Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:asquonk
Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 272 pages

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Both Starship Troopers and All You Need Is Kill have the same intensity, with brief periods of strong violence during a quest for sense.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.

English (110)  French (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
Less than ten pages in and we're already taking a potshot at female drivers? WOW.

I wish fate had bestowed Heinlein's knack for breezy writing and clever one-liners upon someone who understands the virtues of characterization and/or isn't a sexist ass. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |

ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
I can't remember why I got this particular book at this particular time from the library. I think I needed some short books because my second daughter was about to born and I didn't want to get into anything epic or long that I might forget about in case I couldn't read it for two weeks. So YA would work. Also, I think I needed to get it quickly and this was on the shelf.

This was not the novel I expected it to be. It's minimal on the action, minimal on the science fiction. It's a lot more like A) essays on militarism and citizenship and B) the story of a man's military career, which doesn't include much combat. There's not much science fiction stuff here, at least nothing plot-centric. It's more on the periphery, with the space stuff, aliens, and some military tech. You could take that out and easily make it a literary novel.

I can definitely see where John Scalzi got his inspiration for "Old Man's War" from this novel. It's fun to have read that and then read this. There were definitely times I thought "This is not a novel, this is a bunch of ranting" and "This would have a hard time getting published today, because of all the parts where the plot doesn't move". Not that that matters, I'm sure these were the reasons it became popular. I recommend "Old Man's War" first. Then if you liked that, read this. It's like seeing the special features for "Old Man's War". ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 13, 2013 |
When I watched Starship Troopers for the first time, I could not get over Denise Richard's nose...or Casper van Dien's rather lousy acting abilities. The only thing that actually made the movie awesome was NPH, just back then he was "that Dougie Howser dude" to me, but all in all the reason I kept watching the movie a couple of times. I'm a fangirl...what can I say, I fangirl hard!

Anyway, when I first got to read Starship Troopers I was rather surprised that movie and book have nearly nothing in common. Sure, the names are the same, the bugs and the war, but that's about it. And if you keep both separated from each other, not comparing them, there's a chance you might like both.

It was the first Heinlein book I had read, and just re-reading it now I've come to appreciate some things I did not quite like during my first read, which was about 15 years ago.

There is no action in this book but a lot of things to think about. Heinlein used his books to not only raise questions but also to give voice to his own thoughts and morals. Endless tirades about how spanking a child to raise it is the only way for it to become a good citizen? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? ...

It is just like him.

This book is a philosophical take on war, being a soldier, and society. It makes you appreciate more the things soldiers go through, put up with, give up, gain. It shows you why they feel pride.

At the same time it is a swipe at modern society. Some of Heinlein's views might be outdated, but seeing that this book was written in the 1950s, his prediction of what was the downfall of many modern cultures seems to become more and more accurate. He puts the responsibility of upbringing and educating a child solely on parents or a guardian; accuses people have shouted for rights while neglecting their duty; defines the role of citizens within their own society; all things that - if you look at today's problems with younger generations - are relevant today.

This book is one of the must-reads for everyone who likes controversy; who likes to ask questions; who likes to think. It isn't boring. It is quite interesting. And it certainly gets your brain going. ( )
  J4N3 | Sep 23, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, Gordon C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To "Sarge" Arthur George Smith - SOLDIER, CITIZEN, SCIENTIST - AND TO ALL SERGEANTS ANYWHERE WHO HAVE LABORED TO MAKE MEN OUT OF BOYS. R.A.H.
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441783589, Mass Market Paperback)

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Service on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he will learn how to become a soldier, but when he graduates and war comes (as it always does for soldiers), he will learn why he is a soldier. Many consider this Hugo Award winner to be Robert Heinlein's finest work, and with good reason. Forget the battle scenes and high-tech weapons (though this novel has them)--this is Heinlein at the top of his game talking people and politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:22 -0400)

With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible