Born of Night (The League, Book 1) by…

Born of Night (The League, Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Series: League (1)

Title:Born of Night (The League, Book 1)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Already Finished

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Kodibear)
    Kodibear: A man with a tortured past learns not only trust, but how to love and be loved.
    Man of My Dreams [Anthology 4-in-1] by Sherrilyn Kenyon (TheBooknerd)

English (30)  German (1)  All languages (31)
  jamespurcell | Aug 31, 2016 |
Enjoying the sense of humor and the full feel of the worlds the author created.
The more I listen, the more I hear a romance angle that I didn't originally expect.

Getting a little tired of the whininess of the FMC. For a modern day princess, she reminds me too much of the fairytale women who needed big, strong men to rescue them. And if someone were to say she has PTSD, please show me a better idea of this than previous memories flooding in, as that isn't the only thing that happens.

So I supposed a whole chapter dedicated to the main two characters ... learning about each other's body could be seen as characterization, or possibly advancing the plot, but I'm wondering if it could have been presented a different way, or something. I'm not really a prude, but it felt out of place with the way the rest of the book has been.

Definitely stepping into cliche territory now... Big Bad killer can't afford to have sweet little helpless dancer around so fakes his death in front of her. Then she comes up pregnant with his kid. Nope. Not cliche at all. /sarcasm
Okay, done reading. This is not going to be pretty

The first half of the book is a solid 5 star science fiction story. Lovely, well built universe and awesome characterizations. The second half of the book is at best a two star romance. Cliche ridden, unnecessary scenes, and a complete right turn from the first half of the book.

I can see why this wasn't the first book published, even if it's the first book of the series.

There are parts where the early book plot points, which took up a majority of the plot discussion, are just closed with a few sentences. And wrapped up in an unbelievable way. The whole love at first sight thing I'm not going to hate on, but a few other points are cliche to the point of them being in Mel Brooks movies.

I'll try this writer again, but I pray she doesn't pull this strange right turn crap again. Cause it just sucks. ( )
  gilroy | Jul 19, 2016 |
I am reminded again of why this is such an astounding book! Bravo!

giraffkrzy | Feb 17, 2016 |
Audio- It was predictable, Hardened Alpha man, damaged by years of abuse meets sweet kind woman that changes his world. He saves her, she saves him. Simple plot, and not normally interesting enough for me to finish a story. But, I really liked the characters, they were all so quirky and unique as was the world created. I sat on the edge of my seat even though I knew what was going to happen already, I liked their reactions to the events. I will not rush out to read the next in this series but I will read it ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Well..... I started out with an audiobook and the narration wasn't to my liking. So, I switched to ebook format. The fantasy genre isn't something that I normally like all that much. But, I did enjoy this story. For the story, I'd give it 3 stars. For the relationship between H/h is a 1. I also didn't care for the heroine at all. She was everything that I dislike in a heroine... and I just couldn't relate to her at all.

After reading the author's note, I learned that this was Sherrilyn Kenyon's first book she ever wrote. This was written in 1986 and published in 1996. She has since picked up the series again. I think future books in this series will be much better so I'm willing to try more books. I noticed that there is a new narrator for book 2 so I will try the audio version as well. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
"I quit the League tonight."

Princess Kiara Zamir in repulsed by those who perpetuate violence like the brutal attacks on her family. Nykyrian Quiakides, a hybrid human and Andarion (a predatory alien race), is a former assassin for The League, who now leads a group of vigilantes known as The Sentella. Ironically, Nykyrian's team finds themselves serving as protectors of Kiara against kidnappers and assassins, giving Kiara and Nykyrian, two broken individuals, a chance at romance-if they can survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312942303, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Ichidian Universe, The League and their ruthless assassins rule all. Expertly trained and highly valued, the League Assassins are the backbone of the government. But not even the League is immune to corruption . . .

Command Assassin Nykyrian Quikiades once turned his back on the League—and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father’s political alliance has made her a target.

As her world becomes even deadlier, Kiara must entrust her life to the same kind of beast who once killed her mother and left her for dead. Old enemies and new threaten them both and the only way they can survive is to overcome their suspicions and learn to trust in the very ones who threaten them the most: each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:47 -0400)

"He was born and trained to kill. Command Assassin Nykyrian Quiakides once turned his back on the League--and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father's political alliance has made her a target."--page [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,738,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible