Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Under the Dome: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2009), Hardcover, 1088 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:horror, sci-fi, secret santa, 12 in 12

Under the Dome by Stephen King

The Stand by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (290)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (309)
I really had to push through this one. There were some interesting ideas in here; I always love reading about how small groups of relative strangers come together in times of crisis. However, I think a lot got lost in this book because it was so bloated.

One thing that I don't personally enjoy about King is his dialogue; it seems so unnatural. Another thing that bothered me about this book was the ending. I thought it was terrible. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, so I won't get into particulars. I just wish that after having invested so much time in this book, the reward had been greater.

After all that being said, I will admit that I did find parts of the book enjoyable and some of the plot points were exciting or interesting. I didn't give up on the book even though I did have to put it aside for weeks at a time. Probably won't revisit this one. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Jan 25, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I expected this book to be so unbelievably good, as it was written by Stephen King and some of my friends always tell me everything he has written (and they've read) is pure gold. And, besides that, it's Dystopian. So, how bad could it be?

The story seems a bit similar to the Gone-series (Michael Grant), with it's first book published almost simultaneously with Under The Dome (at least in The Netherlands).
An enormous sphere is placed around a little town, trapping everything -and everyone- who's in that town at that moment 'under this dome'. As is often seen in Dystopian novels, control and 'normal human behavior' is one of the first things the people run out off. Survival of the strongest (not necessarily the fittest, but just the persons handling the guns).

Problem just was that I thought it to be boring sometimes, there were so many characters, and normally I don't mind, but here it really was a lot. And there was quite a high body count as well (and fast, normally I wouldn't expect a total loss of control just that fast).
What I didn't really liked either was how King was giving away everything with a bit of suspense that was about to happen. *SPOILERS FOLLOWING* For example, a man decides to go and shoot people in a police office. Okay, you think. But before he does shoot this people down, you get to read 'I'm going to go to the police station now to kill some people'.
Surprise, surprise, what would happen next?

I really wanted to like this book, but because of these things I just thought it to be a very long read, with it's almost 900 pages. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
TV Show is better.... Not Steven King's best work. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
This is the first Stephen King book I've read. I HATE horror and tension in books and movies - so I have stayed far away. Then I caught just a part of one episode of this on TV and thought it looked intriguing.

As soon as I started reading I was hooked. It is the kind of book I really enjoy - tons of story lines criss-crossing and weaving to create a story. I kept waiting for the tension and gore and all that I hated. But, when it came I was so deeply invested in the story that I just kept reading.

The story is a week in the life of a small Maine town after a dome has fallen cutting it off from the world. Life inside the dome could have been fine - but the town is run by Big Jim Rennie - a megomaniac leader who believes that he can do anything in the name of Christianity and National pride. He runs over anyone who tries to actually improve the town because he was not the one to plan it. And he does have a plan - to line his pockets with money from his hidden industry - one that is completely and totally illegal - and needs the towns resources to make it work.

The other main character is Barbie - a retired Marine, drifter and short order cook who was on his way out of town when the dome came down. Barbie was leaving town after a run in with Big Jim's completely insane son, Junior and his croonies. Then the dome came down. Barbie is the voice of reason and reality so of course he is Big Jim's arch enemy. It doesn't help that Barbie's connections on the other side of the dome have delivered a letter from the President naming him the leader of the town.
This is a story of what could happen and what doesn't need to happen.

But that is what is happening inside the dome. But there is also the story of the dome itself...That is a story of the potential of cruelty and callousness of all of us.

It isn't all grim. There are moments of great love and caring. There are people who are willing to give up everything for the good of others.

And that is what makes a great story - the good and the bad in all of us and how it comes together.

Wow! King can tell a story! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
** 2013 -- Re-reading for no other reason than to see if it's as lame as I thought before.

I would give this book a higher rating if it wasn't so heavy and I could find a more comfortable position to read it in. I'm only a couple hundred pages in.The other thing is I know everyone's trapped under the dome and he's set up all the characters in typical King fashion and I can guess what all those characters are going to do (Worry, Fuck, and Kill - but don't worry, the good guy always wins). I think I'll wait for either great muscular biceps or a kindle to appear on my bookshelf. Neither seem likely soon. ( )
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for/What was his name/you can prob'ly find him/at the football game/it's a small town/you know what I mean/it's a small town, son/and we all support the team. --James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,144,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible