love for this book, which I checked out in honor of the upcoming Easter holiday. The thought of a chocolate chicken sounded cute, but I didn't identify with Max in this story, eventhough I am the younger sibling in my family. Ah, well, can't win them all. :) ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
For Janet, who helped enormously
One morning somebody put a chocolate chicken in the birdbath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140566724, Paperback)

How we love Max--the mischievous toddler rabbit who is often battling wits and wills with his bossy-boots older sister Ruby. Now it's time for the siblings' Easter egg hunt! Just as the festivities are about to begin, a secretive Easter Bunny places a huge chocolate chicken in the birdbath. "I love you," Max innocently declares to the edible chicken he covets. "Wait Max," warns Ruby. "First we must go on an egg hunt. If you find the most eggs then you get the chocolate chicken." But Max, who is still young enough to be distracted by mud puddles and marching ants, can't possibly focus on finding a single egg. When it becomes obvious that Ruby has collected the most (if not all) of the Easter eggs, Max takes drastic measures--as the youngest sibling often will--and steals the chicken. Rosemary Wells's expressive, giggle-funny illustrations (along with the board-book format) make this a perfect Easter story for toddlers as well as preschoolers, who will delight in Max's blatant misbehavior and relish the inevitable happy ending. (Baby to preschool) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:34 -0400)

Max and his sister Ruby go on an egg hunt and vie with each other for the prize--a chocolate chicken.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,161,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible