Under the Dome: A Novel by Stephen King

Under the Dome: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Under the Dome: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2009), Hardcover, 1088 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:horror, sci-fi, secret santa, 12 in 12

Under The Dome by Stephen King

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (tina1969)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (jlparent)
    jlparent: Actually, the whole Dark Tower series - both are epic in scale, each concerns itself with the interaction between the people caught in the crosshairs.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Undert the Dome is an adult version of Lord of the Flies.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Gone by Michael Grant (virginiahomeschooler)
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (Scottneumann)
    Scottneumann: Another book where people unite to overcome an unseen foe
    The Wall by Marlen Haushofer (Anonymous user)
    Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    El cuarto Jinete by Victor Blazquez (soyleyenda)
    soyleyenda: El estilo de Víctor Blázquez bebe mucho de Stephen King, y además, El cuarto jinete es una obra tan coral como La Cúpula y la acción transcurre en un pequeño pueblo americano muy similar al de la novela de King.

English (356)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  All (375)
I never knew who was going to make it out. Or even if anyone would. I am a fan of Mr. King. This is one of my favorites. NOT, however, for the squeamish. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Like most Steven King boos this one is set in the state of Maine in a little town just outside Castle Rock. While on the surface this book appears similar to The Stand or Shawshank Redemption in that everything appears normal- underneath is the same current of secret alien lurkers that travels through most of King's books-- the unifying factor that ties them all together. Overall an excellent book ( )
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |
I could not put this book down! As usual, Stephen King made me very uncomfortable but I could not look away. (Even women, children, and small animals are not safe in his stories). The story got under my skin and the pace kept moving. I had to keep reading through the horrific moments to see how that particular character would get through, and I was pleased that some of them did. There were many characters, but I could easily relate to some of them and very easily hate others. Their methods of survival and the breakdown of law or social relations were very well-detailed in a believable way. The length of the book did not matter; he created a new reality, he is so descriptive of everything that it made me, as a reader, feel as if I was there. At some points I wished I wasn't, but it was true to King's style of horror; you have to know going into this that people are going to die and some of them are the very ones you're rooting for. Very interesting and satisfying ending, that is all I'll say so as not to spoil it! ( )
  Pamela_SC | May 24, 2017 |
A classic Stephen King. A classic in its own right. I've enjoyed it tremendously, not least because of the incredible reading by Raul Esparza. He reads in two dozen different accents / pitches from beginning to end without faltering. People dead for 600 pages have their clearly recognizable voice right at the end. Amazing! Story-wise, the good are a bit too good and the bad a bit too downright bad for my taste. That was good in "The Stand", but could have been a bit mellowed down here, I think.
  Kindlegohome | May 18, 2017 |
Though his scenarios aren’t always plausible in strictest terms, King’s imagination, as always, yields a most satisfying yarn.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2011)

It’s a fun and clear-headed fury, though. This is King humming at the height of his powers, cackling at human folly, taking childish glee in the gross-out and all the while spinning a modern fable that asks some serious questions without sounding preachy. If the fury left a few excessive typos and a dog’s name that mistakenly changes on occasion, well, these are (mostly) forgivable sins. After all, few of us can resist such nightmares and dreamscapes.

King says he started "Under the Dome" in 1976 but then "crept away from it with my tail between my legs. . . . I was terrified of screwing it up." Fortunately, he found the confidence to return to this daunting story because the result is one of his most powerful novels ever.

The King book that is most readily brought to mind by “Under the Dome” isn’t an earlier large-scale apocalyptic fantasy like “It” or “The Stand”; it’s “On Writing,” the instructive autobiographical gem that cast light on how Mr. King’s creative mind works. In the spirit of “On Writing,” “Under the Dome” takes a lucid, commonsense approach that keeps it tight and energetic from start to finish. Hard as this thing is to hoist, it’s even harder to put down.

1,100 pages of localized apocalypse from an author whose continued and slightly frenzied commerce with his muse has been one of the more enthralling spectacles in American literature.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Esparza, RaúlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who you lookin for
What was his name
you can prob'ly find him
at the football game
it's a small town
you know what I mean
it's a small town, son
and we all support the team.
—James McMurtry
In memory of Surendra Dahyabhai Patel. We miss you, my friend.
From two thousand feet, where Claudette Sanders was taking a flying lesson, the town of Chester's Mill gleamed in the morning light like something freshly made and just set down.

A first edition, epic by Stephen King.

A town is mysteriously sealed in an inexplicable dome. The residents are trapped inside leading to drama, hysteria, and a shocking series of events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,228,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible