The Tongue Set Free: Remembrance of a…

The Tongue Set Free: Remembrance of a European Childhood (1977)

by Elias Canetti

English (3)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (6)
The first of Elias Canetti's memoirs, about his childhood in Europe during the first world war, his father's death, and his perverse, ambivalent relationship with his mother. Gripping, often moving work. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The first of three memoirs covering the life of Elias Canetti. So wonderfully written, much more superb than the writing of Vladimir Nabokov and his [b:Speak, Memory|30594|Speak, Memory|Vladimir Nabokov|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1346107008s/30594.jpg|2540547]. Typically, childhood memories are not my cup of tea but Canetti kept me engaged and extremely interested in what he had to say. ( )
  MSarki | Jan 24, 2015 |
"My earliest memory is dipped in red. I come out of a door on the arm of a maid, the floor in front of me is red, and to the left a staircase goes down, equally red. Across from us, at the same height, a door opens, and a smiling man steps forth, walking towards me in a friendly way. He steps right up close to me, halts, and says: "Show me your tongue." I stick out my tongue, he reaches into his pocket, pulls out a jackknife, opens it, and brings the blade all the way to my tongue. He says: "Now we'll cut off his tongue." I don’t dare pull back my tongue, he comes closer and closer, the blade will touch me any second. In the last moment, he pulls back the knife, saying: "Not today, tomorrow." He snaps the knife shut again and puts it back in his pocket…." (p 3)

Elias Canetti, winner of the 1981 Nobel, was born on this day in 1905. Canetti’s reputation as a polyglot and polymath can be traced to his cultured upbringing and cosmopolitan travels — born in Bulgaria, raised in Vienna, Zurich and Frankfurt, most of his working life spent in London. The hero of his most famous novel, Auto-da-Fé, is a reclusive, book-loving scholar, a man easily entrapped and destroyed by his small-minded and self-centered antagonists. Published as Europe slid into WWII, the book is often read as a voice of warning, as is the later Crowds and Power, perhaps Canetti’s most famous book. This is an anthropological-philosophical study which finds a herd-animal pathology behind many cultural events and social groups.
In his autobiographical writing, Canetti made no apologies for being an outspoken individualist. “My chief trait,” he writes in Party in the Blitz, memoirs covering his years in England, “much my strongest quality, which has never been compromised, was the insistence on myself.”
His memoir spans three volumes of which The Tongue Set Free is the first. In this premiere look at his early life, subtitled "Remembrance of a European Childhood" he presents the years from 1905 to 1921 in chapters based on his residences: Ruschuk, Manchester, Vienna, finally Zurich. The opening paragraph, quoted above, suggests that Canetti was destined to take speaking up as his life-theme. But his education was of primary interest to me. It was broad and classical in one sense and reflective of his changing abodes over the years before and after the Great War. By the time he was in his teens in Zurich he was already a writer, having written a play, Junius Brutus, a tragedy in five acts. But he also studied music and it is in this that I feel closest to this great writer and thinker. ( )
  jwhenderson | Jul 25, 2012 |

Elias Canettiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colorni, RenataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duquesnoy, TheodorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Georges Canetti

1911 - 1971
Meine früheste Erinnerung ist in Rot getaucht.
Man meint sich für die Welt zu öffnen und zahlt dafür mit Blindheit in der Nähe.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,024,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible