Ellen Ochoa by Elizabeth D. Jaffe

This biography was very interesting. It first captured the reader’s interest by asking questions. Then, it proceeded to inform the reader about how Ellen Ochoa became an astronaut. She was the first Hispanic woman to go into space. This book was very interesting. It did not have too many words per page, which kept it interesting. I learned from this book and I’m sure many other readers will as well. I liked this book because of the examples it gave to support the statements the author made. For example, the author was discussing how everything in the space shuttle floated around—even Ellen Ochoa. Following that, a sentence read, “She strapped herself down to exercise, eat, and play her flute.” I think this helps the reader connect to what they are reading. Every reader can relate to one of those activities, which allows them to see how strange is must be to strap yourself down to do that. I also liked how the picture right next to that page had Ellen Ochoa strapped down to the ground and playing her flute. I thought that was an important picture to have. It allows the reader to have a visual of what the author means when she says, “strapped down.”
Another thing I enjoyed was the beginning of the book. I was not looking forward to reading a biography, but this caught my attention. It began by asking the reader a series of questions. For example, “Where would you like to go in space?” I thought this was a neat way of beginning the book instead of beginning with facts about Ellen Ochoa’s life. Overall, I think the main message was to persevere and never give up on your dreams. Ellen Ochoa may have been denied at first, but kept trying and did not give up. She was able to live her dream and go into space three times! I think this is important lesson for everyone to learn. People give up on their dreams very easily if the journey is too difficult. I think we need to learn from this book and keep pushing through even when we want to quit. Overall, I thought this was a good and informative book about Ellen Ochoa’s life. I think it important for people to study other people’s lives. I would recommend this book to someone who was thinking about becoming an astronaut, loved space, or anyone who was interested. ( )
  AnneJohnson | Mar 3, 2015 |
This rookie biography is an easy read about the first Hispanic female astronaut. Although this book is a biography, I feel it lacks in the feel of a biography, as far as the wealth of information is concerned.
  alcrumpler | Jul 14, 2014 |

Presents a brief look at the life of Ellen Ochoa.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Provides a brief description of the first Hispanic woman astronaut. Men and women have made a variety of contributions throughout the history of science and technology. Accounts of past events, people, places, and situations contribute to our understanding of the past and biographies are an area of high interest for young readers, describing how people in different areas reflects ideas, personality, culture, and wants and needs in their homes, schools, etc., and explores factors that contribute to one's identity such as interests, capabilities, and perceptions. Includes index and words you know section that highlights terms and concepts from the text and illustrates them with photographs. Photographs are directly related to the text to encourage independent reading.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,773,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible