Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (edition 2000)

by Lewis Carroll

14,146193146 (4.14)164
Member:SeriousGrace
Title:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Authors:Lewis Carroll
Info:Signet Classics (2000), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:aic, animals, BLTG, british, birds, bookcook, challenge, childrens book, children, christmas, classic, cats, duchess, drugs, fantasy, flood, food, fiction, grade school, gryphon, games, holidays, insects, illustrated, letters, movie, music, mice, poetry, reread, queen, rabbits, satire, turtles, accomplished

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (183)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (193)
This book is appealing to readers because of its far off lands and crazy characters. I think this book can be read by or read to any age. Lewis Carroll's imagination is comparable to that of a child, which makes it so exciting to read. It is a good book to spark the imaginations of young readers.
  adates12 | Dec 17, 2014 |
I truly LOVE this book. To this day it is one of my favorite books, if not my absolute favorite. The creativity and absurdity makes it so amazing, exciting and engaging. The readers are always left wondering what is going to happen next or what in the world just happened. Since Alice runs in to so many interesting characters, there is no time for a reader to become bored or not engaged. Although there aren't many illustrations in the book, or much given away from the cover, the author does an amazing job painting a picture in your head. The best part of there being limited illustrations is that every reader will imagine the adventure a little differently. Through out the book, I felt myself get anxious and feel the suspense when Alice was meeting new people, trying to find the white rabbit and going to court at the end of the story. Finally, when the reader gets to the end and Alice wakes up on her sisters lap, it almost becomes sad that Alice did not actually experience the entire adventure. I would love to read this book as a read aloud to my class so that the emotions would be experienced by my students through the expression I read with.
  lfasce1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
Synopsis: In Alice in Wonderland, a little girl follows a white rabbit and falls into another world with characters that represent political figures. In Through the Looking-Glass Alice encounters more of the same.
Review: As a child I loved these books. Reading them as an adult was work. They made little sense and the nonsense was annoying. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 26, 2014 |
Carroll's brand of nonsense just ain't my thing. I respect that a lot of people feel differently, but I cannot abide his absolute nose-dive into the abstract that feels like it's supported by hot-air. Honestly? I was just bored by his writing. And I didn't like Alice - she was so flat and terribly middle-class, but without anything else to recommend her to me. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
One of the books I always wanted to read and never seemed to have the time to. As a child I read some Spanish translations, more of them adaptations not very true to the original one, but then time passed and always had other things to read and study. Finally I decided that I had to read it. I will not add anything to what many people has written for decades, it is simply great, a must read for any person regardless of their age, charming and crazy, simply wonderful.

I enjoyed it a lot and will include it in the list of "mandatory" books for my daughter as soon as she can read. ( )
  yakov.perelman | Sep 16, 2014 |

Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.
This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527747, Mass Market Paperback)

That Alice. When she's not traipsing after a rabbit into Wonderland, she's gallivanting off into the topsy-turvy world behind the drawing-room looking glass. In Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's masterful and zany sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she makes more eccentric acquaintances, including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, and a somewhat grumpy Humpty Dumpty. Through a giant and elaborate chess game, Alice explores this odd country, where one must eat dry biscuits to quench thirst, and run like the wind to stay in one place. As in life, Alice must stay on her toes to learn the rules of this game. Through the Looking Glass immediately took its rightful place beside its partner on the shelf of eternal classics. And luckily for generations of enraptured children, Carroll was again able to persuade John Tenniel to create the fantastic woodblock engravings that have become so indelibly associated with the Alice stories. For almost 130 years, Alice's curious adventures have amused, perplexed, and delighted readers, young and old. This gorgeous, deluxe boxed set of both volumes contains engravings from Tenniel's original woodblocks that were discovered in a London bank in 1985, and reproduced for the first time here. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures?'" What indeed? (All ages)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:49 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439769, 0141192461, 0451532007, 0141199687

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible