Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Under the Dome: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2009), Hardcover, 1088 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:horror, sci-fi, secret santa, 12 in 12

Under The Dome by Stephen King

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (353)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All (372)
I could not put this book down! As usual, Stephen King made me very uncomfortable but I could not look away. (Even women, children, and small animals are not safe in his stories). The story got under my skin and the pace kept moving. I had to keep reading through the horrific moments to see how that particular character would get through, and I was pleased that some of them did. There were many characters, but I could easily relate to some of them and very easily hate others. Their methods of survival and the breakdown of law or social relations were very well-detailed in a believable way. The length of the book did not matter; he created a new reality, he is so descriptive of everything that it made me, as a reader, feel as if I was there. At some points I wished I wasn't, but it was true to King's style of horror; you have to know going into this that people are going to die and some of them are the very ones you're rooting for. Very interesting and satisfying ending, that is all I'll say so as not to spoil it! ( )
  Pamela_SC | May 24, 2017 |
A classic Stephen King. A classic in its own right. I've enjoyed it tremendously, not least because of the incredible reading by Raul Esparza. He reads in two dozen different accents / pitches from beginning to end without faltering. People dead for 600 pages have their clearly recognizable voice right at the end. Amazing! Story-wise, the good are a bit too good and the bad a bit too downright bad for my taste. That was good in "The Stand", but could have been a bit mellowed down here, I think.
  Kindlegohome | May 18, 2017 |
I thought the premise of the book was very interesting (and yes, Keith, this same premise was used in a Simpsons movie). Suddenly a small town is engulf, completely cut off, by a large mostly impenetrable dome. The dome cuts off a river. It cuts off clean air. People cannot get in or get out.

However, you can see through it, talk through it and if you have enough high powered fans, get a tiny bit of air.

The story is less about the dome and more about how people would react in such an intense and bizarre situation. It's about small town politics - big fish in a small pond. It's about how an outsider tries, and fails, and then tries for a come back (albeit forced) in small town community life.

That part, the part about being the FNG (effing New Guy) in a town where most of the people have known each other since birth, connected with me the most. The character of Barbie, the tourists Caro and Marshall, they're people I've been. It's hard to break into small town life if you aren't related to someone there or didn't grow up there. As a tourist, you're welcome to visit and stay for awhile but you're also welcome to leave.

Story is pure King. There is blood shed. Lots of characters. Some pretty cool kids. And death, of course.

In some ways this book is really good. I mean I read it in a week. I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know what the dome was, why it was there, and how everybody was going to get out. But that's just the surface story. It's the reason for everything else that happens in the story.

But while I'm reading the book I start to wonder, isn't this book just The Stand, Cell? Isn't it just a King Cliche? Large cast, something awful happens, how do people react, who bands together, who is the bad guy, etc.

The only idea that was new to me in this book, new idea from King, anyway (in my opinion), was the outsiders fitting into a tight community story line. I found that to be really awesome.

But the rest of the story wasn't too fresh. Sure the dome idea was cool, as were the reasons behind the dome. But again, the dome itself is such a small part of the story. The story of the dome and how it comes to be is really quite cool. But like I said, it's just the impetus for the true story.

I do wish King had explored Pastor Piper's storyline a little more. Her struggle with her faith. It was interesting to see the differences between the two pastors - the holy roller and the calm/curious/doesn't trust her faith pastor. But I felt that painting the holy rollers as bad guys and using their "faith" to reason why they did the bad things they did was really trite. I mean, come on. Even non-holy rollers act bad too. What an annoying bit. I think I might have enjoyed a bit of a twist with Pastor Piper, struggling with her faith, making poor choices instead of just wondering periodically about what she believes. This kind of story - the painting of the holy rollers as bad guys - is old. It was old when Jim Bakker acted it out in the 80s and it's old now. Get a new schtick.

King's female characters have come a long way since The Stand days. A lot less two dimensional, but still not quite as fleshed out as they could be. I thought Piper was the most intriguing of the female characters. The male characters were re-iterations of former King characters. Barbie replays East Texas (what is his name?!) from The Stand, the lead from Cell, etc. (Obviously, these are the two latest books I've read by King).

I think back on Misery and wonder what happened. Misery, super small cast of characters and entirely individualized, incomparable to other King characters. I'd love to see more of this.

I dig King. I always have. I dig this book. I just want more from him. But I guess that's my job as a fan to want more from my favorite authors. And it's there job to get annoyed at me for wanting more. But I also hope it challenges them. *wink* ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Great book. Much better than the TV series. All the dumb stuff from the series wasn't in the book. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 7, 2017 |
To begin, I hated the end of this book. Not the ending, but the reveal of the who and the why the dome came in to existence. It was so lame. Like epically lame.

Now I don't want to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so I have to admit that I did indeed like this story. The idea of the dome, and the reactions of the townsfolk really appealed to me. I did think some reactions were a bit to fast and extreme, especially in the first four days, but I did enjoy reading this. If only the ending...

A strange aside - I went to YouTube to listen to James McMurtry's - Small Town (Talkin' At The Texaco) to hear the song that is so often mentioned in this book. And I liked it! I also enjoyed in the comments all of the people who had done the same - read the book, listened to the song. Then I saw this post from Eli Love -"And to all those who came here because of under the dome can get F*cked.....this is real music, welkkkome to the real world" ??? And then when people responded to his whack-a-doo post, he wrote "... how in the hell do you discover music thru books..." Wow, right? I guess there are Juniors in the world after all!

O.K. - now for my rant - I bought this book on November 7, 2009, brand spankin' new, for $9!!! WITH free shipping!!! The price inside the book jacket is $35! I remember thinking at the time, "What the heck is Amazon doing?" Well, now I know. The were setting up to be the monopoly behemoth they are now, by taking losses back then. Just another reason to fear them... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2017 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for
What was his name
you can prob'ly find him
at the football game
it's a small town
you know what I mean
it's a small town, son
and we all support the team.
—James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible