Under the Dome by Stephen King

Under the Dome

by Stephen King

The Stand by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (288)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (307)
This is the first Stephen King book I've read. I HATE horror and tension in books and movies - so I have stayed far away. Then I caught just a part of one episode of this on TV and thought it looked intriguing.

As soon as I started reading I was hooked. It is the kind of book I really enjoy - tons of story lines criss-crossing and weaving to create a story. I kept waiting for the tension and gore and all that I hated. But, when it came I was so deeply invested in the story that I just kept reading.

The story is a week in the life of a small Maine town after a dome has fallen cutting it off from the world. Life inside the dome could have been fine - but the town is run by Big Jim Rennie - a megomaniac leader who believes that he can do anything in the name of Christianity and National pride. He runs over anyone who tries to actually improve the town because he was not the one to plan it. And he does have a plan - to line his pockets with money from his hidden industry - one that is completely and totally illegal - and needs the towns resources to make it work.

The other main character is Barbie - a retired Marine, drifter and short order cook who was on his way out of town when the dome came down. Barbie was leaving town after a run in with Big Jim's completely insane son, Junior and his croonies. Then the dome came down. Barbie is the voice of reason and reality so of course he is Big Jim's arch enemy. It doesn't help that Barbie's connections on the other side of the dome have delivered a letter from the President naming him the leader of the town.
This is a story of what could happen and what doesn't need to happen.

But that is what is happening inside the dome. But there is also the story of the dome itself...That is a story of the potential of cruelty and callousness of all of us.

It isn't all grim. There are moments of great love and caring. There are people who are willing to give up everything for the good of others.

And that is what makes a great story - the good and the bad in all of us and how it comes together.

Wow! King can tell a story! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
** 2013 -- Re-reading for no other reason than to see if it's as lame as I thought before.

I would give this book a higher rating if it wasn't so heavy and I could find a more comfortable position to read it in. I'm only a couple hundred pages in.The other thing is I know everyone's trapped under the dome and he's set up all the characters in typical King fashion and I can guess what all those characters are going to do (Worry, Fuck, and Kill - but don't worry, the good guy always wins). I think I'll wait for either great muscular biceps or a kindle to appear on my bookshelf. Neither seem likely soon. ( )
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this audio version of The Dome. Narrator did a fabulous job of bringing to life each and everyone of the characters. As usual King creates in depth realistic characters that you grow to love and hate. Reminded me at times of The Stand, which those who know me understand that that is a huge compliment. Storyline moves nicely (could use a little less nasty descriptions and inner monologues) and lots of twists and turns. Hated having to stop listening so the dog ended up going for lots of long walks and house is cleaner

Have been a fan of many works by King and still believes he needs to be edited more and wish he didn't kill off so many kids and animals. However, I highly recommend this one. You will not be disappointed. Bravo Mr King ( )
  mountie9 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Under the Dome by Stephen King opens with a pilot and instructor flying over the sleepy Maine countryside and then suddenly being smashed to pieces. A rock solid but completely transparent dome has encircled a town in Maine, effectively cutting it off from the rest of the world.

Thus follows many more deaths. Really the first hundred pages or so are just the stupidest folks of the town all rushing towards the invisible barrier to their untimely deaths.

After all that, those left are the most reprehensible dullards stuck inside with dwindling resources, a steadily rising temperature, and the military outside trying to figure out what's going on. And ultimately there's a single person who has control over the dome for reasons all his or her own.

And frankly there was no way in hell I was going to sit through another five hundred pages of idiots being idiots until the person behind the magical dome had decided the mission was accomplished (or had managed to kill off everyone he or she wanted to kill off). So I skipped to the last hundred pages and sped through them to confirm what I'd already figured out so that I wouldn't waste hours more of my time.

There's was also a television series based off this book. No, I didn't watch. Even when it comes onto Netflix (if it does), I have no desire to see it. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 18, 2014 |
Mid-level King. Notable for its length, which is somewhat justifiable given the many characters being tracked and the subtext of gradual ecological decay. The novel is weakest in how it resolves the puzzle of the Dome, the repeated use of the same plot device that depends critically on smart people doing the same stupid thing, and lack of development in its villains. The bad guys start really bad and stay that way. The novel is impressive in how King juggles the many story lines and maintains a relatively even flow of crisis. As noted in many places, the novel and TV series are linked only by location, character names, and the Dome itself. The plots diverge almost immediately and the series will no doubt end up in a very different place. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Jul 30, 2014 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for/What was his name/you can prob'ly find him/at the football game/it's a small town/you know what I mean/it's a small town, son/and we all support the team. --James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,344,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible