Special Topics in Calamity Physics by…

Special Topics in Calamity Physics (edition 2007)

by Marisha Pessl

Member:herzogbr
Title:Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Authors:Marisha Pessl
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Paperback, 528 pages
Tags:2007-10, fiction, literature, growing up, father, daughter, high school, philosophy, night watchmen, the night watchmen, conspiracy, laurie

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

Recently added bynikkinmichaels, DCL54, Wilgot-A-Elf, INorris, Edvithe, private library, lovelypenny, Tarar, Beene, bundi68
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Eumenides, shellibrary, Littlemissmops)
    The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Precocious young women in small towns.
    The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Littlemissmops)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (kinsey_m)
    The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books offer in-detail insights into life as a young adult when interacting with others.
    My Latest Grievance by Elinor Lipman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books offer sharp humor offered by a student.
    Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag by Ariel Schrag (lorax)
    Among Others by Jo Walton (sturlington)
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (lycomayflower)
    Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson (Mossa)
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (krist_ellis)
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (krist_ellis)
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday (sarahemmm)
    sarahemmm: This is worth trying if you like the unusual format of Pessl's book.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at issues encountered by one particular student.

English (254)  Dutch (7)  French (5)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (270)
The way this book is set up is so clever, I immediately loved it. I also thought that the plot was equal parts relatable and realistic (her high school days) and still suspenseful and unpredictable. I really loved it. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

***

This book. This book may be my book of 2015. It is everything. I loved the crap out of it. I loved the voice, I loved the story, I loved the characters, I ruined dinner because of this book (protip: don't try to read and salt the dinner at the same time. Turns out too much salt tastes absolutely dreadful). I did not see the whole unfolding plot coming but I was so excited with each thing that happened. Yeah, it is super-referential, and I'm pretty sure I understood fewer than half of those references, but I didn't even care. It was a contstruct that I could get behind, something that I could really immerse myself in and say "okay, so this is how it's going to be. Let's run with it!"

I want to buy this book for everyone I've ever met. I can't explain it, there was just this magic about it. I really, really want to read Night Film now.

thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
I'm still wrapping my head around this book. It's very detailed, incredibly well-researched. I'm impressed. It's not the type of book where you feel good walking away from. The ending didn't feel like an ending, more like an ending interrupted, but I think that is exactly what the writer (Marisha Pessl) intended. In that way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ending. The reader is left thinking and wondering. We can fill in the blanks for ourselves.

In some ways, it was difficult to read this book just because it was set up like an incredibly long MLA essay. I found myself skimming over things when they got incredibly scientific. Only once did I feel like I had missed something when I skipped sections, and the time that I did feel as though I missed something, going back and re-reading it twice, thoroughly didn't give me any more closure. I think those who read this book very closely will have it figured out long before I did.

I found the writing to be very careful and very deliberate. I think this book is an excellent example to aspiring writers about the importance of relevant information and careful editing - every word in this book was there for a reason. Regardless of whether or not it was an enjoyable book, it was an excellent piece of writing.

As for the characters, they were remarkably real-to-life. If you're looking for a happy ending or beautiful, romantic characters, there isn't a single one to be found. All the characters are either depressingly shallow people (note: I said people, not characters. The characters are very round.) or else they are a lying caricature of themselves. It's difficult to find a single character to sympathise with, to care about. Mostly, as the reader, I found that I wanted answers. That was why I kept reading. But I didn't read the last chapter, which was in the format of a "final exam". I had read enough, and I think that even without that supposedly knowing the deepest, darkest secret that chapter may reveal, I know enough. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 29, 2016 |
Her exhilarating synthesis of the classic and the modern, frivolity and fate — “Pnin” meets “The O.C.” — is a poetic act of will. Never mind jealous detractors: virtuosity is its own reward. And this skylarking book will leave readers salivating for more.

Marisha Pesslprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne and Nic
Dad always said a person must have a magnificent reason for writing out his or her Life Story and expecting anyone to read it.
"Unless your name is something along the lines of Mozart, Matisse, Churchill, or Bond--James Bond--you best spend your free time finger painting or playing shuffleboard, for no one, with the exception of your flabby-armed mother with stiff hair and a mashed-potato way of looking at you, will want to hear the particulars of your pitiable existence, which doubtlessly will end as it began--with a wheeze."

Special Topics in Calamity Physics, the dazzling debut of Marisha Pessl, is a buoyant combination of comedy, tragedy, mystery, and romance, a story of disturbing secrets and the eccentric high school student who uncovers them. It is a coming-of-age tale and a disturbing mystery. a snapshot of the dark relationship between ideology and violence but also the poignant tale of a young woman learning to stand on her own.

?Dazzling,? (People) ?Exuberant,? (Vogue) ?marvelously entertaining,? (The Dallas Morning News) Marisha Pessl?s mesmerizing debut has critics raving and heralds the arrival of a vibrant new voice in American fiction. At the center of this ?cracking good read?4 is clever, deadpan Blue van Meer, who has a head full of literary, philosophical, scientific, and cinematic knowledge. But she could use some friends. Upon entering the elite St. Gallway school, she finds some?a clique of eccentrics known as the Bluebloods. One drowning and one hanging later, Blue finds herself puzzling out a byzantine murder mystery. Nabokov meets Donna Tartt (then invites the rest of the Western Canon to the party) in this novel?with ?visual aids? drawn by the author?that has won over readers of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:51 -0400)

In a plot modeled after the syllabus of a college literature course, teen narrator Blue Van Meer and her father Gareth end ten years of wandering by settling in Stockton, N.C. There, Blue befriends, sort of, a group of eccentric geniuses (referred to by their classmates as the Bluebloods) and their ringleader, film studies teacher Hannah Schneider. As Blue becomes enmeshed with Hannah and the Bluebloods, the novel becomes a murder mystery when a friend of Hannah's dies at a party the kids have crashed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,236,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible