Amelia's Road by Linda Jacobs Altman

Amelia's Road (edition 1993)

by Linda Jacobs Altman

Member:law2110
Title:Amelia's Road
Authors:Linda Jacobs Altman
Info:Scholastic, Paperback
Tags:Countries, Regions, Continents

Amelia's Road by Linda Jacobs Altman

Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora (madu)
    madu: Both stories relate to children of migrant farm-workers

I liked reading "Amerlia's Road", a story that tells the message of finding strength and solace even in times of turmoil and change, because of two main reasons. First, I believe the author helped the reader connect to the story through the development of the main character, Amelia, a young daughter of a migrant farmer, through her believable innocence. This character presented the information about her life in a child-like way, like when she describes that her family has to move a lot and dreaming of a real home in a confused in troubled manner, for example. Second, I enjoyed reading on as the plot progressed because it constantly became more complex, with new aspects and details appearing to the reader as they read. The inclusion of side details and events kept the reader engaged, as it slowly uncovered what would come next in the story. A good example of this is when Amelia discovers a "remembrance box" at the base of the tree she comes to find comfort in, and the emotional significance it has to both Amelia, and therefor the development of the story. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Nov 8, 2014 |
I really liked this book! This book provides a window into the life of a child who moves around frequently, specifically in this story the girl was a migrant farmer and had to travel to harvest. I really liked the plot of this story, it begins with Amelia feeling uneasy about not having a sense of belonging anywhere "last year Amelia spent six weeks at Filmore Elementary school and the teacher had never bothered to learn her name". This quote helps emphasize Amelia's feelings of loneliness as she moves from town to town. I also really liked the characters in this story. Amelia is a very believable character. Once she is praised and included in class her whole day turns around and she decides to take a new way home. This way lead her to her tree where she finally felt at home. "Almost every day after work or school Amelia would sit under the tree and pretend she had finally come home". Through this writing I felt emotional for Amelia as she had to move away from her tree to another harvest. The main idea of this story is to show how people can find a place where they belong even when it seems as though there is no hope. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 13, 2014 |
When Professor Martens began to read this story to our class I immediately felt drawn to the main character. Along with character development, the author also used descriptive language, helpful illustrations and the plot line to convey her main idea. One aspect that helped the story gain my interest was the author’s use of descriptive language. An example of this is as Amelia walked down the unpaved road that meant so much to her, she “twirled her black hair through the beautiful meadow.” This helps each reader to start creating an image of this place and time as Amelia experienced it. I also found it interesting that as time passed the crops that were being harvested changed as well. I believe the illustrator chose to include this slight detail because that is how Amelia saw the seasons change. Finally the most moving aspect of this story was the overall plot and main message. It is something that any reader can relate to, therefore making the book more enticing. This commonly understood main message is that although we move on in this world, pieces of ourselves always stay behind. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Oct 13, 2014 |
I thought this was an excellent story and had a great plot to go along with it. One reason I enjoyed this book was because of the detailed, descriptive language. For example, the author did a great job of describing Amelia's dream house, as well as the words he used when describing how hurt and upset she felt that she did not feel she had a "home." Some of the words the author used to describe those feelings were "ached" and "stung." Another reason I enjoyed the story was because of the wonderful illustrations. They were all very realistic and the feelings and emotions Amelia felt were always depicted on her face in the illustrations. I also liked that the text was not always the focal point of the story. Some of the text was on the sides of the pages rather than in the center or on the bottom like most picture books. The big idea of the story is that anything can feel like "home," even if it is not technically a house. Another big idea is to show another aspect of life (in this case, that of migrant workers) and to show it is possible to find comfort no matter where you are. ( )
  KaraHankins | Oct 3, 2014 |
"Amelia's Road," was a sweet tale that I enjoyed reading for many reasons. The book is about a little girl named Amelia, she and her family are known as migrant farm workers. Amelia continuously travels with her family to find new work. Amelia desperately wants a place to call home even though "home" is always moving. This book has a lot of text on each page but the text was organized to the side of the page and did not take away from the illustrations on the other side of the page. Something that I did not like about the large amounts of text was I found that the story would progress a lot in one page and the illustrations did not represent enough of the transition that was going on in the text. For example, all in one page Amelia had her first day of school and the illustration on the page was of Amelia working on a project in class. The picture on the page was relevant to one event that happened in the text on that page but Amelia’s first day of school was very event filled and the illustration did not correspond with most of the text on the page. An aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the word choice. The word choice in the story told a lot about Amelia's character. "Amelia had to be extra careful so she wouldn't bruise the fruit." Not only is farming Amelia's life, but the immense amount of attention that Amelia showed when piking fruit told a lot about Amelia's personality, that she is a caring and thoughtful individual. One last thing that I really appreciated about this book was I felt that through the text Amelia spoke to her readers about the message of the book. Amelia was not shy to say that she wanted a place to call her own, and at the end of the story when Amelia found her road it gave hope to her readers that everyone has or will find their own place. ( )
  EmilyEgert | Oct 1, 2014 |

Tired of moving around so much, Amelia, the daughter of migrant farm workers, dreams of a stable home.

Lee & Low Books

4 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 188000027X, 1880000040, 1880000075, 1880000105

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,491,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible