Death's Daughter by Amber Benson

Death's Daughter

by Amber Benson

Death's Daughter is about Calliope Reaper-Jones, a 24 year old girl working as an assistant living in New York City. She is a perfectly normal girl except for the fact that she's Death's daughter. specifically her father is the CEO of Death and when he, Callie's older sister, Thalia, and all of the members of the executive board get kidnapped, Callie must step up to the plate to not only save them but to also take over as Death.

Callie is joined by Jarvis, her father's faun executive assistant, Runt, one of Cerebus' pups, Clio, Callie's younger sister, and the mysterious Daniel, who is the self-proclaimed devil's protege. Callie will have to go through hell and back, completing the three tasks that must be done in order to wear the crown of Death, clear her good name, and save her family.

I thought this book would be better. I liked the character, Callie, in the short story that was in An Apple for the Creature. In that, she was smart and highly capable. In Death's Daughter, she was very immature, whiny, incredibly selfish, and dumb. All the time I was reading, I was thinking too myself: "why should I care about her?" I get that she was not a hero but she didn't invoke any empathy from me.

Why was she so sex starved? I get being attracted to men but it was literally every guy she wanted to molest. WTF? It grew very tiresome very fast. Callie had no redeeming qualities about her and, with exception of Jarvis, Kali, and Runt, all of the characters were annoying especially Daniel. What was his point?

Callie's character was self-aware which was supposed to be endearing but it became fustrating because she knew that she knew better. I think Benson might have been influenced by her Buffy days to create a character like Buffy season one: very pretty, not to academically smart but noble. But Buffy was 16 and Callie is 24. In my opinion, Callie lacked Buffy's heart.

Be that as it may, I still have hope for Callie, still judging from the short story, that she grows up and becomes more responsible. Hopefully, the whininess and the sex craze will stop in the other books. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Death’s Daughter is the first novel in the Calliope Reaper-Jones Series.

Plot:
Calliope seems to be just a normal New York girl: she works as an assistant in a rather unexciting office, dreaming of a career in fashion. But then Javier the faun shows up at her office and confronts her with her past and her family. As the forgetting spell Calliope put herself under is lifted, she starts to remember that she’s not actually all that normal: her father is Death himself. But as Javier tells her, her father is also missing. So Callie has to return to take over the family business and save her dad.

Rarely have I hated a character as much as I hated Callie. And yet I somehow couldn’t bring myself to put the book down and not finish it and I’m even thinking about continuing the series.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/deaths-daughter-amber-benson/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 12, 2013 |
Ack, not the first person perspective for me. I think the narrator and I have too much in common, stream of consciousness-wise, as her voice annoys the heck out of me.
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
For the two special men in my life: Dad and Adam
My name is Calliope Reaper-Jones, and I think I'm losing my mind.

Calliope Reaper-Jones so just wanted a normal life: buying designer shoes on sale, dating guys from Craig’s List, web-surfing for organic dim-sum for her boss. But when her father - who happens to be Death himself - is kidnapped, and the Devil’s Protege embarks on a hostile takeover of the family business, Death, Inc., Callie returns home to assume the CEO mantle - only to discover she must complete three nearly impossible tasks in the realm of the afterlife first.

"For the last few years I'd been in a state of bliss--living under a self-imposed Forgetting Charm, because I so did not want to go into the family business. What I wanted was a glamorous career in New York City and the opportunity for a normal life--buying designer shoes on sale, dating guys from craigslist, Web surfing for organic dim sum for my boss. And then my father's Executive Assistant, a faun named Jarvis, showed up to tell me that my dad had been kidnapped. Good-bye, Forgetting Charm. Hello, (unwanted) responsibility."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible