Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through…

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (edition 2000)

by Lewis Carroll

Member:SeriousGrace
Title:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Authors:Lewis Carroll
Info:Signet Classics (2000), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:aic, animals, Alice Liddell, BLTG, british, birds, bookcook, challenge, childrens book, children, christmas, classic, cats, Charles Dodgson, duchess, drugs, England, fantasy, flood, food, fiction, grade school, gryphon, games, holidays, insects, illustrated, letters, movie, music, mice, poetry, reread, queen, rabbits, satire, turtles, victorian, accomplished

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (224)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  English (1)  Arabic (1)  English (236)
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are filled with unusual and unforgettable characters. I have to admit I was hesitant about reading this because as a child I despised the Disney Film, but I decided to give it a go anyways. I'm certainly glad I did. The books is filled with all sorts of weird situations and it's amusing to watch Alice try to figure how the entire world looks. Also I love that the author often clues you in on Alice's thoughts which are cute and provide a lot of comedy. While I loved this book, I know not everyone will and I suggest when reading it just to have fun and not try to think to hard about what's actually going on. I would recommend this book to both children and adults.

Also I loved this edition. It was filled with awesome illustrations and I love all the phrases and character's names written on the front of the book. ( )
  RickyHaas | Dec 1, 2016 |
Review/comments posted in Novel Discussions.
  dineenvallance | Nov 30, 2016 |
I read these books as a kid - one of my uncles actually gave me the "complete" Carroll works, so I've read them all. As a kid, I remember thinking "Boy, this is weird" and as adult, I kept thinking "Boy, this is weird". Honestly I kept wondering what drugs Carroll was on when writing these two books. I understand that these books are supposed to be nonsensical, and they are certainly that, but I really couldn't make heads or tails out of Through the Looking Glass. I give Alice 3 stars & TLG 1 star. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
This is about Alice's second adventure in wonderland.
  ashermak | Oct 24, 2016 |
I read this as a child, but I had to reread it as an adult. It's even better the second time around. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.
This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527747, Mass Market Paperback)

That Alice. When she's not traipsing after a rabbit into Wonderland, she's gallivanting off into the topsy-turvy world behind the drawing-room looking glass. In Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's masterful and zany sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she makes more eccentric acquaintances, including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, and a somewhat grumpy Humpty Dumpty. Through a giant and elaborate chess game, Alice explores this odd country, where one must eat dry biscuits to quench thirst, and run like the wind to stay in one place. As in life, Alice must stay on her toes to learn the rules of this game. Through the Looking Glass immediately took its rightful place beside its partner on the shelf of eternal classics. And luckily for generations of enraptured children, Carroll was again able to persuade John Tenniel to create the fantastic woodblock engravings that have become so indelibly associated with the Alice stories. For almost 130 years, Alice's curious adventures have amused, perplexed, and delighted readers, young and old. This gorgeous, deluxe boxed set of both volumes contains engravings from Tenniel's original woodblocks that were discovered in a London bank in 1985, and reproduced for the first time here. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures?'" What indeed? (All ages)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451532007, 0141199687

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,687,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible