Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

Dirty Little Angels (edition 2009)

by Chris Tusa

Member:BackyardHorse
Title:Dirty Little Angels
Authors:Chris Tusa
Info:Livingston Press (AL) (2009), Paperback, 147 pages
Tags:Contemporary, Adult

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Similar style and visuals, and a lot of similarities between the stories.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (gward101)
    Wolf Whistle by Lewis Nordan (WSB7)
    WSB7: Another version (and funnier) of soul-eating/soul-sucking modernity.
    Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo (WSB7)
    WSB7: A better vision of soul-sucking modernity's effects.

English (450)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (457)
I read this as an ebook after a request from Mr. Tusa. While I typically do not like the ebook format (I want a physical item in my hands), I am glad I took a chance on this book. I have a very deep love for New Orleans and having this book set there made me all the more interested in seeing how the characters dealt with life, especially as it was set pre-Katrina.

The writing style flows well and it's easy to "see" each scene the characters are in. The main character's problems are so well written that you can't help but feel for her and what she's going through. The book doesn't tell you every little thing and there are lapses of time between chapters but this is also very helpful to the story. You are able to see the progression of characters and plot without having to wade through the repetitive aspect of everyday in their lives.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read about the strength one teenage girl has to not only overcome the small hurdles in her life but also to accept the large aspects of who she is and where she comes from. ( )
  oraclejenn | Dec 15, 2015 |
I'll give this book 4.5 stars. It was a great story but very dark. I loved the ending; it was sad but powerful. I thought this book was a realistic and accurate portrayal of a family in crisis. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
This isn't a book I particularly liked. It is a sad, depressing, dark, story filled with nasty people and themes. I like dark literature and certainly don't need a happy ending to enjoy a book but this had no redemption for anyone and none of the characters had any redeeming qualities. The only one who could be seen to have grown throughout the book is the father, and he's a minor character. Even though I didn't like the characters or the story, the book is well-written and at no point did I ever consider not finishing it. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 9, 2014 |
In "Dirty Little Angels" I found the authors ability to convey tone impressive. It was well defined, described in various ways, and constant throughout the book. The drama was intense and at the same time understated which I thought was a good representaton of the narrators character and outlook on life. The intentions of some of the minor charachters were hard to identify but it wasnt necesarrily a fault.

At first I thought this story was set several decades in the past and only realized it was more current because of pop culture references, some of this might be due to it taking place in the south, and area I am not familiar with. That also made it a fun read for me, since I saw a little bit of the southern culture. ( )
  frankiejones | May 16, 2014 |
First of all, thank you Chris Tusa for e-mailing me this book. It was definatley worth it.

This book is about sixteen-year-old Hailey, a young girl who prays to God in the hope that He will save her and her family from their borderline poverty, the various affairs her parents have had, her brothers stealing and the miscarriage her mother had. Her and her brother,Cyrus, befriend Moses who is a preacher hoping to open a drive through church.

Hailey is a complicated girl who I like very much. She has to deal with so much in her own life such as drinking and drugs not to mention her annoying best friend and Chace, the boy she lost her virginity to.
When she downs those pills I felt like she had every right to blame her mother who cared more about what people thought of her than her own daughters safety.
Her father was a nice man with a few problems but loved Hailey very much.

Hailey, Cyrus and Moses kill a man and During the book this haunts her all the time but I don't think she was a bad person because just reading about her with Iris' husband made me smile.

This is an excellent book which I highly recommend and I also think it has one of the best endings I have ever read. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
for Pamela
The baby was a white fist of flesh.

Chris Tusa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,495,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible