The Daily Five by Gail Boushey

The Daily Five (2006)

by Gail Boushey, Joan Moser

Ahh, can not say I am one hundred percent sold on the idea. Maybe after I get into my own classroom I may feel differently. I like the way they made their students feel independent, I liked the way they modeled everything that was expected of the students, but I am not sure I want to do this program when I first start teaching. Maybe I will.. Its too soon. ( )
  ronicadibartolo | Nov 11, 2013 |
A great resource. Keeps the students engaged and provides the needed practice they need. ( )
  sheilasquire | Sep 17, 2013 |
Do you love teaching but feel exhausted from the energy you expend cajoling, disciplining, and directing students on a daily basis? If so, you'll want to meet “The Sisters”, Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. Based on literacy learning and motivation research, they created a structure called The Daily Five which has been practiced and refined in their own classrooms for ten years, and shared with thousands of teachers throughout the United States. The Daily Five is a series of literacy tasks (reading to self, reading with someone, writing, word work, and listening to reading) which students complete daily while the teacher meets with small groups or confers with individuals.

Melanie1 | Jun 21, 2011 |
Even though I teach middle school and this book is focused on primary grades, it has given me a lot of ideas that I have been able to use in my sixth grade class! ( )
  elissajanine | Nov 6, 2010 |
I picked this up over a year ago based on word of mouth. I read it once and took a tepid liking to it. I talked it up with others, reread it, and warmed up enough to give it a go in my classroom. WOW! Call me a convert. I currently teach 4th grade and after using this "process" in my classroom this past year I am a believer. This way of "doing" reading is well researched, easy to understand, and can be modified easily. This is more kid based than teacher based, so if you want to sit behind your desk and grade worksheets stay away. If you want to make a drastic, amazing difference in reading ability and interest, however, grab this one!!!
And if you get the chance to attend a workshop with "the sisters" take the opportunity. You won't be sorry you did! ( )
1 vote schwager | Aug 10, 2009 |

Gail Bousheyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, Joanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Daily Five is a series of literacy tasks (reading to self, reading with someone, writing, word work, and listening to reading) which students complete daily while the teacher meets with small groups or confers with individuals. This book not only explains the philosophy behind the structure, but shows you how to carefully and systematically train your students to participate in each of the five components. Explicit modeling practice, reflecting and refining take place during the launching phase, preparing the foundation for a year of meaningful content instruction tailored to meet the needs of each child. The Daily Five is more than a management system or a curriculum framework; it is a structure that will help students develop the habits that lead to a lifetime of independent literacy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible