Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking…

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (original 1865; edition 1999)

by Lewis Carroll

Member:FelixTheRabbit
Title:Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Authors:Lewis Carroll
Info:Konecky & Konecky (1999), Hardcover
Rating:***1/2

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (1865)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (moonsoar)
    Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (ForeignCircus)
    ForeignCircus: great fictional look at the life of Alice Liddell who helped inspire Alice in Wonderland. Definitely an adult read as it deals with the semi-disturbing relationship between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson.
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (thecoroner)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Pandora Hearts, Vol. 1 by Jun Mochizuki (madmarch)
    madmarch: This manga is based on and contains a multitude of references to the Alice books- a lot of them only extreme fans will get. Not suitable for pre-adolescents.
    Random Magic by Sasha Soren (infiniteletters, Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Strong link to the Alice books. From the Amazon description: When absent-minded Professor Random misplaces the main character from Alice in Wonderland, young Henry Witherspoon must book-jump to fetch Alice before chaos theory kicks in and the world vanishes. Along the way he meets Winnie Flapjack, a wit-cracking doodle witch with nothing to her name but a magic feather and a plan. Such as it is. Henry and Winnie brave the Dark Queen, whatwolves, pirates, Struths, and fluttersmoths, Priscilla and Charybdis, obnoxiously cheerful vampires, Baron Samedi, a nine-dimensional cat, and one perpetually inebriated Muse to rescue Alice and save the world by tea time.… (more)
    Evil dress by Emelie Östergren (Kolbkarlsson)
    Kolbkarlsson: Östergrens stories have a strong Wonderland influence, both in it's strange logic and surreal tone. Both are contained universes, explored by girls or girl figures, sharing the same trappings.
    The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (kiwiflowa)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (elbakerone, joyfulgirl, Kerian)
    elbakerone: Beddor takes an alternative look at Alice's story. Fans of the original may appreciate the new telling and fans of Beddor's reworking will likely enjoy Carroll's classic.

English (241)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (252)
This is a really beautiful recording of Lewis Carroll's classic children's books. In the first, Alice sees a rabbit wearing a waistcoat, who pulls a watch out of his pocket and frets about being late, and she follows him down his rabbit hole. She finds herself in a surreal and comical landscape, with food that makes her shrink or grow when eaten, talking animals, a cat that appears and disappears in stages, and a royal court composed of a deck of cards ruled by the King and Queen of Hearts.

In the second, on a dark winter day, Alice walks through a looking glass that has turned to mist, into the mirror house. Once through, she finds that outside the range of what's visible in the mirror, it's very different indeed. Here, she finds herself in a chess game, with living Red and White chess pieces, as well as talking flowers, fairy tale creatures such as Humpty Dumpty, and even the food served at a fancy dinner party speaks and has personality. Also, here, it's summer, not winter.

Whether you've read Alice's adventures before or not, this is a delightful listen.

Recommended.

I received a free copy of this audiobook from the publisher. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book made me do something I haven't done in ages, write notes in margins and highlight passages. I recognize most events and Alice in Wonderland and a few from Through the Looking Glass. Looking Glass was really hard to get through, story line was more nonsensical then Wonderland. It just didn't hold my attention. I'm sure I will read this to my kids though. Great coming-of-age story for the growth of Alice from a child to an adult completely eluded me though. It was a fun light read, that seemed whimsical and silly, exactly something my 6 year old would love. The idea that this talks about growing up and a child's perception of the world through aging eyes is just as nonsensical to me as the story itself. I liked it, I just couldn't see the underlying message. I think that if I read it again to my kids for just the story and not for a hidden meaning, I will enjoy it more.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Classic Alice! I loved this book (both of them really), though loved Wonderland more so than Looking Glass. Lewis Carroll definitely had a bit of an imagination and it translates really well in the story. It's in many ways a story of acceptance, being yourself, and being kind (because who else hates how the Queen treats everyone!?). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
I watched the movie, "Terminal", and after thought, "Why have I never read "Alice in Wonderland"? So I did! And to use an Alice-ish phrase, it was just a bunch of gobblydeegook! I mean, it was cool to read as a chance to discover where all of the popular characters and poems came from, and to compare it with the Disney film I grew up with! But really, it's just a lot of nonsensical adventures that mostly dabble in wordplay and weird-as-heck creatures! Don't get me wrong, some are rather witty and insightful. But, for me, it all reads like the author may have eaten too much of that mushroom himself! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 16, 2018 |
Having seen a number of versions of the book made into movies was not at the top of my reading list. Was interesting to see how the movies have taken bits and pieces of both of the stories and made them into one. Most of us are familiar with Tweedle Dee and Dum being in the story which is actually from Through the Looking Glass. But didn't know that the Mad Hatter and March Hare are stuck at tea time due to an argument with time. Also who knew that Humpty Dumpty is a whole chapter in the book. was interesting to read. Wonderland is much easier to read than Looking Glass. Looking Glass seems to jump around a lot. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jul 11, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a teacher's guide

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do; once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversation in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like; they're both mad."
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at this distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!"
Off with his head!
I'm very brave, generally . . . only today I happen to have a headache.
"One can’t believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven’t had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
This is a combined edition of "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and "Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there". Please don't combine with a copy of only one of these.

ISBN 0945260210 is a Reader's Digest condensed [abridged] version of the omnibus.

ISBN 1582881669 is actually for an omnibus edition of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. It should not be combined with either individual work.
This classic story is about a young curious girl, Alice, whose adventurous daydreams lead her to a magical place called Wonderland. Wonderland is full of outrageous creatures, experiences, and adventures. This book is great for students who are in the transition period between children's literature and young adult literature, as it can be studied at the surface level for plot and characters, or more in depth, by studying the author's use of figurative language. In fact, the whole story can be discussed as a long metaphor. This book inspired many other works of young adult literature, and a teacher can ask students to research and dscover these as well.

AR 7.8, Pts 10.0
Die Erwachsenen -- allen voran die Literaturwissenschaftler -- beanspruchen Alice im Wunderland ja gerne für sich. Dabei gehören Alices Traumabenteuer den Kindern: Hatte sie doch der britische Autor Lewis Carroll während eines Bootsausflugs für die kleine Alice Lidell und ihre Schwestern erfunden. Die vorliegende Hörspielfassung ist ganz für Kinderohren gemacht und damit wohl im Sinne des Erfinders.

Geräuschvoll präsentiert sich ein bunter Reigen vorwitziger Gestalten: ein weißes Kaninchen, eine wasserpfeifenpaffende Raupe, eine stets grinsende Chesterkatze, eine Schlafmaus, der Herzkönig und die Herzkönigin. Es wird gegurrt, geknurrt, gegrunzt und gesungen. Man spielt Croquet mit Flamingoschlägern und tanzt die Hummerquadrille ohne Hummer. "Wir sind hier alle verrückt", sagt die Chesterkatze und löst sich mal wieder in Luft auf. Und es wird sogar gefährlich: "Weg mit dem Kopf!", schreit die Königin im Wunderland ihren Untertanen bei jeder sich bietenden Gelegenheit entgegen.

Muß man sich in diesem Tohuwabohu um Alice Sorgen machen? Nein, keineswegs. Denn mit gesundem Kinderverstand und einer guten Portion Entschlußkraft befreit sie sich aus so mancher verzwickten Situation. Und ganz ernst nimmt sie die Wesen -- ob Mensch oder Tier -- dann letztendlich auch nicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527747, Mass Market Paperback)

That Alice. When she's not traipsing after a rabbit into Wonderland, she's gallivanting off into the topsy-turvy world behind the drawing-room looking glass. In Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll's masterful and zany sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, she makes more eccentric acquaintances, including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, and a somewhat grumpy Humpty Dumpty. Through a giant and elaborate chess game, Alice explores this odd country, where one must eat dry biscuits to quench thirst, and run like the wind to stay in one place. As in life, Alice must stay on her toes to learn the rules of this game. Through the Looking Glass immediately took its rightful place beside its partner on the shelf of eternal classics. And luckily for generations of enraptured children, Carroll was again able to persuade John Tenniel to create the fantastic woodblock engravings that have become so indelibly associated with the Alice stories. For almost 130 years, Alice's curious adventures have amused, perplexed, and delighted readers, young and old. This gorgeous, deluxe boxed set of both volumes contains engravings from Tenniel's original woodblocks that were discovered in a London bank in 1985, and reproduced for the first time here. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures?'" What indeed? (All ages)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451532007, 0141199687

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,809,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible