Losing Mum and Pup: A Memoir by Christopher…

Losing Mum and Pup: A Memoir (2009)

by Christopher Buckley

I love Christopher Buckley's wit. It saved this book, just barely, from getting two stars. It's quite a personal memoir written after both his parents died, within less than a year of each other. His father, the great conservative thinker and writer, comes off as a fairly arrogant man. His mother, a mover and shaker among the hoi polloi of her day, is more approachable. Buckley was an only child, and lived a very privileged life. There was something too precious about the book for me. His erudition is obvious, but it comes across as an affectation. As I said, he can be extremely funny, and those passages were what made the book worth reading. That said, I was never a William F. Buckley fan, and I had never heard of his famous mother. If I had had any interest in either of them, I'm sure I would have enjoyed this book much, much more. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
William Buckley jr and Patricia Taylor Buckley were glamorous figures, elitists, part of the Jet Set, yet they carried off this lifestyle with flair, dignity and a certain amount of grace.
Patricia Buckley ( Mum )was a fashion maven, a patron of the arts and the ultimate hostess.
William Buckley jr ( Pup) was a prolific writer, possessed a keen intelligence, and was a major American political figure.As a liberal, I was , and still am, appalled by Buckley's conservative politics, but he was a Worthy Opponent. I have a niggling suspicion that he would be horrified by the Tea Party flibbertigibbits and jackanapes.
Christopher Buckley has written a witty, affectionate tribute to his "larger than life" parents. This is a Good Read. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
I'm pretty sure that William F Buckley and Patricia Buckley were fascinating people. You have glimpses of that in this memoir, which, if this book contained more of those glimpses would make this a much better book. Instead, however, you get a whole lot of Christopher Buckley's incessant self absorption, navel gazing and name dropping. Bleh. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Wanted to read this book when it first came out to great fanfare several years ago, was an immediate NY Times bestseller, made several 'best' lists, etc. Found the paperback edition on sale just last week, and, now that I've read it, I'm glad I didn't shell out for the hardback. Because, while it has its moments, I didn't find it all that great. I found Buckley's style a bit overblown and pretentious. But I was often moved by the obvious affection and familial love shown in his portrayal of a famous, flamboyant and intellectual family. An only child, "Christo" obviously reaped the benefits of his parents' celebrity as one of the premier couples of New York society.

Actually, there isn't a whole lot here about the author's life, except in how it relates to his famous parents, William F. and Patricia Taylor Buckley. There is a major surplus of name-dropping throughout the book, without a lot of interesting context to go with it. I learned that Wm F. Buckley, Jr. was a "conservative icon" over and over, and that he wrote scores of books. I'm wondering if I should be embarrassed not to have read any of them.

What moved me most about LOSING MUM AND PUP was the real sense of grief and loss that Buckley felt at losing both parents in less than a year, although I could have perhaps stood a bit less of the dark humor he laces it all with. A few years back I read another memoir about the loss of both parents in quick succession: Benjamin Busch's DUST TO DUST. It was a REAL memoir, and it was much more effective in its depiction of that dual loss in a very short time. Buckley's book is very different, too determined, perhaps, to maintain his typical flippancy and airy style. It was okay, but only if you want to learn all about the lifestyles of rich and famous, not if you're looking for a definitive portrayal of grief. (three and a half stars)

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Jul 24, 2016 |
Excellent. It would be easy for me to dislike the Buckleys (conservative and wealthy), but Christopher Buckley brings out the humanness of his parents. For all the names and privilege in it, it's really a book about what it's like for each of your parents to die. And a good book
  revliz | Feb 25, 2016 |
Control and the confessional impulse abide uneasily in a single manuscript, which is what makes this memoir -- for all its apparent candor -- hollow and unsatisfying. Christopher Buckley is curiously silent, for example, concerning the influence of his outsized parents and their melodramatic marriage on his own somewhat messy personal life.

The memoir provoked by their lives and deaths is loving, exasperated and very funny. In its moments of real ambivalence, “Losing Mum and Pup” is surprisingly strong drink.

In twelve months between 2007 and 2008, Christopher Buckley coped with the passing of his father, William F. Buckley, the father of the modern conservative movement, and his mother, Patricia Taylor Buckley, one of New York's most glamorous and colorful socialites. He was their only child and their relationship was close and complicated. Writes Buckley: "They were not - with respect to every other set of loving, wonderful parents in the world - your typical mom and dad."
As Buckley tells the story of their final year together, he takes readers on a surprisingly entertaining tour through hospitals, funeral homes, and memorial services, capturing the heartbreaking and disorienting feeling of becoming a 55-year-old orphan. Buckley maintains his sense of humor by recalling the words of Oscar Wilde: "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness."
Just as Calvin Trillin and Joan Didion gave readers solace and insight into the experience of losing a spouse, Christopher Buckley offers consolation, wit, and warmth to those coping with the death of a parent, while telling a unique personal story of life with legends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:26 -0400)

Bestselling author Buckley's most personal and transcendent work--the tragicomic true story of the year in which he lost both of his parents. The author offers consolation, wit, and warmth to those coping with the death of a mother or father.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,497,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible