Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:jamiethehutt
Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 263 pages

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Starship Troopers et All You Need Is Kill ont tous les deux la même intensité, avec de brèves périodes de forte violence pour une quête de la recherche du sens.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des soldats dans l’espace. Des extraterrestres. Des armures de combat. Vélocité. Fatal.
    War Stories: New Military Science Fiction by Jaym Gates (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des instantanés de guerre, avec des super soldats humains et des technologies déshumanisantes… ou est-ce l’inverse ? Bonus : des extra-terrestres.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Interesting thought on the military and their responsibilities in a space travelling society.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)

English (128)  French (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (134)
Sooo much better than the movie—deeper than Hollywood have you believe. But with the exception of the fact that it's set in futuristic space I'd almost call this Military Fiction instead of Science Fiction. In fact, in my mind I've renamed it Heinlein's Loving Homage to the Infantry. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
The rather sexist Heinlein was also something of Hawk when it came to war. The book, much better than the extant movie, is still a fun read. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Nothing even close to the movie that was made by the same name. Don't buy it thinking it is. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
I'm not much into science fiction, but this was a fun read. I've read about some of the fuss with this one, but why would a futuristic sci-fi yarn not make a chronological snobbish point. Doesn't every generation think it knows best. Not much of a plot, as far as normal plot goes, but Johhnie does mature, does change, however slightly. I thought it odd that Heinlein never went back to the relationship with his dad on the Rodger Younge. Overall, not a bad book if one can get through all the technical language.
I did enjoy the thinking parts about what makes a good society, what makes for a good voter, what makes for good discipline. Interesting thoughts and worth discussing. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 22, 2016 |
I started reading sci-fi quite intensively in the 80s (as if my life depended on it) and if you had asked me at the time who my favorite of the Big Three of Science Fiction is I would have said Robert A. Heinlein. He was, I thought, the funniest, the liveliest, the least dry, and basically the most badass of the Three. In recent years have been re-reading a lot of classic sci-fi and my answer today would be different. I would place [a:Isaac Asimov|16667|Isaac Asimov|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1341965730p2/16667.jpg] first then [a:Arthur C. Clarke|7779|Arthur C. Clarke|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1357191481p2/7779.jpg] and Heinlein would be trailing them a little. I may be a little unfair to Heinlein here as recently I have been reading his less well received books from the 80s, [b:Friday|17208|Friday|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1315410828s/17208.jpg|1415529], and the dreadful [b:I Will Fear No Evil|175325|I Will Fear No Evil|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1303411477s/175325.jpg|45662]. Of course I remember very well how much I loved [b:Stranger in a Strange Land|350|Stranger in a Strange Land|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1156897088s/350.jpg|908211], [b:The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress|16690|The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348768309s/16690.jpg|1048525] and [b:The Puppet Masters|7171856|The Puppet Masters|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348052588s/7171856.jpg|2534984] when I read them. The funny thing is I remember loving Starship Troopers too.

Starship Troopers starts off with a bang where the protagonist Juan Rico is about to go on a raid against some aliens called The Skinnies. Scenes of combat, explosions, heroism, and death ensued. On the second chapter the flashback from the beginning of Rico’s military career begins. Most of the novel’s narrative is centered on Rico’s military life. As I am not a fan of military combat scenes I did not feel particularly involved with the first chapter but things really do pick up with the story of Rico’s boot camp experiences. I quite enjoy the “Drill Sergeant Nasty” trope. Where the Drill Sergeant spends all his time cussing and cursing at the trainees and generally making their lives miserable for their own good, and to weed out those who are not tough enough to cope with the rigors of the training. The details of the training, the future military technology and Heinlein’s jaunty, snarky narrative tone and dialogue makes this section of the book fast paced and enjoyable. This is just as well as the boot camp chapters takes up most of the first half of the book. I expect the storyline to become even livelier subsequent to the boot camp, especially as I already knew some insect-like aliens are about to make an appearance.

I was very surprised at how the second half of the book turned out. A long section of this part of the book concerns Rico’s training at the Officer Candidate School. The lecturing scenes are Heinlein at his didactic worst. Even though Heinlein can be very persuasive I was not entirely convinced of the political and philosophical points he is making here. Worse than that, I was a little bored of reading these thinly disguised lectures. It seems to me that the pacing of the novel grinds to a halt at this point and Heinlein has sacrificed the storytelling to espouse his personal views.

The last section of the book where Rico has graduated from the Officer Candidate School and goes on another raid to capture (literally) the brains behind the Bugs operations resumes the storyline and pick up the pacing. Unfortunately by that point the book has already lost my goodwill and I have already stopped caring about how Rico or even the rest of humanity fare. Besides, the ending of the book is inconclusive as far as the Bug War is concerned. This is not at all surprising because, in spite of initial appearances, this is not a sci-fi thriller about Humanity vs. Aliens. The aliens and their war with humanity are merely plot devices to mount Heinlein’s treatise about the value of the military and the necessity of war.

It is not my place to criticize Heinlein's views on these matters as he has clearly thought long and hard about them and I have not, but all his pontifications plays hell with the narrative flow and as a work of fiction Starship Troopers is by and large not a lot of fun to read. “Military science fiction” is hardly my favorite subgenre of sci-fi, but I did find [b:The Forever War|21611|The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)|Joe Haldeman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386852511s/21611.jpg|423] to be more consistently enjoyable and the author’s views more palatable without being overly didactic. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, Gordon C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To "Sarge" Arthur George Smith - SOLDIER, CITIZEN, SCIENTIST - AND TO ALL SERGEANTS ANYWHERE WHO HAVE LABORED TO MAKE MEN OUT OF BOYS. R.A.H.
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."
In one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial best-sellers, a recruit of the future goes through the
toughest boot camp in the Universe--and into battle against mankind's most frightening enemy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441783589, Mass Market Paperback)

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Service on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he will learn how to become a soldier, but when he graduates and war comes (as it always does for soldiers), he will learn why he is a soldier. Many consider this Hugo Award winner to be Robert Heinlein's finest work, and with good reason. Forget the battle scenes and high-tech weapons (though this novel has them)--this is Heinlein at the top of his game talking people and politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible