Rule of the Bone: A Novel by Russell Banks

Rule of the Bone: A Novel (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Russell Banks

Member:othersam
Title:Rule of the Bone: A Novel
Authors:Russell Banks
Info:Minerva (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 320 pages

Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks (1995)

This book is pitch perfect from start to finish. A great coming of age novel that managed to deal with weighty issues with a light touch. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I found this book on the side of the road a few years ago and had no idea what to expect - I was more than pleasantly surprised by the originality of the writing, the topic and the character development. Its gritty edge and fast paced action make it a compelling read while immersing the reader in a deeper conversation about self and personal growth.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to expand their reading list in an unconventional way. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Jan 17, 2017 |
Rule of the Bone is the story of a teenage boy who's confused about life. He's got his mohawk, his loser friends, and he's got a couch to sleep on at the den of a local motorcycle gang. A whole lot of things get out of hand - a drug deal gone bad and fatal fire among them - and our boy is sent off wandering the country - and then the world - as he slowly grows up and comes to term with his life. This book is heartbreaking and funny and has such a unique voice. I really enjoyed the slow, convincing character development and the subtle humor. Two thumbs up from this gal. ( )
  agnesmack | Jul 20, 2016 |
Love this book. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
Rule of the Bone is certainly a book worth reading. Its about a teen that really hasn’t been a teen very long. His home life leaves a lot to be desired, as many are. He goes through many ups and downs and they are serious downs. A normal kid, mixed up, tries the boundaries because the home life pushes him to look outside for love, comfort and who he is and could be. The ending not perfect but it does give hope for other teens that are going through on or all of the things he does. ( )
  denisa.howe | Feb 26, 2015 |
You'll probably think I'm making a lot of this up just to make me sound better than I really am or smarter or even luckier but I'm not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

When we first meet him, Chappie is a punked-out teenager living with his mother and abusive stepfather in an upstate New York trailer park. During this time, he slips into drugs and petty crime. Rejected by his parents, out of school and in trouble with the police, he claims for himself a new identity as a permanent outsider; he gets a crossed-bones tattoo on his arm, and takes the name "Bone." He finds dangerous refuge with a group of biker-thieves, and then hides in the boarded-up summer house of a professor and his wife. He finally settles in an abandoned schoolbus with Rose, a child he rescues from a fast-talking pedophile. There Bone meets I-Man, an exiled Rastafarian, and together they begin a second adventure that takes the reader from Middle America to the ganja-growing mountains of Jamaica. It is an amazing journey of self-discovery through a world of magic, violence, betrayal and redemption.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible