Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By…

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil… (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Karen Marie Moning

Member:kathred1
Title:Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander) By Karen Marie Moning(A)/Phil Gigante(N) [Audiobook]
Authors:Karen Marie Moning
Info:Unabridged Audiobook (2007), Audio CD
Rating:***
Tags:Listened to eaudiobook 2012

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning (1999)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Anonymous user)
    The Bride by Julie Garwood (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both books are well written romances with hot Highland lairds and unwilling love interests. Garwood books tend to have a little less angst and a little more humor

English (67)  Finnish (1)  English (68)
Beyond the Highland Mist
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Laird of Dalkeith, Hawk Douglas’s reputation with the ladies is the stuff of legend even in the land of the fae. No woman has ever refused his touch but neither has one captured his heart until the arrival of Adrienne de Simone. A modern-day woman transported back in time to Medieval Scotland by a vengeful fairy, Adrienne is coerced into marriage to Hawk but swears that she will never again be tempted by a beautiful man. Can Hawk convince her of his love or will she deny him forever?

Review:
Time travel romances have never been a favorite of mine as they are often resolved unsatisfactorily with the heroine returning to her own time and falling in love with a descendent of the hero merely because he happens to look like his ancestor (seriously?!)
Thankfully, this does not happen here. The time travel element of the story plays a very small role and is handled intelligently with a satisfying ending.

The fae world is another engaging aspect of the book. While it is not the focus of the plot, which is more of a historical than a paranormal romance, the fae serve as a catalyst for the main events in the story. Much of the focus is on Adam Black, a trickster character very reminiscent of Puck from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night’s Dream. While not a particularly likeable or sympathetic character, he is intriguing and apparently gets his own book later in the series. It should be very entertaining to see him get what he deserves.

The relationship between Ari and Hawk is the highlight of the book. Their verbal sparring and banter is simply wonderful. It is particularly interesting to read a book in which the hero falls in love first and must convince the heroine that he is worthy of her. Hawk is noble and honorable when he could so easily be an arrogant ass. Adrienne is a strong character but she can be annoying at times with her prejudice toward good-looking men and her inability to see just how much Hawk loves her. Nevertheless, once she gives her heart, the romance improves greatly.

The main problem with the book is that a number of secondary conflicts are established but never resolved such as Ari's past in New Orleans, Hawk's relationship with Olivia and the things he was forced to do for King James.

Overall, a well-written book with an interesting premise and I will be continuing with the series.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I believe this is the first book in this series. I loved them, Couldn't read them fast enough. Each book finds the characters from the previous books making brief appearances. Each character has his story told in the books. Wish she would write more of this series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
As always Karen Marie Moning is a good storyteller and I fell headfirst into the story immediately. That in itself is something to be surprising for me as I am not a big fan of time travel but when the fae get involved and a handsome Laird, as well as a woman who doesn't complain about her lot too much are involved I seem to enjoy immensely. Really though, this book is filled with hunky mean and intelligent women, and a beautiful castle as well. What's not to love? ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Don't know what I was thinking. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 mainly because it did take me a bit to really get into the book. Once I got there though, I was hooked. I love Scottish romance first of all. I love the kilts, I love the brogue, and those Scots are oh so passionate! Both main characters in this book had such a sad and scary past that it's obvious to the reader they are meant for each other. Of course those pesky fae had to go muck things up. I love anything with Fairies too, so that boded well for this book. I also loved the little hint of a side romance going on, I thought it was very cute. I am hoping for a possibility of seeing more of Grimm in future books. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
"You spotted snakes with double tongue
Thorny hedgehogs be not seen;
Newts and blind worms, do no wrong
Come not near our fairy queen."
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
The fragrance of jasmine and sandalwood drifted through the rowan trees.
And as she stepped into the archway, Grimm melted out of the shadows. She stopped, relieved. Try that again, she told herself. Write that scene one more time, Adrienne de Simone. It reads: she stopped, furious at being denied escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440234808, Mass Market Paperback)

He would sell his warrior soul to possess her. . . .

An alluring laird...

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart—until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length—but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:26 -0400)

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart-until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length-but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve. A prisoner in time...She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side. . . .… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,654,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible