dismiss

Treason's Shore

by Sherwood Smith

Other authors: Matt Stawicki (Cover artist)

Series: Inda (4), Sartorias-deles (4)

2321283,038 (4)23
Fourth in an intense fascinating epica* of high action and fantasy adventure. Inda, fresh from his triumph on the battlefield against the Venn, takes his place beside King Evred as Harskialdna, the Kingas Shield. But the Venn are far from defeated and only Indaas fame is strong enough to inspire all the squabbling kingdoms to unite and raise a force mighty enough to protect the strait and repel the enemy. Evred has also ordered Inda to take over the strait once the battle is won, but Inda, a former pirate, knows that this is a very bad idea. Now Inda must choose between obeying his liegeaor committing treason.… (more)

The fourth and final book in the Inda series, and it's a doozie. (I have no idea how to spell that last word but spell check is accepting it!) The northern Venn (related to our Marlovans--who split of centuries ago), as warlike (if not even more warlike) as Marlovans have decided to make winning the control of the seas as their next move to conquer all the land south of their cold and rocky kingdom. Inside the Venn there are factions. The chief mage (dag) wants to use magic for offensive purposes which is strictly forbidden. Others believe this will bring ruin upon them and work in secret to overthrow him. Meanwhile the Venn move on the southern ports and Inda is called back to the sea as the Commander of all the fleets. As with book 2 the sea passages are very strong and engaging. The plot too, the tensions between Evred the king and Inda come to a head in an original dilemma, the seeds of which were planted long ago and have been steadily nourished all along. Really well done. When you read a series that is around 2800 pages it can be hard to say goodbye! **** ( )
  sibylline | Jul 5, 2020 |
Inda #4 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
Feeling a bit flat, having followed Inda from 10 years old to mid-twenties. Lots of things to say; will have to come back later & hope I remember them all

ETA: At the end it felt a bit like, after the intensity and build up of the first three books and even this one, 'they had a war and then they all went home'. Though she does go forward in time to add to a couple of the characters' stories.
  humouress | Apr 2, 2018 |
(40) I adored this series. I thought this finale lived up to the series which is often so rare with these intricate other worlds. It's like the authors just can't let them go and drag it out (yes, I am thinking of you 'Game of Thrones' and 'Outlander') This was a dignified and Hollywood ending. India takes to the sea again as Harskialdna to drive off the Venn for good and establish world peace - in the name of the Marlovans. The beginning of the book establishes Inda and Tdor's life in the royal city, and tells of the harrowing fate of Dag Signi, and there is a lot of Venn and Fox Banner Fleet narrative which tended to drag a bit. But then the allies of the other Kingdoms come to Iasca Leror to bring the fabled Inda back to the sea as the Venn have amassed an unbeatable fleet to establish world dominance. And then the story takes off.

While I won't ruin the end, it was satisfying with most loose ends wrapped up - at least in terms of the Marlovans. I could think of more ironic endings and/or could certainly have seen the author spinning it out another generation or so. I mean are we really sure that Fox bought the 'no more war' promise. His departure at the end surely could have suggested a sequel. But as I mentioned above - I respect this author for letting the series come to an end. And for truly keeping me entertained this summer. Great story-telling, attention to detail, creativity, character-building and I loved that it was gender non-conforming so unaffectedly and without making that the 'moral' of the story. Refreshing.

This series surpassed my expectations and cheekily taught me not to judge a book by its cover. I am discovering fantasy . . . ( )
  jhowell | Sep 10, 2017 |
Really good conclusion to a wonderful series. Very believable world with good character development. Sorry to see the story of Inda, Tdor and all their friends, family and enemies end. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |

Sherwood Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Inda (4)

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,898,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible