All Summer Long: A Novel by Bob Greene

All Summer Long: A Novel

by Bob Greene

Three middle-aged men, friends since high school in Ohio, tour the country in an idyllic summer. Occasionally they are joined by women (not always the men's wives), which kind of ruins the bonding. Dripping with nostalgia. ( )
  ennie | Oct 12, 2008 |
I found this book difficult to finish. Maybe if I was a male in my 40s I might have appreciated it more. But being a woman and married, I didn't really appreciate all of the infidelity. This book seemed to be more about self indulgence than friendship. ( )
  su_library_student | Feb 17, 2008 |
Bob Greene's first novel, a marvelous impulsive summer journey across America by three men, best friends since high school. I suspect it is largely autobiographical, and is written in the same plain and straight style Greene uses for his columns. The journey is a magical rediscovery of self and America, and has inspired me to plan a similar trip with Bruce Barth (Ronnie in the book) and Bob Rudolph (Michael) when we turn 50. I, of course, am the Bob Greene character, Ben. I hope our trip, a proposed week in Chicago, will have something of the resonance that occurs in their journey. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 24, 2007 |
A bittersweet road-trip book about three fortyish men taking a summer off to spend time together like they did as kids. They each discover things about themselves, and each other, and ultimately have to make some choices about their lives after the summer ends. An interesting concept, I almost wish I could just take off with friends for three months to drive around and see the sights. ( )
  sarradee | Dec 20, 2006 |

At their 25th high school reunion, three old friends come up with the idea to hit the road for one more mellow, footloose summer in the sun. And so Ben, a divorced TV journalist, Ronnie, a high-powered CEO, and Michael, a high school English teacher, take leave of their families and jobs for a cross-country road trip to remember. Along the way, they see baseball games, state fairs, Elvis's Las Vegas hotel suite, and a convention of dental hygienists, and not only experience all of America in full bloom, but discover new truths about themselves. All Summer Long is a wise, funny, touching story you'll slurp down like a cold milkshake from the drive-in.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:21 -0400)

For twenty years Bob Greene has been recognized as one of the few writers who brings to journalist the grasp of character, the feeling for time and place, the eye for telling detail, and the emotional intensity found in the work of the best novelists. So it's not surprising that his first novel, All Summer Long, is extraordinarily powerful and irresistibly engaging, glowing with Greene's distinctive blend of warmth, humor, and wisdom. The premise of All Summer Long is simple and immediately seductive: three men, best friends when they were boys - Ben, now a prominent television journalist; Ronnie, a wheeling-and-dealing CEO; and Michael, a schoolteacher - meet again at their twenty-fifth high school reunion, and realize that the most cherished times of their lives happened in the summers of their youth: the summers of the closest friendships, the most rhapsodic loves, the most exuberant days and nights of all. They decide to put their careers and families on hold, and to give themselves something priceless - one more summer in the sun. All Summer Long is the story of their marvelous, once-in-a-lifetime trip around the country: their joys, their discoveries, their crises of conscience - and of the heart - in milieus as diverse as the Cubs' clubhouse in Chicago's Wrigley Field, a state fair in Ohio, Elvis Presley's old suite atop the Las Vegas Hilton, a long-ago girlfriend's birthday party in suburban Missouri, a movie sneak preview at a Southern California mall, a convention of dental hygienists in Atlanta. Hilarious and heart-breaking, innocent and knowing, romantic and unsentimental, All Summer Long will carry you along on the trip, as it opens your eyes anew to life's promise and hope, to the breathtaking variety of the American pageant - and to the enduring power of friendship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,200,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible