dismiss

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (1865)

by Lewis Carroll

Series: Alice's Adventures (1 & 2)

By falling down a rabbit hole and stepping through a mirror, Alice experiences unusual adventures with a variety of nonsensical characters.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (thecoroner)
    After Alice by Gregory Maguire (sturlington)
    sturlington: Retelling
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (244)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Arabic (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (256)
I liked this but wasn't blown away by it when I read it as a child. It's one of the books on my list to retry as an adult, because I think I'll appreciate it more not. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Not my favorite, but a good escape from the world. The audiobook narrator made this for me. ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
What kind of drug-addled haze was he on? I mean, sure, the author was a respected mathematician and all... OH, WAIT! Nevermind.

The only thing that I can't quite wrap my head around is the fact he focused mostly on geometry. And he didn't live during the times of quantum theory.

Of course, if he had been dealing with the quantum nightmare, Dodgson's Alice would read more like a cat that was both alive and dead at the same time rather than that grinning ghostly monstrosity. And mercury in hats would really be the observational spin that makes up consensual reality.

This is a re-read and I love it for its imagination first and foremost. The wordplay is also awesome.

Who doesn't love this book?

Of course, we all know it, right? From being late to slaying the Jabberwocky to losing one's head to falling off a horse to tea parties to the drinking up of special potions. It's all great. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Whilst I enjoyed and was amused by the nonsensical whimsy that is "Adventures", I couldn't bring myself to trudge through "Looking Glass" ( )
  JustSkips | May 19, 2020 |
Alice plummets down a rabbit hole in the first part of this bind-up edition of Lewis Carroll's classic children's novels, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) and Through the Looking Glass (1871), and she steps through a mirror in the second. In both cases she finds herself in a fantastical alternate world, encountering extraordinary creatures and having a series of surreal adventures...

Despite their status as towering classics in the field of children's literature, and the undoubted influence they have had on that literature and on the wider culture, I had never read either Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass until they were assigned as texts in my masters course. I was pleased to be given the impetus I apparently needed in picking them up, as they had long been on my to-read list. The stories themselves were every bit as delightful as I'd hoped they'd be, the accompanying artwork by John Tenniel was lovely. This particular edition, from Oxford University Press, included a wealth of critical notes, which proved invaluable in helping to bring to light many significant details which might otherwise have eluded me. The significance of Carroll's parodies of well-known poetry from Isaac Watts, for instance, might otherwise have escaped me. We had an interesting discussion about these books in my class, and whether they could still be considered children's literature, given that today's children would miss so much of what made them entertaining to their 19th-century counterparts. For my part, I think they can still be enjoyed by children, even though I myself didn't read them when young. I highly recommend the stories themselves to all readers, and I recommend this Oxford publication to readers looking for a good critical edition. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 10, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.

This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451532007, 0141199687

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,748,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible