Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

Dirty Little Angels (edition 2009)

by Chris Tusa

Member:BackyardHorse
Title:Dirty Little Angels
Authors:Chris Tusa
Info:Livingston Press (AL) (2009), Paperback, 147 pages
Tags:Contemporary, Adult

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Similar style and visuals, and a lot of similarities between the stories.
    Wolf Whistle by Lewis Nordan (WSB7)
    WSB7: Another version (and funnier) of soul-eating/soul-sucking modernity.
    Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo (WSB7)
    WSB7: A better vision of soul-sucking modernity's effects.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (gward101)

English (453)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (460)
In "Dirty Little Angels" I found the authors ability to convey tone impressive. It was well defined, described in various ways, and constant throughout the book. The drama was intense and at the same time understated which I thought was a good representaton of the narrators character and outlook on life. The intentions of some of the minor charachters were hard to identify but it wasnt necesarrily a fault.

At first I thought this story was set several decades in the past and only realized it was more current because of pop culture references, some of this might be due to it taking place in the south, and area I am not familiar with. That also made it a fun read for me, since I saw a little bit of the southern culture. ( )
  frankiejones | May 16, 2014 |
First of all, thank you Chris Tusa for e-mailing me this book. It was definatley worth it.

This book is about sixteen-year-old Hailey, a young girl who prays to God in the hope that He will save her and her family from their borderline poverty, the various affairs her parents have had, her brothers stealing and the miscarriage her mother had. Her and her brother,Cyrus, befriend Moses who is a preacher hoping to open a drive through church.

Hailey is a complicated girl who I like very much. She has to deal with so much in her own life such as drinking and drugs not to mention her annoying best friend and Chace, the boy she lost her virginity to.
When she downs those pills I felt like she had every right to blame her mother who cared more about what people thought of her than her own daughters safety.
Her father was a nice man with a few problems but loved Hailey very much.

Hailey, Cyrus and Moses kill a man and During the book this haunts her all the time but I don't think she was a bad person because just reading about her with Iris' husband made me smile.

This is an excellent book which I highly recommend and I also think it has one of the best endings I have ever read. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
I received this book free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book gives us an honest look at life in a poor and depressed area of New Orleans. All of the characters seem to be dysfunctional. Hailey seems to be an intelligent young woman but without a good role model and guidance. The author's descriptions of mental illness and life in a mental institution were right on target, and I found the description of a dirty little angel by a mental hospital resident very interesting. I can see why the author chose Dirty Little Angels as the title of this book. The author gives us a raw and dark description of the other side of life that many of us are uncomfortable and unfamiliar with. This book is well written but was a little too dark and depressing for me. ( )
  iadam | Dec 31, 2013 |
This was a raw, honest reflection of inner city life if a 16 year old girl. Chris Tulsa showed amazing talent in his portrayal of a teenage girl. I received this book from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  mdhallauer | Sep 6, 2013 |
a bit too dark for my taste. I think the characters did not stay consistent with their profile from chapter to chapter. the plot had potential but just never lived up to it ( )
  brandymcdonald | Jun 13, 2013 |
for Pamela
The baby was a white fist of flesh.

Chris Tusa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible