Selected Stories by Alice Munro

Selected Stories (1985)

by Alice Munro

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
I found it difficult to create a connection with her writing style. As she won a Nobel prize in literature, I forced myself to end the book, but it was a pointless experience. ( )
  Princesca | May 4, 2018 |

You may have noticed that I've been on a bit of an Alice Munro binge over the last year, generated in the first place by enthusiasm from my wife. These are selected stories from her output in 1968-1994, and they are all good, some of them brillinat, observation of life in southern Ontario (particularly for women) over the decades. "Postcard", from which I've taken an excerpt above, is a particularly good one told by a woman in a doomed relationship that everyone else, including the reader, can see isn't happening. "Carried Away" is an intricate tale of a librarian, a soldier, and a decapitation. "Dance of the Happy Shades" features the discomfort afflicting the comfortable resulting from a musical performance by children with special needs. In "Fits", a woman finds her neighbours' bodies after a murder/suicide pact, but the real story is how the details become known to her community and her husband. All take you into the moment; all recommended. ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 22, 2016 |
A good read. Florida ( )
  mahallett | Dec 18, 2015 |
A book I come back to over and over again when I can't figure out how to write a particular image, reach a specific moment. It's not a book you read cover to cover, but one you take years to get through because there's only so much beauty and heartbreak I can take in a day. I wanted to go slow with her, let her reveal the world a moment at a time. ( )
1 vote mkgutierrez | Oct 23, 2015 |
Read a few stories. Not my cup of tea. ( )
1 vote JeanetteSkwor | Oct 15, 2015 |
For Virginia Barber My essential support and friend for twenty years
After supper my father days, "want to go down and see if the Lake's still there?" (Walker Brothers Cowboy)

This first-ever selection of Alice Munro's stories sums up her genius. Her territory is the secrets that crackle beneath the facade of everyday lives, the pain and promises, loves and fears of apparently ordinary men and women whom she renders extraordinary and unforgettable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067976674X, Paperback)

"Too many things," a creative writing instructor tells the narrator of "Differently." "Too many things going on at the same time; also too many people. Think, he told her. What is the important thing? What do you want us to pay attention to? Think." What does Alice Munro want us to pay attention to in her Selected Stories? Everything, really, and so her narratives loop back on themselves, jump decades backward and forward in time, introduce characters who later drop out of the action, and generally break every rule in the short-story-writing book. In "Carried Away," for instance, a dead character makes a sudden, inexplicable appearance in what is otherwise the thoroughly naturalistic account of a librarian's disappointment with love. "The Albanian Virgin" is two stories in one: the first--the fanciful tale of Ghegs kidnapping a young Canadian woman--is told within the second, about a bookstore owner who has lost her own bearings after a divorce. There are stories that begin with their endings, and several more that end with beginnings; others are told from three or four different angles, each with varying degrees of reliability. Taken together, they form an intricate web of relationships and connections, falsehood and anecdote, a kind of fictional palimpsest laid over the faint traces of plot.

And yet Munro trusts her readers; she believes that we will pay attention to all these things and more. She aims to create the illusion that everything in her fiction has been left in, and it is this very capaciousness that sets her work apart, making possible the keen psychological insight of her stories about marriage as well as the cool violence of "Vandals" or "Fits." Hers is an unusual sort of realism, technically innovative and amenable--especially in the later work--to loose ends. (It also possesses a quick, flinty wit: "This was the first time I understood how God could become a real opponent, not just some kind of nuisance or large decoration," says the narrator of "The Progress of Love.") To call Munro the Canadian Chekhov is by now a commonplace--and yet she may have done more for the short fiction form than any writer since. These are stories that will be read, savored, and admired hundreds of years from now. --Mary Park

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Twenty-eight stories set in farms and small towns around Lake Huron. They include Dance of the Happy Shades, on a retired piano teacher, and Walker Brothers Cowboy, on two children making calls with their salesman father during the 1930s depression.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,013,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible