A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of…

A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of Hannah Breece

by Hannah Breece

Entertaining book from the journals of a schoolteacher in remote parts of Alaska. She was incredibly intrepid about traveling great distances, and worked hard to educate not just children but their parents about cleanliness, health, and “civilization”. It’s clear she has a low opinion of their values and standards of living, but she also seems to have affectionate relationships with many people. Her niece, Jane Jacobs of city planning fame, organized her writings and explained the background of many of the events and characters who appear. ( )
  piemouth | Aug 14, 2017 |
I've started this book a couple of times, put it down, and come back to it. I can't seem to get into it even though the first chapter, which I've managed to finish each time I've picked it up, is quite interesting. It may be that the book just doesn't suit my mood every time I've picked it up.
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |
  slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
I don't think I would have liked Hannah Breece--but she typifies the do-gooder zeal of her time. She doesn't really write too much about her interactions in the classroom, which is a pity since I was hoping for another [[Sylvia Ashton Warner]]-style book. She says she was well loved by her villagers, but she really had a low opinion of them. I don't think I would have finished this without the lengthy Forward written by her niece, Jane Jacobs, who readied the manuscript for publication. Jacobs did an excellent job of preparing the reader to look past the prejudices and consider what a challenge this woman undertook. Jacobs then provides an excellent Epilogue which explains some of the historic events and personages mentioned or alluded to. ( )
1 vote juniperSun | Sep 18, 2011 |
Very interesting to see how school starts at a remote area. Pictures was included. The only drawback was not enough information of the details. ( )
  njaw09 | Mar 1, 2009 |

Hannah Breeceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jacobs, JaneEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When Hannah Breece came to Alaska in 1904, it was a remote lawless wilderness of prospectors, murderous bootleggers, tribal chiefs, and Russian priests.  She spent fourteen years educating Athabascans, Aleuts, Inuits, and Russians with the stubborn generosity of a born teacher and the clarity of an original and independent mind.  Jane Jacobs, Hannah's great-niece, here offers an historical context to Breece's remarkable eyewitness account, filling in the narrative gaps, but always allowing the original words to ring clearly.  It is more than an adventure story:  it is a powerful work of women's history that provides important--and, at times, unsettling--insights into the unexamined assumptions and attitudes that governed white settler's behavior toward native communities at the turn of the century.

"An unforgettable...story of a remarkable woman who lived a heroic life."--The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

Describes the experiences of a woman sent by the government in 1904 to live and teach in the Alaskan wilderness

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,249,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible