A Pearl in the Storm: How I Found My Heart…

A Pearl in the Storm: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean

by Tori Murden Mcclure

How I love adventure memoirs! Amazing the way she can put us right there with her as the hurricane is upending the rowboat and she's crashing around, losing all her communications equipment, all alone in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Gripping writing. Her back story was interesting too, but my only quibble was that it interrupted the dramatic peril too often. ( )
  bobbieharv | Oct 10, 2013 |
I'm glad I read this, though I wasn't entirely satisfied with it. Tori McClure seems to be a hard-charging person who is always searching for the next challenge she can obliterate. She is very impatient with people who ask her why she wanted to row across the Atlantic -- and I kept wanting to ask her why that is such a frustrating question. It is a very sensible question, because not only did she put herself in serious jeopardy, she caused family and friends a lot of anxiety. But nevertheless, she did do it and is an impressive woman (I wish she had spent less time trying to impress the reader -- but I think she has issues of trying to prove herself). At times, the trip did seem magical when dolphins or whales came to visit, and it must be something to know that you can put your mind to doing something so enormously challenging. Also, I was glad to see that she refused to activate her EPIRB (the distress signal) until after the storm she was in subsided, so she would not put rescuers in danger. Coming from a Coast Guard family, I appreciated that because so many people do stupid things and then the rescuers are forced to jeopardize themselves. She avoided some issues that I think are relevant, like her family dynamics growing up, probably because of their sensitivity. But she was open about other things. Overall, an interesting read. ( )
  creynolds | Jun 26, 2012 |
This was an excellent book because it changed from what you expect to something entirely different. A PEARL IN THE STORM: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean -
" Tori Murden McClure. McClure is one of the most interesting people I know of, and also one of the most compassionate. This story of her attempt to row solo across the Atlantic also offers an insight into the philosophies that guide her through her extraordinary life. She currently is President of Spaulding College in Louisville. Not a big book but one that gets into your heart and mind."

She is a remarkable person and one is inspired by her story. ( )
  Cyss | Apr 1, 2012 |
An incredibly inspiring memoir. I loved this book and wish I could give it more than five stars. She is a master story teller and I highly recommend this book to male/female young/old. It was fantastic! I couldn't wait for the end and am so sorry it's over! Who could ask for more!! Don't miss it! I don't even want to tell what it is about... just read it!! ( )
  LASMIT | Nov 19, 2011 |
Tori Murden McClure was the first woman to row solo across the Atlantic. In her memoir, she combines details of her heroic adventure with snippets of the life that led her to the rowboat. This is an absolutely inspiring and un-put-downable story. Tori puts the reader right in the middle of the action and you're battling the swells and watching billions of stars right along with her. This book is published for the adult market, but it has great crossover appeal for young adults - what teen hasn't felt like they're alone in a rowboat during a hurricane? Seriously.

http://www.abbythelibrarian.com/2011/01/crossover-pearl-in-storm.html ( )
  abbylibrarian | Jan 19, 2011 |

"In the end," writes Tori McClure, "I know I rowed across the Atlantic to find my heart, but in the beginning, I wasn't aware that it was missing."

During June 1998, Tori McClure set out to row across the Atlantic Ocean by herself in a twenty-three-foot plywood boat with no motor or sail. Within days she lost all communication with shore, but nevertheless she decided to keep going. Not only did she lose the sound of a friendly voice, she lost updates on the location of the Gulf Stream and on the weather. Unfortunately for Tori, 1998 is still on record as the worst hurricane season in the North Atlantic. In deep solitude and perilous conditions, she was nonetheless determined to prove what one person with a mission can do. When she was finally brought to her knees by a series of violent storms that nearly killed her, she had to signal for help and go home in what felt like complete disgrace.

Back in Kentucky, however, Tori's life began to change in unexpected ways. She fell in love. At the age of thirty-five, she embarked on a serious relationship for the first time, making her feel even more vulnerable than sitting alone in a tiny boat in the middle of the Atlantic. She went to work for Muhammad Ali, who told her that she did not want to be known as the woman who "almost" rowed across the Atlantic Ocean. And she knew that he was right.

In this thrilling story of high adventure and romantic quest, Tori McClure discovers through her favorite way—the hard way—that the most important thing in life is not to prove you are superhuman but to fully to embrace your own humanity. With a wry sense of humor and a strong voice, she gives us a true memoir of an explorer who maps her world with rare emotional honesty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

During June 1998, Tori McClure set out to row across the Atlantic Ocean by herself in a 23-foot plywood boat with no motor or sail. She lost communications, but nevertheless decided to keep going, without updates on the location of the Gulf Stream and the weather--in what became the North Atlantic's worst hurricane season. When a series of violent storms nearly killed her, she had to signal for help and go home in what felt like complete disgrace. Back in Kentucky, however, Tori's life began to change. At the age of 35, she embarked on a serious relationship for the first time, making her feel even more vulnerable than sitting alone in the middle of the Atlantic. But she knew she did not want to be known as the woman who "almost" rowed across the Atlantic Ocean...--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible