Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

Dirty Little Angels (edition 2009)

by Chris Tusa

765None12,160 (3.44)64
Member:BackyardHorse
Title:Dirty Little Angels
Authors:Chris Tusa
Info:Livingston Press (AL) (2009), Paperback, 147 pages
Tags:Contemporary, Adult

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Similar style and visuals, and a lot of similarities between the stories.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (gward101)
    Wolf Whistle by Lewis Nordan (WSB7)
    WSB7: Another version (and funnier) of soul-eating/soul-sucking modernity.
    Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo (WSB7)
    WSB7: A better vision of soul-sucking modernity's effects.

English (454)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (461)
I received this book free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book gives us an honest look at life in a poor and depressed area of New Orleans. All of the characters seem to be dysfunctional. Hailey seems to be an intelligent young woman but without a good role model and guidance. The author's descriptions of mental illness and life in a mental institution were right on target, and I found the description of a dirty little angel by a mental hospital resident very interesting. I can see why the author chose Dirty Little Angels as the title of this book. The author gives us a raw and dark description of the other side of life that many of us are uncomfortable and unfamiliar with. This book is well written but was a little too dark and depressing for me. ( )
  iadam | Dec 31, 2013 |
This was a raw, honest reflection of inner city life if a 16 year old girl. Chris Tulsa showed amazing talent in his portrayal of a teenage girl. I received this book from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  mdhallauer | Sep 6, 2013 |
a bit too dark for my taste. I think the characters did not stay consistent with their profile from chapter to chapter. the plot had potential but just never lived up to it ( )
  brandymcdonald | Jun 13, 2013 |
Certainly, I believe the author was aiming to eviscerate the reader. I believe the author managed to obtain that goal; however, for me, I could not accept Hailey's actions and reactions in the book.Hailey's character appeared to have been portrayed as an intelligent young woman; therefore, I expected her to act intelligently which was not the case.

I could believe everything else in the book, but not Hailey's reactions to her surroundings.

All other characterizations in the book were spot- on. Too bad, this could have been a really good book. ( )
  txblaize | Jun 9, 2013 |
I agree that this book had no resolution, was almost completely depressing and the characters had little or no development. It kept shuffling back and forth as the story line had no fluency about it. I did receive a copy of the story for my honest review, and honestly, I would not recommend this to anyone. ( )
2 vote CindyHoldmann | Jun 7, 2013 |
for Pamela
The baby was a white fist of flesh.

Set in the slums of New Orleans, among clusters of crack houses and abandoned buildings, Dirty Little Angels is the story of sixteen year old Hailey Trosclair. When the Trosclair family suffers a string of financial hardships and a miscarriage, Hailey finds herself looking to God to save her family. When her prayers go unanswered, Hailey puts her faith in Moses Watkins, a failed preacher and ex-con. Fascinated by Moses's lopsided view of religion, Hailey, and her brother Cyrus, begin spending time down at an abandoned bank that Moses plans to convert into a drive-through church. Gradually, though, Moses's twisted religious beliefs become increasingly more violent, and Hailey and Cyrus soon find themselves trapped in a world of danger and fear from which there may be no escape.

Chris Tusa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible