Born of Night (The League, Book 1) by…

Born of Night (The League, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:steph8787
Title:Born of Night (The League, Book 1)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Already Finished
Rating:*****

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
Nykyrian has quit the League, a sort of justice-serving group that is above the law, and is on the run. He was the best of the best, however, and knows that he can keep his enemies at bay. His team of outlaw assassins travels the universe delivering their own sort of justice, mercenary but with their own codes of honor. When Kiara, the daughter of a political leader, has contracts taken out on her life, Nykyrian agrees to protect her. But what started out as a job soon becomes personal.

One of my friends started recommending Sherrilyn Kenyon's books when I needed to read something on the lighter side. I started with her young adult series, and this is the first of her adult books I tried. I really liked Nykyrian and his backstory, and seeing how his relationship with Kiara developed as she refused to be afraid of him and he started to trust her. I don't generally read books with as much sex as this has, but at the same time it made sense within the story and didn't feel gratuitous. I sometimes found the writing overly conversational to the point of being grammatically incorrect and grating. Overall, though, I enjoyed the story and may read others in the series in the future. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 11, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. The characters and world both had me enthralled, and while the plot wasn't particularly fast paced I found the character development compensated. My main pet peeve was the lackluster Nemesis arc - I think it could have been interesting to explore that further, and something about 'quitting' a room just makes me cringe. ( )
  Lila_Lockhart | Sep 28, 2013 |
I really like this futuristic read from Sherrilyn Kenyon. The Hero is a typical tortured Sherrilyn Kenyon character. Kinda like Zaric from the dark hunters but with his own quirks.

At the beginning I felt like a teenage was writing it because of the language but it started getting better quickly. I'm not sure if it was because the story got better, the dialog, or the actual writing. Still there are things that get me... like when you wonder, 'who is filming this home video?'. It is like seeing someone's P.O.V. from out side their head. Not likely that someone was recording video to keep as a keepsake.

Along with that, there are points that characters reactions are over the top. I actually understand this with Nekirian because of his trust issues, but not so much with Kiara, or with Sin. And the last thing that keep this from being a 5 star for me was the times she was captured. You know that is going to happen in this type of book so not a spoiler. The first time, Nekirian leaves her hidden and safe and some how is younger brother "finds" her. Luckily this was a quick save. The next time was when she goes to the bathroom and talks her out of him coming with her. He is on high alert so I just don't see that happening at all. I can imagine it happening some other manner but not him letting his guard down at dinner. Especially since he would not be comfortable being alone with his parents, so he wouldn't have wanted to stay at the table alone anyway.

So really like the story. Loved the characters and will definitely read the next ones in the series. The third book is actually about the 2nd generation and was published before this one, so I am expecting the quality of writing to be even more immature, though not too much so. Her ideas and world building definitely make it up. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
Such an excellent book! I loved it! I want more :) ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
In this futuristic romance, Ambassador Tiarun’s daughter Kiara is being threatened due to a political disagreement with an alien race. Nykyrian and his team are hired to protect her. Though Nykyrian is a hybrid human/Andarion assassin who believes he’s not worthy of love, Kiara’s presence in his life threatens that long-held conviction.
The story is entertaining enough, and Nykyrian is a decent character with a good back-story to discover, but the writing is rather juvenile. I was rather surprised by this because I've heard people rave about this author. Here's an example, though: “No doubt he thought himself quite a catch because of his wealth and money.” If you don’t see anything wrong with that sentence, you’ll probably be okay with reading this. Otherwise, you might want to give this a skip. ( )
1 vote EmScape | Jan 17, 2013 |
"I quit the League tonight."

Princess Kiara Zamir in repulsed by those who perpetuate violence like the brutal attacks on her family. Nykyrian Quiakides, a hybrid human and Andarion (a predatory alien race), is a former assassin for The League, who now leads a group of vigilantes known as The Sentella. Ironically, Nykyrian's team finds themselves serving as protectors of Kiara against kidnappers and assassins, giving Kiara and Nykyrian, two broken individuals, a chance at romance-if they can survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312942303, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Ichidian Universe, The League and their ruthless assassins rule all. Expertly trained and highly valued, the League Assassins are the backbone of the government. But not even the League is immune to corruption . . .

Command Assassin Nykyrian Quikiades once turned his back on the League—and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father’s political alliance has made her a target.

As her world becomes even deadlier, Kiara must entrust her life to the same kind of beast who once killed her mother and left her for dead. Old enemies and new threaten them both and the only way they can survive is to overcome their suspicions and learn to trust in the very ones who threaten them the most: each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:12 -0400)

"He was born and trained to kill. Command Assassin Nykyrian Quiakides once turned his back on the League--and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father's political alliance has made her a target."--page [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible