Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By…

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil… (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:kathred1
Title:Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil Gigante(N) [Audiobook]
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Unabridged Audiobook (2007), Audio CD
Rating:***
Tags:Listened to eaudiobook 2012

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning (1999)

English (51)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
This was part of a BOGO offer on Audible, and this was basically the free book I picked up. I've been thinking of reading Moning's Fever books, so I thought this would give me a taste. I would probably still read her Fever books, but this was too regular romance for me.

It was a little formulaic ("I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I love you I'm so depressed we can't be together that I don't know how I'll live!!!), and I found the constant descriptions of everyone's physical beauty exhausting. I also hate "virgins" in romance novels. It was even worse here when I found out Adrienne was, because she was engaged to another guy that broke her heart, and the virgin thing sprang up later in the novel.

And I just couldn't get into the characters. As nice a guy as Hawk was trying to be, it got a uncomfortably controlling in the second half of the book. Hawk started to get increasingly angry at Adrienne for wanting to leave, not wanting to be his wife, not loving him, et cetera, when all of this was forced on her. His guilt speeches about how she should be grateful, and how she should be a good wife, and how he could force himself on her but doesn't, really creeped me out. He also kept trapping her in the dark to try and physically seduce her, which I also thought was creepy.

And... Adrienne was pretty unexciting. Just a poor girl that got used poorly by a bad man, then transported into 1500s Scotland. There's not much more to her than that. She did have a backbone, and tried to stand up and not get pushed around or swept away, but again, this got uncomfortable later when things were forced on her anyway.

Not a good read. Or listen. I found the narrator's female voices slightly offensive. ( )
  ConnieJo | Sep 4, 2014 |
AMAZING! Loved the characters, storytelling, setting and plot. There were many times throughout the book where I actually didn't know how things were going to end and when something outrageous happened it was exhilarating. This is my kind of book. Definitely going to read on. :) ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I liked the book alot in that it kept you locked to the story. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because it was infuriating the back and forth between Adrienne and Hawk. I mean come on already!! But other than that the book does not dissapoint. I have read all of the fever series and decided to try her Highland series. Can't wait to read the other books! ( )
  piper0820 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

Modern Seattle: Ravishingly gorgeous Adrienne de Simone (whose every body part is ??perfect,ƒ? though she doesnƒ??t know that) hates beautiful men because she just had a bad experience with the gorgeous man who was her fianc??. Never! Never again!

Medieval Scotland: Sidheach James Lyon Douglas, otherwise known as ƒ??the Hawkƒ? (even his mother calls him that) or ƒ??the Kingƒ??s Whore,ƒ? is the hottest laird on the Highlands, but heƒ??s never met a woman he could love. Every one of his body parts is ƒ??perfectƒ? and he knows it.

The Fairy Court: When the fae start to meddle with Adrienne and the Hawk, mischief ensues. Hawk falls in love with Adrienne and she, despite the promises to herself, starts to wonder what might be throbbing under his kilt.

From the beginning I had a feeling that Beyond the Highland Mist wasnƒ??t going to be my book of the year, but I picked it up because I really liked Karen Marie Moningƒ??s FEVER series, I like to occasionally step out of my comfort zone, and Beyond the Highland Mist was on a two-for-one sale at Audible.

I wish I had saved my credit. To put it succinctly, I hated Beyond the Highland Mist. Itƒ??s everything about romance novels that I hate, starting with the half-naked guy with the six-pack abs on the cover. Then thereƒ??s the story which, honestly, has pretty much the same story and plot devices as every other uninspired romance novel Iƒ??ve ever read. You know: they automatically hate each other but thereƒ??s some reason they have to spend a lot of time together, one of them (at least) keeps protesting that s/he will never (ƒ??NEVER!ƒ?) love the other but over the course of the story s/he finds out how awesome the other one is (usually something having to do with how he dotes on his mother or secretly loves children and maybe even secretly supports orphans and/or widows), one of them (at least) gets sick or injured and is nursed back to health by the other one while the sick or injured one never knows the other one is there, they keep having these misunderstandings about their feelings for each other (or maybe theyƒ??re mistakenly jealous of a third party) while itƒ??s obvious to everyone else that theyƒ??re hot for each otherƒ??. Itƒ??s so boringly predictable and we all know whatƒ??s going to happen at the end. They eventually decide they want to get married though theyƒ??ve rarely had a conversation that consists of much more than ƒ??I will have you! You will be mine!ƒ? and ƒ??No! Never!ƒ?

Other than the back and forth lusty angst, thatƒ??s about all there is to the plot of Beyond the Highland Mist. Thereƒ??s a little bit of intrigue with the fairy queen, but it barely holds the rest together. The story is all about sexual urges, jealous obsession and love-sickness and, even though I read romance novels very rarely, I have read this plot at least a dozen times before.

But thatƒ??s not the worst part of Beyond the Highland Mist. The worst part was the writing, which surprised me because I liked Moningƒ??s style in the FEVER series. But itƒ??s awful here, to the point of hilarity. On every page of Beyond the Highland Mist youƒ??ll find some version of this sort of insipidness: rough velvet tongues, creamy breasts being cupped, nipples being traced, taut bellies, silken nubs, chiseled faces, arching backs, hungry tongues, hot shafts with velvety pink tips, ebony eyes, hot kisses, tiny taut nubs, betraying wetness, plum-ripe mouths, honeyed heat, satiny thighs, ragged breathing, buckling knees, weak knees, traitorous bodies, shattering defenses, velvety friction, throbbing shafts, bodies made of molten steel, velvet lips, husky brandy-rich voice, husky purrs and growls, hot silk tongues, brutal punishing kisses, hot spicy male scent, whimpering against mouths, eyes that are dark pools of shadow, and lots of mouth claiming and deep hot kisses. It sounds like every other over-the-top romance novel Iƒ??ve ever accidentally opened.

I canƒ??t even tell you how many times her silvery mane was mentioned, or his chiseled steel body. And Moning actually tells us that heƒ??s hung like a stallion. No, seriously. And I donƒ??t want you to miss these little gems:

Read the rest at FanLit.
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/beyond-the-highland-mist/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
"You spotted snakes with double tongue
Thorny hedgehogs be not seen;
Newts and blind worms, do no wrong
Come not near our fairy queen."
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
The fragrance of jasmine and sandalwood drifted through the rowan trees.
And as she stepped into the archway, Grimm melted out of the shadows. She stopped, relieved. Try that again, she told herself. Write that scene one more time, Adrienne de Simone. It reads: she stopped, furious at being denied escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440234808, Mass Market Paperback)

He would sell his warrior soul to possess her. . . .

An alluring laird...

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart—until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length—but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:40 -0400)

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart-until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length-but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve. A prisoner in time...She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side. . . .… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,784,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible