Selected Stories (1985)

by Alice Munro

This generous selection of stories drawn from Alice Munro's seven collections - the work of almost thirty years - is a literary event of the highest order, one that confirms Munro's place in the very front ranks of today's writers of fiction. From the first story, about two children making sales calls with their father during the Depression and turning off the road they're traveling on to visit one of his old girlfriends, we know we've entered the magic of "Alice Munro country" - a world of passionate and often hidden loves, betrayals, family secrets, and unspoken sympathies, a world that encompasses big cities as well as the area of farms, small towns, and resorts around Lake Huron.… (more)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I found it difficult to create a connection with her writing style. As she won a Nobel prize in literature, I forced myself to end the book, but it was a pointless experience. ( )
  Princesca | May 4, 2018 |
These stories are x-rays of human thoughts, emotions and motivations. The protagonist often analyses her/his motives very sharply, without hesitations, which often is painful, but honest to the bone. After reading a few of these stories you are left with the idea that no morality is possible, human behaviour is just too ambiguous and complex. Very, very well written. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |

You may have noticed that I've been on a bit of an Alice Munro binge over the last year, generated in the first place by enthusiasm from my wife. These are selected stories from her output in 1968-1994, and they are all good, some of them brillinat, observation of life in southern Ontario (particularly for women) over the decades. "Postcard", from which I've taken an excerpt above, is a particularly good one told by a woman in a doomed relationship that everyone else, including the reader, can see isn't happening. "Carried Away" is an intricate tale of a librarian, a soldier, and a decapitation. "Dance of the Happy Shades" features the discomfort afflicting the comfortable resulting from a musical performance by children with special needs. In "Fits", a woman finds her neighbours' bodies after a murder/suicide pact, but the real story is how the details become known to her community and her husband. All take you into the moment; all recommended. ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 22, 2016 |
A good read. Florida ( )
  mahallett | Dec 18, 2015 |
A book I come back to over and over again when I can't figure out how to write a particular image, reach a specific moment. It's not a book you read cover to cover, but one you take years to get through because there's only so much beauty and heartbreak I can take in a day. I wanted to go slow with her, let her reveal the world a moment at a time. ( )
1 vote mkgutierrez | Oct 23, 2015 |
For Virginia Barber My essential support and friend for twenty years
After supper my father days, "want to go down and see if the Lake's still there?" (Walker Brothers Cowboy)

This first-ever selection of Alice Munro's stories sums up her genius. Her territory is the secrets that crackle beneath the facade of everyday lives, the pain and promises, loves and fears of apparently ordinary men and women whom she renders extraordinary and unforgettable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible