Amelia's Road by Linda Jacobs Altman

Amelia's Road (edition 1993)

by Linda Jacobs Altman

Title:Amelia's Road
Authors:Linda Jacobs Altman
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Tags:Countries, Regions, Continents

Amelia's Road by Linda Jacobs Altman

Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora (madu)
    madu: Both stories relate to children of migrant farm-workers

I liked Amelia's Road very much. Two of the reasons why I liked this book are that is pushes the reader, and the illustrations. This book pushes the reader in the essence of pushing the reader to empathize with how Amelia feels. Amelia feels sad that she has to move again when she begins to feel like she fits in where they had just moved to pick apples. She begins making friends and likes her class and then discovers that she has to move, yet again. She feels like she has no place that holds sentiment as home to her and reading about this pushes the reader to empathize how she feels trying to find a place she can call "home." The illustrations assisted in pushing the reader to empathize towards Amelia. The illustrations kept showing "Amelia's Road" and the tree that lied upon it. This illustration enforced that this place was Amelia's special place as she called it and then showed her digging the hole to place various momentos she held special to her. The message of this story was that a person doesn't necessarily need a location to have a feeling of home. A person can hold onto momentos and memories of their life and hold those as a reminder of their "home." ( )
  tpuryear | Oct 12, 2015 |
I liked reading "Amerlia's Road", a story that tells the message of finding strength and solace even in times of turmoil and change, because of two main reasons. First, I believe the author helped the reader connect to the story through the development of the main character, Amelia, a young daughter of a migrant farmer, through her believable innocence. This character presented the information about her life in a child-like way, like when she describes that her family has to move a lot and dreaming of a real home in a confused in troubled manner, for example. Second, I enjoyed reading on as the plot progressed because it constantly became more complex, with new aspects and details appearing to the reader as they read. The inclusion of side details and events kept the reader engaged, as it slowly uncovered what would come next in the story. A good example of this is when Amelia discovers a "remembrance box" at the base of the tree she comes to find comfort in, and the emotional significance it has to both Amelia, and therefor the development of the story. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Nov 8, 2014 |
I really liked this book! This book provides a window into the life of a child who moves around frequently, specifically in this story the girl was a migrant farmer and had to travel to harvest. I really liked the plot of this story, it begins with Amelia feeling uneasy about not having a sense of belonging anywhere "last year Amelia spent six weeks at Filmore Elementary school and the teacher had never bothered to learn her name". This quote helps emphasize Amelia's feelings of loneliness as she moves from town to town. I also really liked the characters in this story. Amelia is a very believable character. Once she is praised and included in class her whole day turns around and she decides to take a new way home. This way lead her to her tree where she finally felt at home. "Almost every day after work or school Amelia would sit under the tree and pretend she had finally come home". Through this writing I felt emotional for Amelia as she had to move away from her tree to another harvest. The main idea of this story is to show how people can find a place where they belong even when it seems as though there is no hope. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 13, 2014 |
When Professor Martens began to read this story to our class I immediately felt drawn to the main character. Along with character development, the author also used descriptive language, helpful illustrations and the plot line to convey her main idea. One aspect that helped the story gain my interest was the author’s use of descriptive language. An example of this is as Amelia walked down the unpaved road that meant so much to her, she “twirled her black hair through the beautiful meadow.” This helps each reader to start creating an image of this place and time as Amelia experienced it. I also found it interesting that as time passed the crops that were being harvested changed as well. I believe the illustrator chose to include this slight detail because that is how Amelia saw the seasons change. Finally the most moving aspect of this story was the overall plot and main message. It is something that any reader can relate to, therefore making the book more enticing. This commonly understood main message is that although we move on in this world, pieces of ourselves always stay behind. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Oct 13, 2014 |
I thought this was an excellent story and had a great plot to go along with it. One reason I enjoyed this book was because of the detailed, descriptive language. For example, the author did a great job of describing Amelia's dream house, as well as the words he used when describing how hurt and upset she felt that she did not feel she had a "home." Some of the words the author used to describe those feelings were "ached" and "stung." Another reason I enjoyed the story was because of the wonderful illustrations. They were all very realistic and the feelings and emotions Amelia felt were always depicted on her face in the illustrations. I also liked that the text was not always the focal point of the story. Some of the text was on the sides of the pages rather than in the center or on the bottom like most picture books. The big idea of the story is that anything can feel like "home," even if it is not technically a house. Another big idea is to show another aspect of life (in this case, that of migrant workers) and to show it is possible to find comfort no matter where you are. ( )
  KaraHankins | Oct 3, 2014 |

Tired of moving around so much, Amelia, the daughter of migrant farm workers, dreams of a stable home.

Lee & Low Books

4 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 188000027X, 1880000040, 1880000075, 1880000105

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible