Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel

by Stephen King

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (296)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (315)
I am not sure how I feel about this book, a large part of me loves it but there is some disappointment. When I started it I felt overwhelmed with all the different characters and the events that were happening so fast. I'm glad I pushed through that because mid-way through the book I was hooked by a very captivating plot that focused on the power struggle, drugs and a few supernatural themes. The characters at first seemed very one dimensional, you have your good guys and your bad, but there were little things that made them have more depth. The ending wasn't bad, it isn't what I expected (not in a clever way either, just random). I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm disappointed with the ending, it just felt like a ending to a completely different book that what I was reading. I feel like more could of been done with the ending and other factors in the plot, but overall a pretty good book and definitely worth reading. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I laughed more at the first fifty pages than I've laughed at any book for a long time. The humour's so dark as to be perverse. There are funny moments throughout the book, but you laugh less perhaps when bad things are happening to characters you like.

You can make any number of comparisons between life under the dome and our own situation, perhaps the most obvious being the pollution of the environment in a closed system; but there are also endless political comparisons to be made. Barbie's moral ambiguity is perhaps most interesting in this regard because it calls to mind what British and American forces did to those poor Iraqis. Going to their country and hurting them, without pity or remorse, in a situation from which they couldn't escape.

Not that this is some heavy symbolic work. It's storystorystory all the way through, and human interest all the way baby. ( )
  Lukerik | May 12, 2015 |
I love Stephen King's characters. I also love how the story was very Lord of the Flies. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I picked this up because a friend was reading it and was enjoying the multiple points of views. Right away I remembered why I stopped reading King so many years ago.
The characters are too folksy-jokey for me, the plot points often seem to be included only for laughs, and while the level of writing is common for genre works, the lack of any other driver made me put it down. I really wanted to read this book because I thought that as a writer who works with multiple viewpoints, it might have something to offer. But I just couldn't get through more than 30 pages. Pure torture all the way. ( )
1 vote Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
Never done this before: read a book while watching the series based on said book simultaneously. I ususally prefer to read the book before I see the movie or series, because I love to make my own in-head-movie while reading.
Seeing what other people made of it often seriously spoils the fun I had reading, or, if I hadn't read the book yet, makes me repeat the movie I saw instead of creating my own.

Well now, about this book... I liked it a lot. It was quite a shock to read that things are handled differently here than in the series. Did you read well what I just wrote: differently. Not better, not worse, just different.
For some reason the things that happen in the book have the same logic to it, as the things I saw in the series.
Which means, that it is good. I won't give any details on either of them, since there are probably people who haven't read the book or seen the series. The end is surprising, but very logical. Lots of characters that I needed to get acquainted with, but I like that in a book. They all had a part to play and a contribution to make to the greater whole of this book.

I'm sorry that I've finished.

Despite I liked the early King-books too, I'm happy that his latest works are more 'normal' without giant spiders or things like that. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 14, 2015 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for/What was his name/you can prob'ly find him/at the football game/it's a small town/you know what I mean/it's a small town, son/and we all support the team. --James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible