Smart Boys & Fast Girls by Stephie Davis

Smart Boys & Fast Girls

by Stephie Davis

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

I actually ended up liking Smart Boys and Fast Girls a bit more than I expected. At first, I really wasn't sure about it. It didn't start out very good, what with that terrible cliquishness in the beginning, and that the "bomb" so to speak was dropped within the first few pages. But I kept reading in the hope that it would would get better. And I definitely think that it did.

At first, I was convinced that this was going to be an overly simplistic book. And it was fairly simple, but I found that I liked it like that. Everyone had such a straight-forward way of going about things-- there was no beating around the bush here!

Well, accept for the obvious beating, you know. Speaking of which, Natalie and Matt's faux-relationship was so adorable. It was predictable, but it was just the cutest thing that I can think of right off. I liked them as separate characters too, though. Natalie is her own brand of awesome, even if it's clear that she doesn't really think too much about how her decisions impact others. And they do. But Matt-- even if he's too young for me, that boy is so sweet.

I liked that none of their interactions ever felt forced, no matter how far-fetched their plotting was. And that ending was absolutely perfect. It was sappy and cheesy and wonderful-- the best kind of ending.

All in all, Smart Boys and Fast Girls was a cute and satisfying read. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who's looking for a little fluff! ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Apr 17, 2013 |
ON YOUR MARK

Natalie Page is overlooked and unappreciated.
Yeah, sure, she can run fast.
Yeah, sure, all the boys love her...as a buddy.
Yeah, she has plans every weekend night...with her friends and their boyfriends.

GET SET

It's time for the world to sit up and take notice. When Natalie makes the varsity cross country team, it seems like the fast track to being cool. The popular girls notice her, the hunky captain of the boys team is giving her rides home. Natalie Page is off and running.

Then she starts to fail geometry. She has to get a tutor: a very annoying boy who thinks sports are for idiots. A very smart boy who thinks she's stupid. A very cute boy who already has a girlfriend and has no interest in her. A boy she told her parents she was dating.

GO!

Natalie Page can run.
Now she has to decide how to finish.

I liked it, yet I don't know, something about it irks me at times. I would like to question the maturity level of certain characters *cough* Natalie *cough*. Her obsession with being "cool" is probably the only real thing in this book that annoys me. I understand how she feels, being a high school student myself, but really, she's trying a little TOO hard to fit in if you ask me. Making some poor innocent boy who has a serious girlfriend pretend to be your boyfriend just to hide the fact that you're being tutored is a little too much, don't you think? Especially when the guy's girlfriend does not like the situation so you bribe him with a job opportunity he really wants.

But if you ask me, that's how high school works. Well, it's a little exaggerated, but close enough. It does describe the classic high school cliques. The "stupid jocks" and "annoying math geeks". I feel for Natalie because it is difficult to be a guy's "buddy" instead of girlfriend. Then there's the evil, vindictive ex girlfriend of the guy, Zach, that Natalie likes. Along with her boy troubles, NAtalie also faces some within her friends. She feels left out because all her close friends have boyfriends. That's understandable really. I have to say though, I was rooting for Matt and Natalie to be together. It would be pretty predictable, classic jock and brain relationship, but I think they're cute together. I felt bad for Matt's girlfriend though. As I got towards the end, I got giddy (yes, giddy) because I could tell that Matt was going to change his mind about going to London and show up at Natalie's meet. It was really sweet and even though Natalie did bother me at times, I did like the book. It is a pretty short, enjoyable read, which is exactly why I picked it up in the first place. It's the perfect summer read for teen girls, or anyone looking for a quick paced romantic comedy. ( )
  Danielle_Ruby | Jul 11, 2011 |
Smart Boys and Fast Girls is a super quick, fun read, and isn't like normal chick lit.
Natalie is a sophmore, and made it on the varsity cross country team. But when she starts to fail geometry, she is given a choice: get a tutor and get B-'s on her tests so she'll pass, or be taken off cross country. So she choses the tutor, and he is a cute boy named Matt, but has ego issues with jocks, and assumes that Natalie is one. So when she tells her parents that he is her boyfriend, things get shaken up. Matt already has a girlfriend, and doesnt want to go alonng with the plan. But he decides to just so he can try to get a job with Natalie's dad. And this may mess up things with Natalie and her crush-showing-interest Zach.
I loved this book, and it really made me laugh. And I read it through in like, two hours. And I toally felt like Matt, Natalie, and even Natalie's friends were real.
LOVE! ( )
  lauren97224 | Jul 15, 2009 |
It's the YA kind of book teenage girls love to read (not to mention anybody else who is still young at heart and remembers what a high school crush and romance feels like). One of the things I really enjoy about the novel is the voice of Natalie Page. She is authentic in showing what it feels like to work your way to appreciated status in the high school bureaucracy of cliques. Jocks have standards, the brainiacs have standards, but isn't wonderful when the two can sort of mesh? Well, without giving away the ending, you will surely enjoy and reread all the tense, fresh, flirtatious conversations between Natalie and her fake boyfriend, Matt--the supersmart boy who easily grows on any girl with his confidence and cuteability. See full review at http://athenasbooks.blogspot.com ( )
  minnievasquez | May 15, 2009 |
Wrong boy! Run! Run fast! I liked the idea of jock girl/brainy guy. I didn't like the old 'I just want to be popular/hang with the in-crowd/date the popular jerk'. There were some complexities, but somehow, they just didn't bloom. But hey. At least it was a fast read. ( )
  kikilon | Mar 31, 2009 |
The first thing I noticed about the varsity cross-country team was that the boys were way cuter than they were on the junior varsity.

Natalie is overlooked at school until she makes the cross country team. She struggles with geometry and is given a nerdy boy tutor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible