Checkout by Anna Sam

Checkout (2008)

by Anna Sam

1462081,994 (2.72)4

English (10)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  English (20)
Since I work in retail, as I soon as I saw this book on netgalley I knew I had to read it.

Anna lives overseas, and worked as a cashier "check out girl" for eight years, and this is the story of being a working girl. It's rather hysterical to me, to see just how universal working in retail is, regardless of where you live. I too am constantly plagued by "Are you open?" and "Where's the bathroom?" and tries to not only educate the public, but does it in a way that makes you laugh.

Anna begins the book by telling you how she got hired and trained, which I laughed through (having gone through an extremely similar process), and then continues by telling you about her daily life working in a grocery store and the story of the contant "beeps".

It's ironic because I have often wanted to try to write a book about my life in retail, but have no talents in that arena! But I'm happy that someone else out there did.

0--
I received a free copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for my honest views/opinions ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Très amusantes ces tribulations! C'est vrai que parfois le supermarché ressemble à une jungle urbaine...
Et cette caissière pose sur ses chers clients un regard amusé et sans méchanceté. Caustique aussi parfois.
Le style manque parfois un peu de punch, mais c'est vraiment agréable à lire. ( )
  CathCD | Jan 16, 2016 |
When I first saw this book on net galley, I really wanted to read it. I have worked retail, mostly in a grocery store atmosphere for 30 years and I thought this book would have some funny stories about the life of retail and customers. Not so much.
I could relate to some of it, I have some similar stories; I have seen pretty much everything you could imagine and things you couldn't begin to imagine and I could relate to the descriptions of some of the customers.
What I couldn't relate to was the horrific writing style. Don't get me wrong, I love sarcasm but this was over the top and way, way too much. Many of the attempts at humour just started to get really old; it may have worked in a 3 page magazine article but in a book even this size, I was over it long before the book was finished. I didn't like the arrogant tone and not so funny humour attempts and found it to be very condescending towards people who are "checkout girls" making them seem like half brained idiots. While most of my career has been in a supervisor or manager capacity, I took offense to this and found it interesting that the market most likely to be interested in reading this book were the ones who were targeted as having a worthless job. I would give it a 1 1/2.
I received this book free from net galley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maggie1961 | Nov 29, 2015 |
[CEDUTO] A caval donato... gli puzza il fiato. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
It's interesting to read about the supermarket experience from the cashier's point of view, for once. Don't expect any pity for harried clients with children who are trying to fit in the shopping chore in their busy Saturdays; all the pity is for the cashiers and the cashiers only (and when clients wipe their boogers on their shopping for the cashier to scan, who can blame them?).
This book is based on a blog by the same author. Some blogs lose a lot of their quality when they are turned into books. The lack of a narrative makes for a halting reading experience, and the repetitions that provide a common thread in the blog posts become obtrusive when lined up in a book, especially if it's a slim volume like this one. This non-taxing read will only take you a few hours to get through, so it's ideal for an afternoon at the beach. ( )
  fist | Jan 18, 2012 |
Pour mon frère Gwenael,
j'aurais aimé partager ce livre avec toi.
Pour toutes celles et ceux qui, un jour, se sont retrouvés derrière une caisse.
Je m'appelle Anna, j'ai vingt-huit ans, un diplôme universitaire littéraire en poche et une expérience de la vie à la fois particulière et banale.

Anna Sam spent 8 years as a checkout girl. This book is a witty look at what it's really like to work in a supermarket: the relentless grind and less-than-perfect working conditions, along with people-watching and encounters with every kind of customer from the bizarre to the downright rude.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,637,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible