Parallel Attraction by Deidre Knight

I don't always go for aliens and outer space books, but this one was pretty awesome! I am working on the next books in the series, and hope they're as fun to read as this one.

The main characters are essentially star-crossed lovers who almost lose everything because of jealousy and time-travel. Love triumphs! Always! ( )
  lorikitty | Aug 4, 2017 |
A prince outcast from his planet and secretly hiding away on earth has his aircraft shot down over a lake and meets a human. To save the information in his head from being discovered by other humans or lost if he dies, he bonds with her and transplants everything into her. As a result he comes back for her and takes her to his lair. Turns out she's his mate and after having their memories wiped have no recollection of there love until the bonding. They instantly fall back in love only to have her kidnapped by a man from the future. This book is very confusing and has a lot of elements going on. The author has to spend the entire first have explaining Jarod's world and how he's actually 2 men in one and cane take on different forms. The hero, although he's a king insist very commanding. He doesn't have the air about him that says royalty or even leader. He's sort of a wimp who whispers Shakespeare into his love's ear when they cement their joining before the fire. It was nice in certain parts but way too mushy for me. God if the heroine wasn't kidnapped the whole plot would have been then freaking in the tub. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Well, could not finish. Premise showed promise; characters only sounded good on back of the book. Not much dimension to the characters and main ones of course instantly in lust and heroine instantly accepting of all the alien stuff ... bits and pieces of possible alien culture made me keep thinking maybe might get interesting but just could not get into. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Action packed love story between and alien and a human. Kept me glued. ( )
  JoAnnSmithAinsworth | May 8, 2009 |
"Green is the new red." I read that after I read this book, but damn, I hope it's true. I love, love, love the combination of science fiction and romance. In fact, it's that combination that got me started reading romance in the first place, even though it's been distressingly rare--at least up until now.

I had no idea what to expect from Parallel Attraction when I started reading it, other than that it was paranormal romance, but I was hooked from the first sentence of the prologue: "It wasn't every day you managed to lose your king while on a security mission to an alien planet." More reinforcement for never reading back cover copy--I'd have missed out on that lovely jolt of excitement.

"Jared Bennett" is an exiled king directing his rebellion from a hidden base on Earth. The result of that initial sentence was that the teenaged king meets a human girl, Kelsey Wells, and spends time with her, connecting on several levels, until his advisors catch up to him and wipe both their memories. Fast-forward several years, and Jared crashes near a geologist's camp. He's injured, and is saved by Kelsey, now a geologist. In the process, he transfers secret information to her brain--a secure hiding place, as long as no one suspects where it is.

There are several things going on--the information in Kelsey's head is key to winning the war, and Jared knows he has to retrieve it and remove her from his life, both to protect the information and to keep the Refarians' existence a secret from humans. Then too, as king, Jared's under pressure to provide an heir, preferably with his cousin, so as to preserve his rare, dual-form bloodline. Logic and duty both demand that he sever ties with Kelsey, but their connection and their growing love for each other are impossible to deny.

For her part, Kelsey is surprised but not alarmed by the alien revelations, and instinctively knows she's safe with Jared. The more time she spends with him, the more strongly she feels.

Until she's kidnapped by a time-traveler.

It's hard to know where to draw the line on describing the plot--usually, just explaining the first quarter or so of the story will give a good idea of what's going on, but this one takes a sharp turn in the middle. Parallel Attraction is not a straightforward ride. It's one of those rollercoasters that dip and loop and swerve and don't let you relax for a second.

The characters felt very real to me--Jared's self-sacrifice and inherent nobility; Kelsey's intelligence and courage. I particularly appreciated Kelsey's reaction to learning Jared's secrets--in less deft hands, it would have degenerated into one of those pointless conflicts about trust that irritate me so much but are distressingly common. She's a geologist--a scientist--and she's as intelligent and independent as that implies.

Likewise, the science fiction details felt real. Granted, I never figured out exactly what the "mitres" were, but I didn't need to. I could believe that they were important because of the context, and that was all I needed. The time travel was just a fun bonus. I've always loved the paradoxical nature of time travel, and the things that changed--and didn't--as a result of it were enough to feed my inner puzzle-lover.

There were only a couple of things that kept this from being a perfect read for me: the pre-prologue, which had my attention wandering. It was important information, but I'd have preferred learning it in a different way. And I wondered what happened to Kelsey's partner, and why she didn't wonder about him herself. Of course, I was so caught up in the story that I didn't remember him until after I'd finished the book, either, so that's not a very big complaint. The prologue itself, by the way, felt absolutely necessary. It's one of those rare times when we could have learned the information in bits and pieces in the "now" of the story, but the impact would have been lost.

All in all, I'm very glad I read this, and I'm even happier that Parallel Heat is waiting on my TBR pile. ( )
  Darla | Nov 28, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218116, Mass Market Paperback)

Exiled alien king Jared Bennett is fighting for his people's freedom. Now his rebel force has the one weapon that can turn the tide against their enemy: the key to the secrets of time. With victory at hand, only one human, Kelsey Wells, has the power to change everything. Kelsey is unable to deny the fierce attraction to Jared Bennett, but is unaware of the truth: although Jared is exactly what he says, he hasn't told her everything. And when the future crashes into the present, Kelsey must decide if his deception will cost them the love that should have been their destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:09 -0400)

Exiled alien king Jared Bennett discovers the secrets of time during his travels--secrets which could destroy his enemy. But when he finds himself powerfully drawn to Kelsey Wells, his past and present collide and their new found love is put to the test.… (more)

Deidre Knight is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Deidre Knight chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,119,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible