The Black Mountains by Fred Saberhagen

The Black Mountains (1971)

by Fred Saberhagen

A great sequel to The Broken Lands, this is book 2 of the Empire of the East series. Enjoyable and quick to read, this story introduced Draffut, the Beast Lord of Healing. I've got to find book 3 soon somehow.

Since this review, I picked up book 3 and have the whole Empire of the East set. I love these books! ( )
  Homechicken | Dec 18, 2007 |

STRIKE OFF MY HEAD !

Chup begged the Lady Charmian; then he turned and knelt down slowly, face toward the cliff. Charmian was at his right, holding the long blade point down at the ground. He said, "Now, about this little surgery I need . . . I suppose a single stroke would be too much to ask for. But more than two or three should not be needed, the blade is heavy and quite sharp." Without turning to see her face he added, "You are the most beautiful, and most desirable by far, of all the women I have ever known."

From the corner of his eye he saw Charmian losing her hesitation, gathering resolve, straightening her thin wrists in a tight two-handed grip to lift the weapon's weight. Chup studied the details of the rock wall before him.

He had knelt down facing this way so that his head would not roll over -- Enough of that. He was Chup. He would not even close his eyes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,008,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible