Warrior by Marie Brennan

Warrior (2006)

by Marie Brennan

Dualed by Elsie Chapman (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Very similar concepts, but one book is a YA dystopia and one is high fantasy.

An interesting blend of religious & political intrigue and personal identity. ( )
  fergie20 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Wanted to like it more than I did. 2.5 if there were half stars. ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
What a creative book! Her world building is impressive, although I wish I could have read more about it than just the glossary. The artificial depth was mostly well done but It certainly felt contrived at some points. I loved the idea behind the Goddess in her five Aspects, the channel and the elements of magic. So creative, as of course I knew to expect after The Secret History of Dragons . I can hardly wait to read Witch!!! ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I have had this book around to read forever. I was excited to finally get to read it. I originally thought this was an urban fantasy but it is actually more of a swords and sorcery type fantasy. I ended up really loving the world and the characters. This book was also published under the title Warrior. There is sequel to this book which was published both as Warrior and Witch, and as Witch.

Mirage is a bounty hunter who has always survived by her wits and strength. Her and Eclipse get a job to hunt down a man who assassinated a witch. Mirage tries to stay away from any job involving the witches but the money and notoriety for this job is just too much to pass up.

Miryo is a 25 year old witch who was supposed to graduate into her powers but didn’t. Ends up when a witch is born a doppelganger is also born; this doppelganger has no soul and must be killed at birth in order for a witch to come into her full powers. Miryo’s doppelganger was never killed and so Miryo is tasked with finding that doppleganger and hunting it down. Unfortunately for Miryo and Mirage, Mirage is that doppleganger and she isn’t going to go down easily.

The first part of this book is quite a bit of setup, but after you get through that the story really picks up and gets engaging. I really enjoyed the world-building and the detailed religion the witches follow. The whole idea behind how the witches come into their power is intriguing.

Watching Miryo and Mirage and seeing how they are the same yet different was also intriguing. I also really enjoyed Eclipse as a character, he is in a supporting role and he is awesome at it. He is supportive, smart, and respectful and just generally helpful. There is absolutely no romance in this story; so if you are looking for romanc....look elsewhere.

The action scenes are really well written and full of lots of great detail. I will admit at some points there was a bit too much detail and I found myself skimming a bit. However, most of it was well done. The story ties up nicely, but there is still more to be resolved in the sequel.

This was a very well done fantasy with some great world building, interesting magic, and engaging characters. I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. I would recommend to fans of classic swords and sorcery type of fantasy. I plan on picking up the second book in the series to read. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 7, 2015 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I picked up this book because Marie Brennan is a graduate student at Indiana University where I also went to grad school, so I felt a connection there. Overall, Doppelganger is a good debut.

At first the story follows the separate lives of Mirage, a kick-butt warrior who has recently graduated from warrior school and makes her living by being commissioned for various dangerous tasks, and Miryo, a witch who has been in school and has just failed her "final exam" because of the existence of Mirage, the doppelganger. Every witch has a doppelganger who is supposed to be killed while they are babies so that the magic power can be controlled by the witch. Because Mirage was not killed, Miryo must hunt her down and kill her.

Meanwhile, Mirage and her friend Eclipse (he's also a warrior), have just taken on a murder investigation that ends up uncovering the plot of some rogue witches to let the doppelgangers live. Eventually, Mirage's and Miryo's paths cross as each woman sets out to meet her own goals which end up colliding with the other's.

Doppelganger was well-written and Marie Brennan has a good ear for dialogue. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of both Mirage and Miryo in their respective school programs. It was obvious to me that Ms Brennan is using her own grad school experience because I've been through the exact same thing. The way she talked about Mirage and Eclipse, as year mates, being like brother and sister was right on; I likewise had a male year mate who was like a brother to me during that ordeal. I could totally relate to that, and to the other aspects of school (advisors, qualifying exams, studying) that she described.

The story was interesting, but I had some issues. First of all, it annoyed me when characters didn't ask some obvious questions of their advisors or the people they worked for. As one example, why didn't Miryo ask her advisors why she had to kill the doppelganger herself? She had no travel or fighting experience and the witches had the resources to hire others to do this sort of job. At first I thought this was a plot hole and was surprised at what seemed like a graduate student's lack of logic. But, later this question was answered logically and reasonably, but I still wondered why Miryo didn't think to ask it at the beginning.

One other thing that I felt needed improvement was the description of the major characters. I had been assuming, based on the cover of the book, that Mirage had long hair, but I was surprised to find out half way through that she had "cropped" hair. Also, Eclipse was never well-described which disappointed me because, as the only "good" male character in the novel, I would have liked to have been able to visualize him. The villains (Ice, the bad witches, Wraith) could have been deeper and more impressive characters with a bit more description of their looks and mannerisms.

Lastly, the issues between Mirage and Miryo were too quickly overcome. I would have liked to have seen them hunt each other for a while (or at least distrust each other more), but nearly as soon as they met they decided to work things out. That was a bit anti-climatic. And though I did like the ending, it all seemed a bit too easy.

Despite these issues, I think Marie Brennan writes well (which is more than half the battle won) and therefore, this is a good debut from a promising new author.

Read more Marie Brennan reviews at Fantasy Literature ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Rain pattered steadily through the leaves of the wood and dripped to the ground below.
Doppelganger was republished under the title Warrior in 2008

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616982, Mass Market Paperback)

When a witch is born, a doppelganger is created. For a witch to master her powers, the twin must be killed. But what happens when the doppelganger survives? This debut is an original adventure fantasy about a young witch who must kill her twin in order to survive. Original.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:19 -0400)

"Mirage, a bounty hunter, lives by her wits and lethal fighting skills. She always gets her mark. But her new mission will take her into the shadowy world of witches, where her strength may not be a match against powerful magic. Miryo is a witch who has just failed her initiation test. She now knows that there is someone in the world who looks like her, who is her: Mirage. To control her powers and become a full witch, Miryo has only one choice: to hunt the hunter and destroy her"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Marie Brennan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible