Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Starship Troopers (original 1959; edition 1987)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Title:Starship Troopers
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Ace (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 263 pages

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (1959)

Recently added byprivate library, eva_s, philnotfil, faxe360, jesshavok, Vikinglitespear, expatlibrarian
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (5hrdrive)
    The forever war by Joe Haldeman (goodiegoodie)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    War Stories: New Military Science Fiction by Jaym Gates (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Des instantanés de guerre, avec des super soldats humains et des technologies déshumanisantes… ou est-ce l’inverse ? Bonus : des extra-terrestres.
    All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Both Starship Troopers and All You Need Is Kill have the same intensity, with brief periods of strong violence during a quest for sense.
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: This book reminded me of Starship Troopers, without the aliens. A fun, quick, military romp with a healthy suspension of disbelief.
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Interesting thought on the military and their responsibilities in a space travelling society.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    Kris Longknife: Mutineer by Mike Shepherd (jlynno84)
    Brothers in Arms by Ben Weaver (infiniteletters)

English (116)  French (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (122)
I started this book by Robert A. Heinlein with reservations. I did not like Stranger in a Strange Land but this one I really enjoyed. This was published in 1959 and is a military science fiction. It is a story of a young soldier recruit in the mobile infantry sometime in the distant future. The soldiers drop in cocoons to fight interstellar battles and wear powered uniforms (kind of like knight in armor) and from the cover of my book, look like Darth Vader. Heinlein uses his science fiction to give us his opinions about soldiers and war, juvenile delinquency; discipline including capital and corporeal.This book won the Hugo award for best novels in 1960. Major themes in this book is politics. It is an adventure and a coming of age book. You get a fair amount of military history as well. I was amazed at how this book written in 1959 seemed so current. Many concepts that were in the book actually made this book seem so very current and not outdated. This book has been criticized as racist because the aliens are called Bugs (they look like arachnids) because that could be a racial slur but when I read it, it felt like it was a time when all humans were pretty much equal. I thought Heinlein treated women badly in Stranger in a Strange Land but in this book they are part of the military but mostly serving as pilots of ships and nice on the eyes (so still a little chauvinistic). The soldiers were obviously from all ethnic groups; the main character is from the Philippine area and talks Tagalog, another speaks Spanish, etc, etc. Those that are against war might not like the book but wars do happen and in this military it is all volunteer and everyone fights no matter rank. The book's information of military history was quite good. It was written after the Korean War and gives the author's opinion as to war people of the 20th century began to lose wars. And here is a quote that pretty much describes human tendency to ignore ecological relevancy; "...the human race is too individualistic, too self-centered, to worry that much about future generations".
Other quotes;
"The pursuit of science, despite its social benefits, is itself not a social virtue; its practitioners can be men so self-centered as to be lacking in social responsibility."
"an army organized to lose wars--if history means anything. An army that is mostly organization, red tape, and overhead, most of whose 'soldiers' never fight."
I read this because it fit my BOR for 1959. ( )
  Kristelh | Oct 2, 2015 |
Another Heinlein novel often criticized for its political point of view, but I didn't find his politics so controversial...there is something relevant and--I am sure-- attractive today in his idea that one must take responsibility for a society if one is to exercise the right to vote or govern. Unfortunately, the political discourses in this novel did get tedious in this novel. What I think gets lost in arguments over Heinlein's political philosophy is his protagonist being an ethnic minority character--I certainly did not remember this from my first reading of the book, decades ago. I also wonder too what extent Heinlein's "Bugs" inspired Orson Scott Card. ( )
  nmele | Apr 27, 2015 |
Leave it to a former Navy man to botch a sci-fi novel about Army pukes. Heinlein managed to write the most boring military novel ever! This was terrible and I regret wasting the time on it. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
A macho classic. Somewhat provocative, but I wouldn't recommend it to folks who aren't already fans. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Everyone goes down! Everyone fights!
  Hack | Jan 18, 2015 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, Gordon C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always get the shakes before a drop.
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue-and thoroughly immoral-doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
"The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body betwen his loved home and war's desolation."
In one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial best-sellers, a recruit of the future goes through the
toughest boot camp in the Universe--and into battle against mankind's most frightening enemy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441783589, Mass Market Paperback)

Juan Rico signed up with the Federal Service on a lark, but despite the hardships and rigorous training, he finds himself determined to make it as a cap trooper. In boot camp he will learn how to become a soldier, but when he graduates and war comes (as it always does for soldiers), he will learn why he is a soldier. Many consider this Hugo Award winner to be Robert Heinlein's finest work, and with good reason. Forget the battle scenes and high-tech weapons (though this novel has them)--this is Heinlein at the top of his game talking people and politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

With Earth embroiled in a vast interplanetary war with the "Bugs," a young recruit in the Federal Reserves relates his experiences training in boot camp and as a junior officer in the Terran Mobile Infantry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible