Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (1865)

by Lewis Carroll

Series: Alice's Adventures (omnibus 1-2)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (thecoroner)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (236)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1)  Arabic (1)  All (247)
Having first read Alice as a child - whilst sick with tonsilitis - I never really fully appreciated it.
There is perhaps some irony in the fact that I enjoyed Alice more as an adult than a child.
Carroll's use of language puns and nonsense is extremely clever and entertaining and definitely my favourite aspect of the book. Exposing the inadequacies and ambiguities of the English language as a means of highlighting the illogical and confusing nature of Wonderland and the land Through the Looking Glass works perfectly. I loves these stories! ( )
  Laurochka | Aug 18, 2017 |
So whimsical and amusing...I love it. And, yet, so real to life. I cannot tell you how many times I've encountered characters like the ones in this book: rude, obnoxious, self-important, egocentric, awkward, short-tempered--not to mention those who do not say what they mean or mean what they say or who are best describes as altogether backwards. Carroll has a very colorful and charming way of handling these embodiments of human vices with the aid of an inquisitive and indulgent young protagonist. Carroll's Alice is a relatable young heroine, who becomes more believable through her childlike thoughts and impulses than through her unusual adventures. ( )
  Trisarey | Aug 7, 2017 |
I honestly can’t remember whether I actually read these books – more commonly known as Alice in Wonderland, I guess due to the 1951 Disney film, which is an amalgamation of both of the Alice books – or whether the stories and characters are just so well known that I feel like I’ve read them.

Either way, I recently bought the dark retelling and continuation ‘Alice’ by Christina Henry, and decided to read the originals before reading this newer release. For anyone who has lived under a rock for their whole lives, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland tells the story of the strange encounters a young girl called Alice has when she falls down a rabbit hole and ends up in Wonderland. There she meets such characters as the Mad Hatter, the Queen of Hearts and the Cheshire Cat. In Through the Looking Glass, Alice steps through a mirror and ends up in a strange world where she meets the Red Queen and the White Queen, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and many other characters.

I have mixed feelings about these stories. On the one hand, I am not really the target audience anyway and I feel I should take that into account. On the other hand, there is no doubt that Carroll was both imaginative and intelligent. The stories are quite fantastical, and Through the Looking Glass includes several clever verses, one of which is the famous Jabberwocky poem.

For all that though…I can’t say I really enjoyed reading the book (I read one book which contained both stories). I definitely preferred the first one, but I got a little bored with Through the Looking Glass, and consequently took far longer to read it than I would have expected. Maybe it’s because fantasy – which I guess this book probably could be classed as – is not a favourite genre of mine; maybe it’s because as I say, I am not the target audience; maybe it’s just that no book can resonate with every reader.

I would not want to put anyone else off reading the book – it is after all a much-loved classic, so really what does my opinion matter? – but on a personal level, I felt a little disappointed by it. I still look forward to reading the Christina Henry book though! ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | Aug 3, 2017 |
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of the most well-known books ever written. Even people who have never read the novel have heard of characters such as Humpty Dumpty and Tweedledum and Tweedledee. When Alice falls into a rabbit hole her adventures begin and one is stranger than the other. In Through The Looking-Glass Alice walks through a mirror and finds herself in a live-action chess game. These fantasy stories are not just popular with children, they are also quite well-liked by adults. And there is a reason. The novel and its sequel Through The Looking-Glass play with language in a very intelligent way.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.' 'The question is', said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean different things.' (p. 223)

This quotation describes quite nicely what I enjoyed most about the novel. Sometimes, words have to be taken quite literally, and then there is always a second layer added to them. This interplay of literal and figurative meaning makes Alice's story work on more than just one level. However, I did not care for the fantasy part as much. While Alice's adventures are sure strange and sometimes funny I rather enjoyed the book for the how than for the what. The way the story is told was much more important for me than the story that is actually told. In the end of the second story, Alice asks herself whether it had all just been her dream or the dream of the Red King, one of the other characters in the novels. In the last line then, the reader seems to be included in the discussion: 'Which do you think it was?' (p. 278). I guess you have to see for yourself. I can recommend this book especially to adult readers interested in linguistics and logic as well as to kids, of course. is very enjoyable, rather short and easily read. On the whole, 3.5 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Jul 30, 2017 |
I absolutely love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It is good to have a wonderfully magical place to escape to that can be as confusing as in real life. And, a wonderland quest is a perfectly curious escape. Plus, I am a huge lover of unusual anthropomorphic creatures. And, I want you all to picture bunny's wearing waistcoat-pockets as they scamper about. I loved the Disney picture book and movie too. There is the benefit of the bold colors to stimulate the senses and elevate the mood. And, I have often questioned if this is why I love Masonic checkered floors. ( )
  LorisBook | Jul 25, 2017 |

Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.
This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527747, Mass Market Paperback)

That Alice. When she's not traipsing after a rabbit into Wonderland, she's gallivanting off into the topsy-turvy world behind the drawing-room looking glass. In Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's masterful and zany sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she makes more eccentric acquaintances, including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, and a somewhat grumpy Humpty Dumpty. Through a giant and elaborate chess game, Alice explores this odd country, where one must eat dry biscuits to quench thirst, and run like the wind to stay in one place. As in life, Alice must stay on her toes to learn the rules of this game. Through the Looking Glass immediately took its rightful place beside its partner on the shelf of eternal classics. And luckily for generations of enraptured children, Carroll was again able to persuade John Tenniel to create the fantastic woodblock engravings that have become so indelibly associated with the Alice stories. For almost 130 years, Alice's curious adventures have amused, perplexed, and delighted readers, young and old. This gorgeous, deluxe boxed set of both volumes contains engravings from Tenniel's original woodblocks that were discovered in a London bank in 1985, and reproduced for the first time here. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures?'" What indeed? (All ages)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451532007, 0141199687

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible