Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll by…

Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll

by Lewis Carroll

Other authors: Edward Mendelson (Editor)

Series: Poetry for Young People

Summary:
This is a collection of poems by Lewis Carroll, not only the poems but the history and the background of the poems. Some of his poems he wrote as a young man and some of the poems. Many of these poems we have heard when we were younger such as Tweedledeum and Tweedledee, Humpty Dumpty’s Song. Carroll is a very funny and unpredictable person and his poems reflect that.

Personal Review:
I enjoyed this book, I loved reading the poems and remembering back to my childhood. I really enjoyed the introduction in the beginning of the book that gave some background into the book. I really liked that each poem had background information and explained when it was written his inspiration for writing the poem.

Classroom Extension:
1. This would be a great book to introduce poetry to the class, and have a class discussion about poetry.
2. Magnetic Poetry, put students in small groups giving each group a cookie sheet and magnetic words. Have each group use the words to make their own poems.
  coralea | Apr 28, 2017 |
Poetry for all ages, young and old. Lewis Carroll makes fun of other serious poets in some of these poems. He also wrote many poetic nonsensical poems for Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass.This is a collection of Mr. Carroll's famous poems. ( )
  1derlys | Jun 7, 2013 |
Poetry for Young People is a series of short poems written by Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland, and edited by Edward Mendelson.

This book is a collection of poems for children that have been written by Lewis Carroll. Some of the poems, such as How Doth the Little Crocodile, make fun of earlier poems written as serious poems instructing children how to behave. Other poems in this book, such as The White Rabbit’s Evidence, are taken from novels the author has written for children.

I thought that most of the poems themselves were quite entertaining. One poem in particular, Father William, made me laugh out loud.

Although I enjoyed the poems, I did not like how this book was edited. There are a few sentences at the beginning of each poem explaining what the poem is about, and I found that this detracted from the poem itself. I know for myself that if I like a poem, I like it for itself, and explaining what is going on in a particular poem takes away from the enjoyment I get at just reading and interpreting it myself.

I like Lewis Carroll’s poems, but I would not recommend this book of his poems in particular. I would find a book that has been not so heavily edited. ( )
  BaschukR | Nov 11, 2011 |
Collection of poems with brief explanations of their sources and what they are based on; also definitions of "hard" words. Interesting selection nicely illustrated. I enjoyed "Brother and Sister," in which a brother wants to make an Irish stew with his sister as the main ingredient. ( )
  raizel | Jan 8, 2010 |
I enjoyed how the Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll (edited by Edward Mendelson and illustrated by Eric Copeland) volume included background information about each poem so I knew who and what Carroll was mocking. Because I was not familiar with some of the contemporary poets and styles that Carroll mocked, I was disappointed that the poems weren’t as ridiculous as they could have been.

And yet, the nonsense of poems like “Jabberwocky” and “Father William” are still fun for children today. I enjoyed rereading Lewis Carroll’s poetry, and the illustrations in this particular volume were bright and appropriately fantastic. Many of the poems are from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, which I also enjoy.
  rebeccareid | May 2, 2009 |

Carroll, Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelson, EdwardEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Copeland, EricIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An illustrated collection of twenty-six popular poems by Lewis Carroll. Includes an introduction about the poet's life and work.

Legacy Library: Lewis Carroll

Lewis Carroll has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lewis Carroll's legacy profile.

See Lewis Carroll's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,082,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible