Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg

Old City Hall (2009)

by Robert Rotenberg

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
Set in Toronto, this mystery focuses both on the police investigation and the legal details of a trial. It is quite interesting, but for some reason, the various characters are difficult to keep straight. I'm not quite sure why - there are quite a few of them, but they have very different back stories - it may be that more attention is given to those back stories and somewhat less to developing them within the main story, so that they don't all "come alive". The mystery was pretty good, although I did have most of it figured out early on. It will perhaps be of most interest to those familiar with Toronto - the setting plays prominently, and without it, I might not have enjoyed it as much. As it is, it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  Booklover889 | Mar 17, 2016 |
A newspaper deliverer walks in on a murder scene. The husband, a Canadian radio host, confesses. An open and shut case--or maybe not.
The book follows all the players in this case, from their differing points of view. Set in Toronto, which forms a very strong background.
Well written, interesting story. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
A famous Canadian radio host admits killing his common-law-wife. Yet when detective Ari Green and Constable Daniel Kennicott start their investigation, things don't seem to be as first thought. Then the accused, Kevin Brace, whose character strongly resembles Canadian icon, Peter Gzowski, refuses to speak to anyone. He insists on writing all communication.

There are many red herrings tossed into the plot that keep the reader interested. It helps that if one knows Toronto for most of the action takes place on familiar streets and locales of that great city. The title refers to the main court house in Toronto where the trial in the novel takes place. In an earlier era, it was the city hall. Lots of fun. I am encouraged to read another of his books. ( )
  lamour | Oct 8, 2014 |
I really loved this book and it's one of the best books I've read this year. The plot is imaginative, intricate, and there were some amazing characters introduced in this novel.

This book takes place in Toronto, which was an aspect I really enjoyed. Even though I've never been to Toronto, I'm still oddly sentimental about books that take place in Canada. The book starts off strong with an introduction to some supporting characters before the murder is mentioned. The plot of this novel is such a surprise and it shocked me on a number of occasions. There was nothing cliched or predictable about this mystery.

Even though the murder mystery aspect of this book is central, the part I enjoyed the most was the characterization. I've read a lot of books this year, but this had the best characters out of any of them. They were well-defined and unique, which is a really big change from the rest of the books I've been reading. What I appreciated the most was that not only did we learn about the main characters and get a complete idea about their personalities, but we also get to learn about the secondary characters as well. Everybody who was even slightly important to the plot was fleshed out with a rich back-story.

The only thing I was a little irritated by was the ending. The resolution of this book wasn't exactly what I was expecting and it could have been less open-ended. However, it makes sense since this is the starting book to a series. I'm such a fan of Robert Rotenberg now that I'll be checking out all his other books as well. This is an excellent mystery novel and I highly recommend it. ( )
  jadestar31 | Dec 4, 2013 |
I received a copy of this novel thanks to the GoodReads First Reads program. Old City Hall is an intriguing murder mystery with a few unexpected twists and turns that unfolds at a realistic pace. I enjoyed getting to know more about these characters, who they are and how they react in certain situations and how they handle the mystery before them. Perhaps my favourite part of the novel is how the author brings the city of Toronto to life--from the districts and structures to the multiculturalism to the hockey culture. I highly recommend this novel to fans of crime and mystery novels!

My complete review of the novel was originally posted at caffeinatedlife.net: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2013/03/24/review-old-city-hall/ ( )
  caffeinatedlife | Sep 1, 2013 |
And she shows you where to look
Among the garbage and the flowers
There are heroes in the seaweed
There are children in the morning
They are leaning out for love
And they will lean that way forever
-- Leonard Cohen, "Suzanne"
For Vaune
Much to the shock of his family, Mr. Singh rather enjoyed delivering newspapers.

Canada's leading radio show host comes to the door of his luxury condominium with his hands covered in blood and tells the newspaper delivery man: "I killed her." The "her" in question is his young wife, whose body lies in their bathtub with a knife wound through the sternum. So, where's the mystery? That's the question asked by the detectives plowing through what should be an open-and-shut case. With the appearance of strange fingerprints in the apartment, the mystery gets more complex just as it should be getting simpler.
From the back cover.

It should have been an open and shut case. Canada's leading radio talk show host came to the door of his luxury condominium, his hands bloody, and said to the newspaper deliveryman, "I killed her." Yet, the discovery that the victim was a self-destructive alcoholic, the presence of strange fingerprints at the crime scene, and the refusal of the accused to say anything--even to his attorney--lead to a hotly contested murder trial.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 332 books! | Top bar: Always visible