Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Info:Scribner (2009), Hardcover, 1088 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:horror, sci-fi, secret santa, 12 in 12

Under the Dome by Stephen King

2009 (29) 2010 (44) aliens (62) American (19) apocalypse (25) audiobook (24) dystopia (19) ebook (58) fantasy (48) fiction (480) hardcover (33) horror (424) isolation (36) Kindle (57) King (33) Maine (80) mystery (35) novel (43) own (19) post-apocalyptic (26) read (68) read in 2010 (29) science fiction (257) sf (27) small town (50) Stephen King (112) suspense (76) thriller (111) to-read (106) unread (18)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (275)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (293)
Not many of Mr. Kings books do I not like. When this book came out, I couldn't wait to read it. I had just finished the Dark Tower series, so I was ready for something new.

This book is about a town surrounded by a dome suddenly. The people are cut off from the outside world. People can see through the dome on either side but no access through it, over or under.

As with all of his novels, you get, violence, corruption, a little sex (not graphic) and a hero to save humanity. What I didn't like about the book was how I figured out what was going on before I was even half way done. The ending in my opinion was just plain stupid. It's like Kings imagination just dried up.

I personally love the wild ride King normally gives. The twists that would keep you guessing. This just didn't have it. Plus, the sappy ending where everyone is happy. I guess after reading The Dark Tower series, I was actually needing a screwed up ending! GO FIGURE! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
40 days ago I started reading Stephen King's latest novel, "Under The Dome". While it did take me a while to read it - that should be no reflection the quality of the story itself. As you may know, the novel is close to 1,100 pages long and that doesn't exactly lend itself well to a quick read. However, I've been looking around online at various reviews and general thoughts on the book itself and a lot of people had actually sped through the damn thing in a week! Blows my mind.

Stephen King actually started writing this massive monstrosity in the 1970s, failed, then tried again in the 1980s - only to fail again. King credits it to the fact that the book was just too big for him at the time. While the first two attempts weren't exactly the same as the finished product; King admits that they were basically the same idea. He wanted to take a group of people and write about their behavior and their reactions after being cut off from the type of society that they've always belonged too.

In Under The Dome, King takes a seemingly ordinary rural Maine town and encloses it inside an invisible barrier. Chaos and death run rampant after cars, planes and birds smash into the side of the dome; exploding at impact. No one inside, or outside, of Chester's Mill knows where the dome came from or if it will ever leave. Shortly after being cut off, the town divides itself into opposing sides. One, led by short order cook and former Iraq vet, Dale Barbara, and the other, used car salesman and town politician, Jim Rennie. As time passes, Rennie becomes increasingly ruthless and does everything he can to maintain power over the town while Barbara attempts to solve the mystery of the dome and get out while he still can.

I've read some reviews that stated that King "put the pedal to the metal" from the get go and never let up. While I agree with that to a certain extent, you really can't expect a 1,072 page novel to be fast paced during its entire length, you've got to prepare for some dull parts. Granted, those "dull parts" are few and far between but everything has its place in the book; he's really trimmed the fat so to speak.

King's villain, "Big" Jim Rennie, is just awesome. Such a despicable, easy-to-hate bastard of epic proportions. I found myself getting angry at times; reading what this guy was doing and actually pissed off that he was getting away with it. I wanted to see him taken down so badly. His son, Junior, was just as bad at times - his "extracurricular" activities were downright disgusting. His confrontations with Dale Barbara were intense and some of the best parts of the novel.

King's "heroes" were some of the best written characters I've ever seen. They were simple, some of them were without complex moral problems - they were "good" and the bad guys were "evil" but they were still interesting nonetheless. Barbara came off as a likable guy, someone easy to get along with and a natural born leader. His main partner, Eric "Rusty" Everett, kicks ass in most of the scenario's he's placed in including his epic confrontation with "Big" Jim Rennie three quarters of the way through.

I'd like to talk about the ending but I don't really want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll just go on record as saying that while I did enjoy it - it partially felt like sort of a let down. Perhaps it's because my expectations were so high but honestly, where else could King have gone with it. The ending made perfect sense in regards to the origin of the Dome and the problems that had arisen in regards to breaching it so what can you do? However, the real greatness is in King's building towards the ending. The final 100 pages are superb with an event occurring that I did not expect. King's descriptions of the event in question are horrific.

All in all, I enjoyed my second Stephen King experience - which pretty much guarantees that it's not going to be my last experience. I recently found out that it's being adapted into an HBO mini-series, which is all kinds of awesome. I can't imagine a cast but I can only assume that it'll be relative unknowns; I mean how can you cast a huge roster like that made up of dozens of characters and keep your payroll at a respectable limit?

While I wouldn't put it in my pantheon of all time favorites - I'd give it a good hearty recommendation.

Also posted on Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Epic. Tons of characters. Has anyone else noticed that since Stephen King finished the Dark Tower books, his writing has undergone some sort of change? I can't precisely put my finger on it,.. but I think that it's less... gritty? For lack of a better word, though that's not exactly right.

Anyway. I know it's long, but definitely worth the read, even if the end is a bit anti-climactic, there's enough action in the rest of the book to propel it along. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Well, it's huge, but I knew that going in. The cast of characters is enormous, but King does his usual good job of introducing the important characters and making them memorable. Some of the characters didn't have enough depth and I would have liked to know them better - Brenda Perkins for example. Some of the characters were very stereotypical, but having enjoyed other King works like this one, I think that is just his way of making a point. Or several points. You love the characters that you are supposed to love and you hate those that you are supposed to hate.

The Stand was my favorite King novel ever. Still is. But this one is very reminiscent of The Stand. I was hoping for a different explanation regarding the sudden appearance and source of the Dome; however, the book isn't so much about the Dome itself but about the possibility or propensity for good or evil inside each of the characters.

I was hooked from the groundhog on and couldn't put it down. For being so lengthy the book was an easy read - very quick. Once you are into the story it is hard to put down. Stephen King does an excellent job of proving, once again, why he is the master.... ( )
  Laurie.Schultz | Mar 15, 2014 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for/What was his name/you can prob'ly find him/at the football game/it's a small town/you know what I mean/it's a small town, son/and we all support the team. --James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible