A Little Bush Maid by Mary Grant Bruce

A Little Bush Maid (1910)

by Mary Grant Bruce

1191101,247 (3.69)1

I'd never heard of Mary Grant Bruce or the Billabong series until one day my grandmother started talking about the books she read as a child, some 70 years ago now. For all I knew she was making it all up because I had never heard or seen of it anywhere...until I stumbled across the first book A Little Bush Maid in a secondhand bookstore. I bought it immediately, and sat down to see what the fuss was about.

Of course, I loved it. How could I not? It's Australia, it's the bush, it's history (though fiction I believe this portrays an accurate picture of rural Australia at the time), it's a plucky little heroine who you can't help but love and a whole other cast of characters. I can see why my grandmother loved this as a child and I only wish I, too, had discovered them at a younger age (being now about 10 years above the target age).

Many who read these books today may be shocked by some of the terms and behaviour used by even the children toward the Aboriginal stable boy. I think it is important to realise, while we should in no way encourage this behaviour, we also shouldn't try to cover up that part of history. That was the way life was in the 1900s and is clearly very different to life in 2010s. Just to put my two cents in, I see no reason to politically correct any novels, including the Billabong series and also Enid Blyton books, which I believe have been 'edited'. I think that adults shouldn't be so shocked that those attitudes did once exist, and I also think that children who read the books should have an understanding of how life used to be different and why it's not like that anymore.

But I digress! This book is wonderful and I look forward to scrounging around a few more secondhand bookstores to get my paws on the rest! ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 10, 2014 |
Norah's home was on a big station in the north of Victoria - so large that you could almost, in her own phrase, "ride all day and never see any one you didn't want to see"; which was a great advantage in Norah's eyes.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0207175098, Paperback)

This is one of a series of books set in the Australian bush, recounting the adventures of the Linton family living on a station called "Billabong". The saga stretches from 1910 to 1942, with the tumult of the period reflected in these incident-packed books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:58 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,096,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible