Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By…

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil… (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:kathred1
Title:Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil Gigante(N) [Audiobook]
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Unabridged Audiobook (2007), Audio CD
Rating:***
Tags:Listened to eaudiobook 2012

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning (1999)

English (52)  Finnish (1)  All languages (53)
For being a modern 20th century girl from 1997, Ari adjusted too well to 16th century Scotland for my liking. I thought she would've missed modern technology more than she did. She only mentioned missing hot water. Only hot water?! And she didn't even seem bored when her days were mostly empty. No TV, no internet, no job and only a limited number of books -I'd die of boredom! Even with a hot husband and his loving mother for a companion.

Overall, it was quite slow but the characters were more likeable than those from [b:Fever|112750|Darkfever (Fever, #1)|Karen Marie Moning|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1276203648s/112750.jpg|108558] series and this was a much better first book than Darkfever. I will definitely be continuing with this series. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This was part of a BOGO offer on Audible, and this was basically the free book I picked up. I've been thinking of reading Moning's Fever books, so I thought this would give me a taste. I would probably still read her Fever books, but this was too regular romance for me.

It was a little formulaic ("I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I love you I'm so depressed we can't be together that I don't know how I'll live!!!), and I found the constant descriptions of everyone's physical beauty exhausting. I also hate "virgins" in romance novels. It was even worse here when I found out Adrienne was, because she was engaged to another guy that broke her heart, and the virgin thing sprang up later in the novel.

And I just couldn't get into the characters. As nice a guy as Hawk was trying to be, it got a uncomfortably controlling in the second half of the book. Hawk started to get increasingly angry at Adrienne for wanting to leave, not wanting to be his wife, not loving him, et cetera, when all of this was forced on her. His guilt speeches about how she should be grateful, and how she should be a good wife, and how he could force himself on her but doesn't, really creeped me out. He also kept trapping her in the dark to try and physically seduce her, which I also thought was creepy.

And... Adrienne was pretty unexciting. Just a poor girl that got used poorly by a bad man, then transported into 1500s Scotland. There's not much more to her than that. She did have a backbone, and tried to stand up and not get pushed around or swept away, but again, this got uncomfortable later when things were forced on her anyway.

Not a good read. Or listen. I found the narrator's female voices slightly offensive. ( )
  ConnieJo | Sep 4, 2014 |
AMAZING! Loved the characters, storytelling, setting and plot. There were many times throughout the book where I actually didn't know how things were going to end and when something outrageous happened it was exhilarating. This is my kind of book. Definitely going to read on. :) ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I liked the book alot in that it kept you locked to the story. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because it was infuriating the back and forth between Adrienne and Hawk. I mean come on already!! But other than that the book does not dissapoint. I have read all of the fever series and decided to try her Highland series. Can't wait to read the other books! ( )
  piper0820 | Jun 8, 2014 |
"You spotted snakes with double tongue
Thorny hedgehogs be not seen;
Newts and blind worms, do no wrong
Come not near our fairy queen."
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
The fragrance of jasmine and sandalwood drifted through the rowan trees.
And as she stepped into the archway, Grimm melted out of the shadows. She stopped, relieved. Try that again, she told herself. Write that scene one more time, Adrienne de Simone. It reads: she stopped, furious at being denied escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440234808, Mass Market Paperback)

He would sell his warrior soul to possess her. . . .

An alluring laird...

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart—until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length—but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:40 -0400)

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart-until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length-but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve. A prisoner in time...She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side. . . .… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible