Quotidian by Gudrun Cable

Quotidian (1989)

by Gudrun Cable

Gosh, I was shocked to see that there are 11 other people who have this book!

This is not so much a reading book as it is a reference book, a collection of "thoughts for the day." What makes the book interesting is the author, and if you have this book, it's likely you know her.

Gudrun Cable (Goody to all who know her) is a perfectly indescribable middle-aged woman who may very well fit the definition of the most interesting character I have ever met. She is right out of a novel, though I don't know which one.

Goody runs the Sylvia Beach Hotel, an enthralling escape for book-lovers, located on the windy shore of Nye Beach in Newport, Oregon. The 22 rooms are named for authors and decorated to match their namesakes. The top floor is the Library, devoted to reading in a quiet, scenic room where you can hear the surf in the background. And when the dinnerbell rings, you will join other guests in a family-style repast that will astonish your taste buds while providing you with an enjoyable opportunity to meet new and interesting people from all over the world.

No true booklover should miss the chance to stay here for a few days or a few weeks. Indeed, you simply must create the opportunity to see it!

(Note: My copy of the book bears the title "Quotidian II" and, as Goody told me, it is the second collection of quotes that she has published.) ( )
  mmcgown | Dec 18, 2010 |
For my parents, Willard C. Johnson and Anne Michalov Johnson
Everything that happened that night needed to happen. Somehow, I was along in the Library of the hotel. It was very late, probably close to 2:30 a.m. The hotel guests were all in their rooms, the lights were off, even the night clerk was asleep, bent over the registration desk with his head resting on a volume of Moby Dick.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible