Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:asquonk
Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 272 pages

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Both Starship Troopers and All You Need Is Kill have the same intensity, with brief periods of strong violence during a quest for sense.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.

English (111)  French (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (116)
The question that I kept asking myself as I was reading this was "How have I managed to NOT read any Heinlein until now?"

I think that the best way that I can review this book is to keep things short and sweet. To be blunt, I loved Starship Troopers. I enjoyed the characters, the storyline, the pacing and the prose. Everything about this book was fun and entertaining.

The best way that I can describe it is Full Metal Jacket in space. For the most part, that film follows along the same basic plot lines of this book. The first portion of the book concerns itself with the experiences of the main character as he proceeds through military training. The second portion follows his experiences as he moves on to active duty entering a war that has been going on for quite some time.

Overall, a very entertaining read that comes from an author who had a tremendous influence on the science fiction genre and set the tone for many other authors and film makers. ( )
  StefanY | Sep 12, 2014 |
Less than ten pages in and we're already taking a potshot at female drivers? WOW.

I wish fate had bestowed Heinlein's knack for breezy writing and clever one-liners upon someone who understands the virtues of characterization and/or isn't a sexist ass. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |

ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
I can't remember why I got this particular book at this particular time from the library. I think I needed some short books because my second daughter was about to born and I didn't want to get into anything epic or long that I might forget about in case I couldn't read it for two weeks. So YA would work. Also, I think I needed to get it quickly and this was on the shelf.

This was not the novel I expected it to be. It's minimal on the action, minimal on the science fiction. It's a lot more like A) essays on militarism and citizenship and B) the story of a man's military career, which doesn't include much combat. There's not much science fiction stuff here, at least nothing plot-centric. It's more on the periphery, with the space stuff, aliens, and some military tech. You could take that out and easily make it a literary novel.

I can definitely see where John Scalzi got his inspiration for "Old Man's War" from this novel. It's fun to have read that and then read this. There were definitely times I thought "This is not a novel, this is a bunch of ranting" and "This would have a hard time getting published today, because of all the parts where the plot doesn't move". Not that that matters, I'm sure these were the reasons it became popular. I recommend "Old Man's War" first. Then if you liked that, read this. It's like seeing the special features for "Old Man's War". ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 13, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, Gordon C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To "Sarge" Arthur George Smith - SOLDIER, CITIZEN, SCIENTIST - AND TO ALL SERGEANTS ANYWHERE WHO HAVE LABORED TO MAKE MEN OUT OF BOYS. R.A.H.
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441783589, Mass Market Paperback)

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Service on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he will learn how to become a soldier, but when he graduates and war comes (as it always does for soldiers), he will learn why he is a soldier. Many consider this Hugo Award winner to be Robert Heinlein's finest work, and with good reason. Forget the battle scenes and high-tech weapons (though this novel has them)--this is Heinlein at the top of his game talking people and politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:22 -0400)

With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible