Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Under the Dome: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2009), Hardcover, 1088 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:horror, sci-fi, secret santa, 12 in 12

Under the Dome by Stephen King

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (301)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (320)
This book actually made me a Stephen King fan again, after not having picked up one of his books in probably 20+ years. I actually listened to the audiobook and as a person who listens to a lot of those (long commute), I would say that it was possibly the best audiobook I have ever listened to. I will eventually go back and read the book, as it prompted me to read many of his others in the two years since. I have lived in Maine for about 8 years and it has really given me a whole new appreciation for his work, as I can recognize a lot of familiar places, personalities and issues that I never would have noticed before. ( )
  WynterTheLibrarian | Aug 21, 2015 |
I really struggled with how many stars to give this book. While I was reading it, I actually had a dream that goodreads switched to a ten star rating system, and I was able to give the book a seven. But alas, I awoke and now I have to give the book either three or four stars. As I am writing this review I still haven't decided.

No doubt about it, King is a great storyteller. The book was suspenseful and hard to put down. The premise of a dome falling over a town and trapping everyone is so fascinating. It was engrossing to watch all the characters come together and discover who the "bad guys" and the "good guys" were and how they were going to survive. King did a good job creating suspense with his dramatic irony, giving the reader certain information that the characters did not have. It made for some thrilling scenes.

As Kim and Becky both said, my biggest complaint is character development. I got a little bit annoyed at the flat characters and how it seemed they were all either completely good or the embodiment of evil. (I suppose there was a bit of gray area.) Character development is really important to me in a novel, and that didn't really happen in Under the Dome.

I am in a phase of being stingy with my stars, so I think I will settle for three. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
A mysterious dome falls and covers a small New England town. The inhabitants of the town become a self enclosed biosphere. The corruption and personal traumas come into play and life goes to hell for awhile. This book is back to what I like to call “vintage King”. Mr. King lost me for a little while a few years ago. I remained a “constant reader” but was wondering about his books. I thought his last novel redeemed him, as does this one. A definite must read for King fans. I would have given this five stars but was just a wee bit disappointed by the ending. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Was that a terribly long book, or was that a long book?! :-/ ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
The only other Stephen King book I have read is 11/22/63, which I enjoyed a lot so I was looking forward to this. It could not be more different. King has an obsession with bodily fluids of every kind that I found quite revolting.The characters are all stereotypes who squabble, fight, rape and kill in more and more unbelievable scenarios. The source of the dome is discovered early on but after a cursory examination nobody seems to give a damn. They are all too busy fighting each other for no good reason that I could find. ( )
  darrow | Jul 2, 2015 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for
What was his name
you can prob'ly find him
at the football game
it's a small town
you know what I mean
it's a small town, son
and we all support the team.
—James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,044,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible