A Hero's Daughter by Andreï Makine

A Hero's Daughter (1990)

by Andreï Makine

I really liked this book.
When I bought it (part front cover liking, part blurb on the back side) I expected a book on Olga.
I was surprised to find something else entirely. I found a description of the hardship beforev and during the Great War. I found a description of the lives of Ivan and Tatjana.
And only in a small part of the book Olga featured.

Don't get me wrong: I liked it, it gives a good description of life in these days, how things worked and how people thought. I would have given the book a different title. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 30, 2015 |
This is Andrei Makine's first book. After reading 3 of his later novels and then this one, I could appreciate how his writing evolved. The title is a bit commonplace but the story is very, very genuine. ( )
  Clara53 | Oct 10, 2010 |

Andreï Makineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bour, FrançoiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cuijlenborg, Hans vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"During World War II, Ivan Demidov is made a Hero of the Soviet Union, the Red Army's highest award for bravery and an honour that secures him both society's respect and some modest privileges. But by the time perestroika dawns in the eighties, the glory of Soviet victory has faded from the collective memory, and Ivan begins to lose his way in the new, forward-looking climate. In contrast, Ivan's daughter Olya appears to be thriving; as an interpreter with the Moscow International Trade Centre, she has access to a prosperous, metropolitan lifestyle far beyond her parents' dreams. But Olya's work is not all it seems, and she slowly begins to realise that for her, the price of success may be higher than she is willing to pay. A Hero's Daughter is an absorbing drama of ordinary people whose faith and aspirations are betrayed by a system that ruthlessly exploits even those it claims to benefit."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611452562, 1611458781

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible