Babymouse, The Musical by Jennifer L. Holm

Babymouse, The Musical

by Jennifer L. Holm

I know I said the novelty is wearing off this series, but this volume won me back. Babymouse dreams of being in the spotlight--this time as the star of the school musical--but the spotlight goes instead to familiar rival Felicia Furrypaws. Babymouse isn't completely out, though: she's cast as the understudy, so we can only hope that Felicia gets sick at the last minute. Will it happen, and will Babymouse be able to handle the role?

10 volumes in and Babymouse hasn't changed much--either as a character or as a series. Babymouse herself is still caught up in her own imagination, and the narrator still communicates through snarky asides. The musical-theatre theme of this volume means daydreams and narrator asides spoofing other musicals--Phantom of the Opera (or Locker in this case), The Lion King, Annie, and more. The narrator's Gilbert & Sullivan riff was a personal favorite ("I am the very model of a graphic novel narrator / I have information on the action, scenery, and characters / I tell the reader when you're in Antarctica or Paris or-- / when your locker's trying to ensnare you with its tentacles!") There's less interaction with other characters in this volume than in previous--Babymouse is cheered on by new-kid Henry and less abused by Felicia, but her actual friends are, at best, background. Still, for fans of the series, this is another great entry, recommended for all ages (but mostly ages 3-5). ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Babymouse is back, this time starring as understudy to her nemesis Felicia in the school production, which she is persuaded to audition for by new student Henry Higgins. The wink, wink, nudge, nudge musical references don't stop there, as Babymouse finds herself in the midst of scenes from Chorus Line, Grease, Annie, Lion King, and more, though only readers who have actually seen or listened to the shows will get all these jokes. Babymouse gets the chance to perform the last scene in the show when Felicia falls ill, but true to form, her fifteen minutes don't go quite as planned. The graphic novel format and Babymouse's earnest antics make for a quick, amusing read. Babymouse fans will be pleased as always with this episode, and theatre buffs will certainly enjoy this particular book, as well. Recommended for grades 1-4. ( )
  jessicaschmidt917 | Nov 21, 2012 |
When new boy Henry Higgins encourages Babymouse to try out for the elementary school musical, she gets cast as the understudy to popular Felicia Furrypaws but daydreams herself into the lead of dozens of classic musicals. Truly hilarious parodies of musicals like The Phantom of the Opera, My Fair Lady, Grease and A Chorus Line are the heart of this graphic novel, though many readers may not yet be familiar enough with these allusions to appreciate all the jokes. Fortunately, high-spirited Babymouse is as loveable as always, and fans of the Babymouse series will not be disappointed. As in previous books, the storyline alternates between Babymouse’s fantasies and humorous school situations, and tricolored cartoons in black, white and pink make up the illustrations. Recommended for readers age 6-10. ( )
  skcramer | Nov 11, 2012 |
4Q 5P

Minimal use of color throughout the book is effective in highlighting interesting parts of the drawings and story.
  marenh | Apr 18, 2011 |
This is a Cybils nominee and, dare I say it, my first Babymouse book. Sure I've seen them lined up at the library, even peeked inside them, but I don't have any daughters and my son freaks if the colour pink gets too close to him so I haven't had an excuse. Now, finally I have a real reason to read Babymouse! This was absolutely wonderful! Babymouse (as I'm sure almost everyone already knows) is an adorable character; she's a bit of a klutz and rather a goof at times but she's got lots of friends and has lots of fun. Well Felicia Furrypaws doesn't like her but then she's a cat. Babymouse gets the part of the understudy to Felicia in the school play and daydreams her way through the book going off into musical interludes that are hilarious. I'm not sure how much kids will get the musical scenes but I couldn't help singing the words as she dreamt up All That Jazz, The Phantom of the Opera, Grease, Pirates of Penzance and Annie though they will recognize The Lion King and American Idol. I'm thoroughly enamoured with Babymouse and kid's have proven they are too. If you haven't read Babymouse yet this is a great one to start with! ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 6, 2009 |

Dust off your dancing shoes. Babymouse and the gang are taking center stage in the feel-good book of the season! Will Babymouse get the lead in the school musical or will Felicia Furrypaws steal the show? Find out in Babymouse: The Musical ! Filled with highsteps and high jinks and starring the critically acclaimed, award-winning Babymouse as herself, this showstopper will have you tapping your toes and singing along!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

As tryouts for the school musical begin, Babymouse takes the starring role in several imaginary Broadway productions, which also feature her debonair new classmate, Henry the hedgehog.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible