Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Member:jamiethehutt
Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 263 pages

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Starship Troopers et All You Need Is Kill ont tous les deux la même intensité, avec de brèves périodes de forte violence pour une quête de la recherche du sens.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des soldats dans l’espace. Des extraterrestres. Des armures de combat. Vélocité. Fatal.
    War Stories: New Military Science Fiction by Jaym Gates (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des instantanés de guerre, avec des super soldats humains et des technologies déshumanisantes… ou est-ce l’inverse ? Bonus : des extra-terrestres.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Interesting thought on the military and their responsibilities in a space travelling society.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)

English (135)  French (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (141)
Science fiction fashioned around militaristic ideology. Maybe I'd have liked it better if I had a military background or if someone had mansplained it to me as I read. As it is, meh. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
The story is largely about a young man who joins the mobile infantry. The story covers his life in boot camp and then his officer training. I found the story boring and pointless for most of the time. There are some discussions of philosophy and morality. I do not recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 8, 2016 |
Nothing like the movie. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
This story is about a young boy name Johnny who graduated from school and was going to learn what it took to help run his father’s business. The boy’s father was well off so Johnny had no problem for a future. He had a close friend named Carl who wanted to enlist into the military so Johnny decided he would join too. One day talking with his father and being told of his graduation gift and realizing the soft easy future his father offered him with an attached paid vacation to Mars before he furthered his studies, Johnny had second thoughts. Johnny didn’t know how to tell Carl. He went to the Military office with Carl thinking he could tell him then. One thing led to another and Johnny’s attraction to a young girl who was signing up at the same time changed his mind. He decided to go against his father’s wishes and signed up to be trained as a pilot. The same position the girl applied for. However, when you write what you want to train for doesn’t mean that’s where you’ll end up. When he was told the military places you where and what you’re best qualify for, Johnny wasn’t listening. Both Carl and the young women both qualified for what they wanted but poor Johnny was sent to Camp Arthur Currie for Mobile Infantry training. His thoughts, “I never really intended to join up. And certainly not infantry”. His time in training was more then what he had expected.
I enjoyed reading the book to this point and during the explanations of his different drills and tough training maneuvers he participated in. I thought the flogging was a little to much but figuring on the time this book was written it was appropriate to use.
After the few years of training they were in combat with the bugs. The bugs would bury themselves in tunnel mazes beneath the service of the ground. Their were the workers who did not fight, the warriors who did fight and the queens and brains who were the masters of the bugs. In combat the workers were sent to make openings at the surface and marched out not to fight but to cover the warriors as they maneuvered unnoticed between the workers. The warriors were killed when seen but they also took many of the infantry men down with them or held them as prisoners.
The story goes on relating how Johnny handled the platoon sub-division he was in charge of……
It was a good read. The concepts of Military jargon or understanding were very vivid. I was surprised and intrigued that the Author wrote a “Tour‘s” platoon ( mixed military) into the story. With all the military in my family the Army, Marines and Navy could not agree on specifics values of each individual Service. I highly recommend it to those who like that type of genre.
However, to be honest it was not my type of reading. I read it to the end, enjoyed it but I didn’t lavish over the fantasy, “ Man versus Bugs…… ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Much different in style than the shoot-em-up action movie based on this book. I don't agree with all of Heinlein's ideas but this book is more about ideas than the action. In particular, he explores the idea that citizenship should be a privilege rather than a right, with that privilege earned by proving that one is willing to put the good of the state first (by doing service of various types but in this story specifically military service).

Lloyd James' narration was good but not great. He often paused for a second or two in what seemed to me odd places. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 18, 2016 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, Gordon C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To "Sarge" Arthur George Smith - SOLDIER, CITIZEN, SCIENTIST - AND TO ALL SERGEANTS ANYWHERE WHO HAVE LABORED TO MAKE MEN OUT OF BOYS. R.A.H.
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."

In one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial best-sellers, a recruit of the future goes through the
toughest boot camp in the Universe--and into battle against mankind's most frightening enemy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441783589, Mass Market Paperback)

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Service on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he will learn how to become a soldier, but when he graduates and war comes (as it always does for soldiers), he will learn why he is a soldier. Many consider this Hugo Award winner to be Robert Heinlein's finest work, and with good reason. Forget the battle scenes and high-tech weapons (though this novel has them)--this is Heinlein at the top of his game talking people and politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,245,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible