Under The Dome by Stephen King

Under The Dome

by Stephen King

The Stand by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (328)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (347)
READ IN ENGLISH

I expected this book to be so unbelievably good, as it was written by Stephen King and some of my friends always tell me everything he has written (and they've read) is pure gold. And, besides that, it's Dystopian. So, how bad could it be?

The story seems a bit similar to the Gone-series (Michael Grant), with it's first book published almost simultaneously with Under The Dome (at least in The Netherlands).
An enormous sphere is placed around a little town, trapping everything -and everyone- who's in that town at that moment 'under this dome'. As is often seen in Dystopian novels, control and 'normal human behavior' is one of the first things the people run out off. Survival of the strongest (not necessarily the fittest, but just the persons handling the guns).

Problem just was that I thought it to be boring sometimes, there were so many characters, and normally I don't mind, but here it really was a lot. And there was quite a high body count as well (and fast, normally I wouldn't expect a total loss of control just that fast).
What I didn't really liked either was how King was giving away everything with a bit of suspense that was about to happen. *SPOILERS FOLLOWING* For example, a man decides to go and shoot people in a police office. Okay, you think. But before he does shoot this people down, you get to read 'I'm going to go to the police station now to kill some people'.
Surprise, surprise, what would happen next?

I really wanted to like this book, but because of these things I just thought it to be a very long read, with it's almost 900 pages. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I am not a big Stephen King fan, but from what I have read it seems for him, that the bigger the book, the better the book. ( )
  daeverett | May 24, 2016 |
I'm only 200 pages in, but HOLY COW! Crazy story... and keeps reminding me of The Stand- not in content, but in spirit. Loving it so far!

Okay, now just over 300 pages, and it's only day 3. I don't know if my nerves can take this book!!

Almost 400 pages in, and WTF? I'm dying- DYING- to know what's about to happen... and it won't be good, I know that much. Big Jim and his psycho son need to go. If I could get under that damn dome I'd kill them myself!

Officially half-way through the book. It's day 4 and the shit has hit multiple fans, I'm completely enthralled, and really wish I could find a way into a fictional world so I can commit multiple accounts of fictional murder. You're killing me, Mr. King... you're fucking killing me.

800 pages in now and all I can do in mumble incoherently about justified murder and Yankee rednecks...

HOLY SHIT!!! What a frickin ride... total mindfuck... I'm going to need a few days to get over this story. Maybe a month or so.

So good! So, SO good! Very much in the spirit of The Stand. Totally blown away! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
I had not King since high school when I devoured everything he wrote Carrie, Cujo, The Stand, Pet Cemetery, Salems Lot and who could forget IT. Hee-bee Jee-bee's scare the hell out of you!! So when the TV Series Under the Dome came out and ended on such a cliff hanger holy cow batman I can not wait until the season starts back up to find out what happens. Downloaded the book to my kindle and I should have known that the series took artistic liberties and was more of a re-imagining. Thank goodness Barbie is still a good guy and Big Jim can I get an AMEN!

The Book - Wow! King does not disappoint with a whole cast of characters some you cheer for and hope they make it through the nightmare that has become their life and others not only disgust you and make your skin crawl you hope they get caught or better yet Karma takes them. What do you get when you slam a glass dome down on a small town, you get the world amplified in a giant snow globe for everyone to see. In the real world if you have the means you can escape but under the dome you are like a mouse caught in a trap. I know you can picture that guy with the GOD complex and whom power becomes the ultimate drug and everyone else is to just bow to his beck and call without question. This book takes hold and you want to turn away or put it down but you have to know does good triumph or is it going to be a "clusterbug" for the ages.

The TV Series - Kudos to a great re-imagining so far so good. Cannot wait to see how this package gets tied up and what kind of an ending is in store for Chesters Mill. Great job casting the characters of Barbie, Big Jim, Junior and Julie the key characters to the story.

Final Thoughts - If the zombie apocalypse, hurricane, major blizzard has not made you get supplies this book should make you think about disaster preparedness and survival. Whatever you do keep a low profile do not get on the radar of the Big Jim Rennie of your town. What do we always say things like that could never happen in my town. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Under the Dome is a huge, big, enormous book filled with all kinds of characters that are pretty similar to many other of King's characters. The premise (small town enclosed in unexplained forcefield, starts to eat itself) is intriguing, but by page 300 I had figured out "whodunnit" and guessed why (in an 1100 page book). Disappointing.

Duma Key another recent Stephen King publication, was a wonderful book with unique characters who had depth and didn't remind me of any other King creations. The main character really struggles and sometimes fails badly. The story has just enough creepy overtones to satisfy. Maybe I prefer my bad guys to be more supernatural, than just politicalIf you want to read an excellent newer King book, pass on Under the Dome and read Duma Key instead.

debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for
What was his name
you can prob'ly find him
at the football game
it's a small town
you know what I mean
it's a small town, son
and we all support the team.
—James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,905,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible