Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Shadow Divers (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Robert Kurson

Member:MattBT
Title:Shadow Divers
Authors:Robert Kurson
Info:Random House (2004), Paperback, 375 pages

Shadow divers : the true adventure of two Americans who risked everything to solve one of the last mysteries of World War II by Robert Kurson (2004)

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All languages (53)
Swim over to my blog, Opinions of a Bookaholic, for an in-depth review of this exciting book! http://opinionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2013/01/shadow-divers-robert-kurson.ht... ( )
  M_Sawtelle | Apr 6, 2016 |
Nazi sub 40 miles off the coast of New Jersey. Enjoy! ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Good undersea exploration adventure. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I do not normally enjoy books in this genre, but I was captured by the single-mindedness and toughness of the key divers in the book. When I read books like Touching the Void and this one, I realize I'm not all that tough. THESE GUYS are tough and more than a little crazy. I'm thankful that humans are wired to live vicariously through others.

The book centers on the unique culture of treasure seeking divers. They raise capital each year and spend as much time as they are able to searching the sea for lost boats. I enjoyed reading about the development of underwater diving and how changes in mixtures of chemicals allowed divers to go deeper for longer periods of time. Kurson did a solid job of explaining the perils deep divers face and how the simplest mistakes most often turn deadly. Space is unforgiving and the deep seas is no slouch in this regard either.

The main divers in the book discover what they believe is a German sub off of the US east coast. Their pursuit of what's on board it, the secrecy under which they work, and their ultimate results as years of diving and researching, is interesting. I did find the end to drag along, but that doesn't take away from the entire experience of the book. Worth reading if you enjoy these types of books. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
When I was around ten years old my dad handed me this book. Looking back on it, I'm not too sure why he did so.

This is what I remember: I heard the word "motherfucker" for the first time, and reflected that it's one hell of a curse word. I became engrossed in the truth and real journalism in this novel--it made me realize the mysteries of the world and the great depths of the sea. Mostly, though, I remember loving the men and their devotion to this wreck. I remember them perservering through it all to try to uncover the truth about something they had fallen in love with, in a way.

I guess he had wanted to entertain me while I was stuck with him at his office the whole day. Maybe he wanted to teach me a lesson about dedication and freindship. Maybe he wanted to teach me about my Jewish heritage and submarines and warfare and such, somehow.

I remember loving this book and not putting it down until I was finished. Mostly, though, I just remember asking my dad what a motherfucker was, hah! ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come. - Franz Kafka, Diaries
For Amy, the answer to my life's research
For Nate, already a seeker
Bill Nagle's life changed the day a fisherman sat beside him in a ramshackle bar and told him about a mystery he had found lying at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345482476, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tradition of Jon Krakauer’s Into Thin Air and Sebastian Junger’s The Perfect Storm comes a true tale of riveting adventure in which two weekend scuba divers risk everything to solve a great historical mystery–and make history themselves.

But in the fall of 1991, not even these courageous divers were prepared for what they found 230 feet below the surface, in the frigid Atlantic waters sixty miles off the coast of New Jersey: a World War II German U-boat, its ruined interior a macabre wasteland of twisted metal, tangled wires, and human bones–all buried under decades of accumulated sediment.

Over the next six years, an elite team of divers embarked on a quest to solve the mystery. Some of them would not live to see its end. Chatterton and Kohler, at first bitter rivals, would be drawn into a friendship that deepened to an almost mystical sense of brotherhood with each other and with the drowned U-boat sailors–former enemies of their country. As the men’s marriages frayed under the pressure of a shared obsession, their dives grew more daring, and each realized that he was hunting more than the identities of a lost U-boat and its nameless crew.

Author Robert Kurson’s account of this quest is at once thrilling and emotionally complex, and it is written with a vivid sense of what divers actually experience when they meet the dangers of the ocean’s underworld. The story of Shadow Divers often seems too amazing to be true, but it all happened, two hundred thirty feet down, in the deep blue sea.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:32 -0400)

"For John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, deep wreck diving was more than a sport. Testing themselves against treacherous currents, braving depths that induced hallucinatory effects, navigating through wreckage as perilous as a minefield, they pushed themselves to their limits and beyond, brushing against death more than once in the rusting hulks of sunken ships." "But in the fall of 1991, not even these courageous divers were prepared for what they found 230 feet below the surface, in the frigid Atlantic waters sixty miles off the coast of New Jersey: a World War II German U-boat, its ruined interior a macabre wasteland of twisted metal, tangled wires, and human bones - all buried under decades of accumulated sediment." "No identifying marks were visible on the submarine or the few artifacts brought to the surface. No historian, expert, or government had a clue as to which U-boat the men had found. In fact, the official records all agreed that there simply could not be a sunken U-boat and crew at that location." "Over the next six years, an elite team of divers embarked on a quest to solve the mystery. Some of them would not live to see its end. Chatterton and Kohler, at first bitter rivals, would be drawn into a friendship that deepened to an almost mystical sense of brotherhood with each other and with the drowned U-boat sailors - former enemies of their country. As the men's marriages frayed under the pressure of a shared obsession, their dives grew more daring, and each realized that he was hunting more than the identities of a lost U-boat and its nameless crew."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible