Copper River by William Kent Krueger

A little bit different in that none of the regular characters, save Cork himself, are in this book. Deena from the last book has reappeared which in my opinion is a good thing. I hope to see Corks family, Jewell and Ren, work their way back into the may story. Things had gotten a little dry with Joe's family back home so it was good to mix it up.

I had totally forgotten about the prologue to the story when it hit me in the face later. Who names a dog Snatch? Fast moving plot, lots of twists and turns.

Ordering the next in series today. ( )
  she_climber | Feb 9, 2017 |
Krueger continues to deliver in the Corcoran O’Connor series. This one is set away from the usual haunts and characters of the series as Cork hides out from a contract on his head. Anyone who likes mystery/thrillers should enjoy this series. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 14, 2016 |
Book Description
Publication Date: August 22, 2006

The sixth novel in William Kent Krueger's award-winning suspense series finds Cork O'Connor running for his life -- straight into a murderous conspiracy involving teenage runaways.

In well-crafted settings that are beautiful and unforgiving, with unforgettable characters and jaw-dropping surprises, William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor thrillers have drawn a flood of awards and praise. The latest in the series finds the sheriff running for his life from professional hit men who have already put a bullet through his leg. Desperate, he finds sanctuary outside a small town called Bodine on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in an old resort owned by his cousin, Jewell DuBois. Though Jewell, a bitter widow whose husband may have been killed by cops, keeps Cork at arm's length, her fourteen-year-old son, Ren, is looking for a friend. But being a father figure to Ren will prove more difficult than Cork could possibly imagine.

When the body of a young girl surfaces along the banks of the Copper River and another teenager vanishes, Cork must choose between helping to solve these deadly mysteries and thwarting the hit men who draw closer to him with every hour. Recklessly, he turns from his own worries and focuses on tracking the conspiracy of killers before Ren and his best friend, Charlie, fall victim. It's an error -- one a good man might make -- but as the contract killers who are hunting him close in, Cork realizes too late that it may be the last mistake he'll ever make.

The trail left by the dead girl eventually leads to a shelter for homeless youth and into the grim reality of children lost and abandoned, who become easy prey for the perverted appetites of human predators. All small towns have buried secrets but, as Cork soon learns, this one has more than its share.

I love this series and this book was his best so far! Exciting story and wonderful characters are William Kent Krueger's strong point. Can't wait to read the next book in the series and see what direction Cork will take in his life! These books are never a dull moment with many twists and turns! ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Cork, on the run from a mob boss, ends up wounded at the home of a cousin, a veterinarian the UP of Michigan.. Interesting new characters with a strong assist from Dina enable him to solve a long past local crime. The cast gets stronger but more wide spread. so some challenges for the author to include them in future books. ( )
  jamespurcell | Aug 25, 2014 |
The next adventure of Irish/Native American sheriff Cork O'Connor finds our hero running from a mafia-like crime boss who has the mistaken idea that Cork has killed his son.  Cork is hiding out in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with his long-lost cousin. To protect his wife and kids back home he has not told them where he is.  He's wounded, out of touch, and trying desperately to find the bad guy who is responsible for the crime so he can go home, be reinstated as Sheriff, and get his life back to normal.

This one was quite different.  The normal cast of characters we've come to know and love play only peripheral roles.  Here we have a new batch of relatives, stories, and troubles. Cork's bodyguard/sidekick in this escapade is a delightful female Dina,  who befriends the cousins particularly a young woman working her way through a very traumatic adolescence. It appears the lovely Miss Dina put in an appearance in one the two previous books that I missed in this series, so I'll definitely be going back to catch up. In this sixth of the series, there seems to be more action, less philosophy of life, but in the end, with the change of scenery and addition of new characters Krueger has freshened and expanded the series and left us still looking forward to the next volume.

These are hard to review at length without giving away the plot, something I hate in mystery reviews.  Suffice it to say that the Native American lore and the strong and colorful descriptions of a very scenic geography provide a robust basis for the exciting cliff-hangar of a plot.  As I said, I need to catch up. I've got one of the two I missed on hold at the library.  Readers would probably be better advised to start at the beginning of the series, although enough back-fill is provided to be able to jump in at this point. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jun 10, 2013 |
Henry Meloux, the old Ojibwe Mide, might tell the story this way.

Part Irish, part Native-American, Sheriff Cork O'Connor serves the remote territory of Tamarack County, Minnesota. But big trouble is brewing: a powerful man believes O'Connor killed his son. Now there's a price on the sheriff's head and a bullet in his leg. He finds refuge with his cousin, Jewell, and her teenage son, Ren, in their tiny Michigan town....… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible