Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (edition 2000)

by Lewis Carroll

14,521208138 (4.14)165
Member:SeriousGrace
Title:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Authors:Lewis Carroll
Info:Signet Classics (2000), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:aic, animals, Alice Liddell, BLTG, british, birds, bookcook, challenge, childrens book, children, christmas, classic, cats, Charles Dodgson, duchess, drugs, England, fantasy, flood, food, fiction, grade school, gryphon, games, holidays, insects, illustrated, letters, movie, music, mice, poetry, reread, queen, rabbits, satire, turtles, victorian, accomplished

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (197)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Arabic (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (208)
Remember the white rabbit that Neo had to follow in order to get out of the Matrix? Or the Looking Glass station that Desmond and Charlie had to go to in order to help the rest of the 815 survivors? Or where the Jabbawockeez derived their name from? Or what about where Tim Burton and Johnny Depp really get their kicks from? If you do, then you probably know what I'm talking about. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are two books by Lewis Carroll that, until now, I have declined to read. Of course I've seen the classic Disney movie (which has its good and bad points, in my opinion), but like anything else, nothing can compare to the book.

If for any other reason you should read a lot of books in your life, it's so you can truly understand all the references they make in shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, or South Park. And a great piece of literature is found in the adventures of Alice. It's a pretty easy read, and best of all, the book comes with pictures! So you can really get an idea of what Lewis Carroll pictured in his mind. Many of the scenes from the Disney movie can be found in both stories, but there are oh so much more! What I truly enjoyed about this book is that you can simply enjoy it as a children's story, (which is what I did since I'm not in college anymore), or you can read it and analyze the symbolism and allusions that litter every chapter of the book.

What I really took away from the story of Alice was the naivety of youth...yet even in youth, we are still so full of reason. But is this reason right, or is it rightly wrong? I think it might be wrongly right, actually. So therefore...reason in our youth is rightly and wrongly right and wrong. Does this make any sense? If not, then you'll definitely enjoy the book! ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
(NOTE: This is a review of the Collector's library edition rather than the literary work. I have more than one edition of Alice and two different single volume editions of the paired works. Although I have entered this review on what appears to be the Collector's library edition entry it is sometimes coming up on entries with other covers.)

I am a fan of the Collector's Library editions generally, however I selected this book from a table display of different editions and books based on the original works for its quality. All the Collector's Library books are small enough to fit in the pocket (one might need a biggish pocket for this one as it is nearly an inch thick), have marker ribbons, nice paper, and shiny gold edging to the pages on all exposed edges. Their classics are frequently illustrated.

This edition has the original Tenniel illustrations, however they have all been specially hand coloured by Barbara Frith. I'm not normally a fan of interfering with original work, particularly applying colour to things which were created in black and white. The original artist/director/designer will have made something in a particular way knowing how the eye would see it in monochrome. Adding colour changes the emphasis and makes something the original creator did not intend, often to the detriment of the original (particularly in the case of film). Frith's work is sensitively done, with something of a period look, and has brought out little details I hadn't previously noticed - the oddity of the Dodo having little hands projecting out from under his wings, the slippers worn by the lobster grooming for the Lobster Quadrille and the bootjack by his feet. Curiously there is a change in palette between the two stories. The Wonderland colours are bright and clear but the Looking-Glass ones are dull and muddy. One of the most interesting changes is in the red. The red in Wonderland is just the right sort of colour for hearts and playing cards but the red in Through The Looking Glass is more sinister, heading towards either russet or black, giving a particularly nightmarish look to the Red Queen. Somewhere I have the single volume edition of these works that I had as a child, which had the Tenniel illustrations, and I think some of them may have been coloured, so it may be (I haven't looked it up but doubtless some knowledgable Thingers will know) that Tenniel did colour some of the original illustrations in which case Frith has presumably worked to his palette.

Anyway, a nice edition to give - or to add to one's own collection.
  Oandthegang | Jun 13, 2015 |
Please note that the version of this book I am here reviewing is one printed in Stockholm in 1945, though the book is in English, so the illustrations would not be the same as in this version.

I suddenly felt the desire to read this book/these stories, though it turned out I had in fact many years ago read “Alice in Wonderland”, since I found the story so familiar.

Obviously these stories are classics, and I couldn´t give them less than five stars.

Alice goes down a rabbit-hole, and then falls down a deep well, and this is how she lands in Wonderland. I found the story charming and entertaining.

I didn´t find “Through the Looking-glass” quite so readable, however, perhaps because I tired of reading a children´s book that was pure fantasy and not filled with the usual sort of information I seek in a book. In this story, as indicated by the title, Alice goes through a looking-glass and finds a world where everything is back-to-front, reversed.

Alice seems to be participating in a chess game and runs around with the Red Queen and the White Queen, meets a Knight, and so on, and eventually becomes a Queen herself (she began as a pawn and made it to the other side of the board),

Lewis Carroll certainly had an amazing imagination. The illustrations are amusing, and when reading certain passages I found myself searching through the book to see whether there perhaps were illustrations of the incidents I was reading about.

I would think these were wonderful stories for a small child, or perhaps not one that is that small, as there are many passages and conversations which require a somewhat developed intellect to comprehend. But I really don´t know whether children of the modern world of TV, TV games, and computers would appreciate them. I can at least recommend them to grown-ups who have retained their imagination and sense of play! Enjoy! ( )
  IonaS | May 30, 2015 |
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There are two well-loved, oft-adapted, and extremely influential novels written by Lewis Carroll, the pseudonym of English author Charles Lutwidge, in 1865 and 1871 respectively. I was initially a little surprised when Seven Seas announced that it would be publishing a newly illustrated omnibus edition of the novels in 2014, especially as the company had moved away from publishing prose works in recent years in order to focus on manga and other comics. However, the novels do nicely complement Seven Seas' releases of the various Alice in the Country of manga. What makes Seven Seas' edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass stand out from others are the incredibly cute and charming manga-influenced illustrations by Kriss Sison, an International Manga Award-winning artist from the Philippines. In addition to a gallery of color artwork, hundreds of black-and-white illustrations can be found throughout the volume.

Alice was enjoying a leisurely afternoon on a riverbank with her older sister when a very curious thing happened—a rabbit with a pocket watch hurries by talking to itself. When Alice follows after it she tumbles down a rabbit hole to find herself in a very strange place indeed. What else is there to do for an inquisitive and adventurous young girl but to go exploring? And so she does. As Alice wanders about she discovers food and drink that cause her to grow and shrink, animals of all sizes and shapes that can talk, and people who have very peculiar ways of thinking about and approaching life. Eventually she returns home to her sister, but several months later she finds herself once again slipping into a fantastical world when she crawls through the mirror above a fireplace mantel. Of course, Alice immediately sets off exploring, encountering even more strange and wondrous things and meeting all sorts of new and perplexing people.

Despite already being familiar with the story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (mostly through the seemingly infinite number of adaptations and otherwise Alice-inspired works) and despite having been encouraged for years by devotees of Carroll's writings, I had never actually read the original novels for myself until I picked up Seven Seas' edition. I'm really somewhat astonished that it took me so long to do so and it truly is a shame that I didn't get around to it sooner. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass is absolutely marvelous and an utter joy to read. It's easy to see why the novels have been treasured and continue to be treasured by so many people for well over a century. The books are incredibly imaginative and delightfully clever. Carroll liberally employs puns and other wordplay, turning nonsense into logic and vice versa. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass has been translated into something like seventy different languages; though certainly worthwhile, I can't imagine these interpretations were easy to accomplish due to the novels' linguistic complexities.

What particularly impresses me about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are the novels' broad appeal. Both children and adults can easily enjoy the works. Younger readers will likely be amused and drawn to their silliness while more mature readers will be able to more fully appreciate the cleverness of Carroll's prose, poetry, and song. I would wholeheartedly encourage just about anyone to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. Even without counting the multitude of adapted works, there are a huge number of editions of the original two novels available. There is bound to be a version that will appeal, whether it be Martin Gardner's extensively annotated editions, which reveal references that modern readers are apt to miss, or one of the many illustrated releases. While I may one day move on to The Annotated Alice, I was very pleased with Seven Seas' Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. Carroll's novels and Sison's illustrations are a delightful combination. I am very glad to have finally read the novels and anticipate reading them again with much enjoyment.

Experiments in Manga ( )
  PhoenixTerran | May 11, 2015 |
Summary: This story follows the classic story of Alice, the young girl who followed the white rabbit down into a rabbit hole. She ends up in Wonderland and meets many interesting characters including the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit and The evil Queen of Hearts. Alice but use her wits, and her new friends to overcome to The Queen of Hearts and find her way home.

Personal connection: Alice in Wonderland is a classic, and is something I grew up on. I honestly did not realize it was a book when I was younger because I absolutely loved the Disney movie. I admired Alice's sense of adventure and courage, and thought that her adventures were something that was so cool.

Class use: Have the students make up their own adventure for Alice, draw their favorite character or make up an alternative ending where she stays in Wonderland. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |

Tenniel, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winter, MiloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.
This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527747, Mass Market Paperback)

That Alice. When she's not traipsing after a rabbit into Wonderland, she's gallivanting off into the topsy-turvy world behind the drawing-room looking glass. In Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's masterful and zany sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she makes more eccentric acquaintances, including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, and a somewhat grumpy Humpty Dumpty. Through a giant and elaborate chess game, Alice explores this odd country, where one must eat dry biscuits to quench thirst, and run like the wind to stay in one place. As in life, Alice must stay on her toes to learn the rules of this game. Through the Looking Glass immediately took its rightful place beside its partner on the shelf of eternal classics. And luckily for generations of enraptured children, Carroll was again able to persuade John Tenniel to create the fantastic woodblock engravings that have become so indelibly associated with the Alice stories. For almost 130 years, Alice's curious adventures have amused, perplexed, and delighted readers, young and old. This gorgeous, deluxe boxed set of both volumes contains engravings from Tenniel's original woodblocks that were discovered in a London bank in 1985, and reproduced for the first time here. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures?'" What indeed? (All ages)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439769, 0141192461, 0451532007, 0141199687

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,915,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible