Checkout by Anna Sam

Checkout (2008)

by Anna Sam

1391986,313 (2.66)3

English (9)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
Très amusantes ces tribulations! C'est vrai que parfois le supermarché ressemble à une jungle urbaine...
Et cette caissière pose sur ses chers clients un regard amusé et sans méchanceté. Caustique aussi parfois.
Le style manque parfois un peu de punch, mais c'est vraiment agréable à lire. ( )
  CathCD | Jan 16, 2016 |
When I first saw this book on net galley, I really wanted to read it. I have worked retail, mostly in a grocery store atmosphere for 30 years and I thought this book would have some funny stories about the life of retail and customers. Not so much.
I could relate to some of it, I have some similar stories; I have seen pretty much everything you could imagine and things you couldn't begin to imagine and I could relate to the descriptions of some of the customers.
What I couldn't relate to was the horrific writing style. Don't get me wrong, I love sarcasm but this was over the top and way, way too much. Many of the attempts at humour just started to get really old; it may have worked in a 3 page magazine article but in a book even this size, I was over it long before the book was finished. I didn't like the arrogant tone and not so funny humour attempts and found it to be very condescending towards people who are "checkout girls" making them seem like half brained idiots. While most of my career has been in a supervisor or manager capacity, I took offense to this and found it interesting that the market most likely to be interested in reading this book were the ones who were targeted as having a worthless job. I would give it a 1 1/2.
I received this book free from net galley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maggie1961 | Nov 29, 2015 |
[CEDUTO] A caval donato... gli puzza il fiato. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
It's interesting to read about the supermarket experience from the cashier's point of view, for once. Don't expect any pity for harried clients with children who are trying to fit in the shopping chore in their busy Saturdays; all the pity is for the cashiers and the cashiers only (and when clients wipe their boogers on their shopping for the cashier to scan, who can blame them?).
This book is based on a blog by the same author. Some blogs lose a lot of their quality when they are turned into books. The lack of a narrative makes for a halting reading experience, and the repetitions that provide a common thread in the blog posts become obtrusive when lined up in a book, especially if it's a slim volume like this one. This non-taxing read will only take you a few hours to get through, so it's ideal for an afternoon at the beach. ( )
  fist | Jan 18, 2012 |
Sarebbero due stelline e mezzo (tre e mezzo con il nuovo metodo di giudizio a 5 stelle), perchè l'idea è buona e divertente. Lo apprezzerete se avete vissuto sulla vostra pelle cosa voglia dire fare la cassiera (di un supermercato, ma anche di qualsiasi altro negozio, meglio se appartenente ad una grossa catena). Altrimenti troverete forse tutto un po' esagerato, ma credetemi, non lo è!
Il problema è che se invece avete fatto le cassiere/i (o se siete fortunati, ci lavorate ancora), le vostre storie personali saranno dieci volte più divertenti e quindi non vi rimarrà che un lieve senso di de jàvù (lo so, gli accenti son sbagliati, ma gli altri non li trovavo) e un po' d'amaro in bocca. ( )
  RebeccaVegas | Dec 12, 2011 |
Pour mon frère Gwenael,
j'aurais aimé partager ce livre avec toi.
Pour toutes celles et ceux qui, un jour, se sont retrouvés derrière une caisse.
Je m'appelle Anna, j'ai vingt-huit ans, un diplôme universitaire littéraire en poche et une expérience de la vie à la fois particulière et banale.

Anna Sam spent 8 years as a checkout girl. This book is a witty look at what it's really like to work in a supermarket: the relentless grind and less-than-perfect working conditions, along with people-watching and encounters with every kind of customer from the bizarre to the downright rude.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,218,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible