Treason's Shore by Sherwood Smith

Treason's Shore (edition 2010)

by Sherwood Smith (Author)

2191079,115 (3.95)21
Member:jeidai
Title:Treason's Shore
Authors:Sherwood Smith (Author)
Info:Daw Books 2010-10-05 (2010), 770 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy

Treason's Shore by Sherwood Smith

Feeling a bit flat, having followed Inda from 10 years old to mid-twenties. Lots of things to say; will have to come back later & hope I remember them all

ETA: At the end it felt a bit like, after the intensity and build up of the first three books and even this one, 'they had a war and then they all went home'. Though she does go forward in time to add to a couple of the characters' stories.
  humouress | Apr 2, 2018 |
(40) I adored this series. I thought this finale lived up to the series which is often so rare with these intricate other worlds. It's like the authors just can't let them go and drag it out (yes, I am thinking of you 'Game of Thrones' and 'Outlander') This was a dignified and Hollywood ending. India takes to the sea again as Harskialdna to drive off the Venn for good and establish world peace - in the name of the Marlovans. The beginning of the book establishes Inda and Tdor's life in the royal city, and tells of the harrowing fate of Dag Signi, and there is a lot of Venn and Fox Banner Fleet narrative which tended to drag a bit. But then the allies of the other Kingdoms come to Iasca Leror to bring the fabled Inda back to the sea as the Venn have amassed an unbeatable fleet to establish world dominance. And then the story takes off.

While I won't ruin the end, it was satisfying with most loose ends wrapped up - at least in terms of the Marlovans. I could think of more ironic endings and/or could certainly have seen the author spinning it out another generation or so. I mean are we really sure that Fox bought the 'no more war' promise. His departure at the end surely could have suggested a sequel. But as I mentioned above - I respect this author for letting the series come to an end. And for truly keeping me entertained this summer. Great story-telling, attention to detail, creativity, character-building and I loved that it was gender non-conforming so unaffectedly and without making that the 'moral' of the story. Refreshing.

This series surpassed my expectations and cheekily taught me not to judge a book by its cover. I am discovering fantasy . . . ( )
  jhowell | Sep 10, 2017 |
Really good conclusion to a wonderful series. Very believable world with good character development. Sorry to see the story of Inda, Tdor and all their friends, family and enemies end. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
The last of the Inda series. Years ago, Inda was exiled from his homeland and made a new life for himself as the infamous pirate Elgar the Fox. But when he heard of his former home's invasion by the Venn, he returned. The Venn were turned back, but not for long. They, and their mind-controlled king, are going a'viking once more. And once again, only Inda can stop them.

I feel conflicted about this book. On the one hand, Smith continues to split up her narrative far more than she needs to. Constantly switching from one person to the next stalls the narrative tension. On the other, it's a gutsy move to spend more than half of the final volume of a series on the POVs of the main characters' enemies. And Smith has more than enough tension to go around: unrequited love, mind control, magicians double-crossing each other constantly, internecine court drama, pirate battles, training a new generation, ambushes, affairs, reinforcing the infrastructure of a kingdom, breaking down gender barriers, naval battles...There's no derth of plot. Astoundingly, there's still plenty of characterization, of both old characters and new. Inda is more damaged and oblivious than in previous volumes, which annoyed me but felt believable, given what he's gone through. And the new characters are fantastic: I particularly loved the viking captain's hawk-nosed wife.

Smith showcases both the uses and the limits of diplomacy. Her battle scenes are chaotic but understandable. The domestic lives she imagined for her characters helps keep the narrative grounded and believable. And the world building is just top notch.

I think these books would reward rereading--Smith has so much story to tell that I'm sure I missed out on plot points, moments of characterization, and world-building as I raced through. I'm glad I read this series; I just wish there was more!

ETA: These books really deserve at least 4 stars for their depth and complexity, and all the thought that was put into the characters and their world. But I generally only give 4 stars to books that I enjoyed in a very particular, id-satisfying way. So although they're far more interesting than the vast majority of fantasy, I just don't feel right bumping the rating up. But I want to make it very clear that I whole-heartedly recommend these books to anyone interested in a novel take on fantasy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Amazon preorder,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Sherwood Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Fourth in "an intense fascinating epic"* of high action and fantasy adventure.

Inda, fresh from his triumph on the battlefield against the Venn, takes his place beside King Evred as Harskialdna, the King's Shield. But the Venn are far from defeated and only Inda's fame is strong enough to inspire all the squabbling kingdoms to unite and raise a force mighty enough to protect the strait and repel the enemy. Evred has also ordered Inda to take over the strait once the battle is won, but Inda, a former pirate, knows that this is a very bad idea. Now Inda must choose between obeying his liege-or committing treason.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:12 -0400)

Fourth in an intense fascinating epica* of high action and fantasy adventure. Inda, fresh from his triumph on the battlefield against the Venn, takes his place beside King Evred as Harskialdna, the Kingas Shield. But the Venn are far from defeated and only Indaas fame is strong enough to inspire all the squabbling kingdoms to unite and raise a force mighty enough to protect the strait and repel the enemy. Evred has also ordered Inda to take over the strait once the battle is won, but Inda, a former pirate, knows that this is a very bad idea. Now Inda must choose between obeying his liegeaor committing treason.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,114,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible