My Name Is America: The Journal of Finn…

Not my favorite book in the series, but still worth the read, for sure. I did enjoy it and I'm glad I read it, even if I didn't connect with Finn as well as I would have liked. It's still a great book, just not for me. 3.75 out of 5 stars. I would still recommend it! ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
SUMMARY: A young Irish-American keeps a journal of his experiences of living in New York City in 1899.

REVIEW: This book is a great look into history, particularly the struggle of life in 1899. It contains language that is simple enough for children to understand, yet is also slightly challenging. The main message of this book is to keep going despite and challenges you might face in your lifetime. For example, main character is faced with many people who either do not care about him or wish him harm, but he keeps persevering in his newspaper business despite all of this. I believe that children will find this book a very interesting, thoughtful read. ( )
  amay3 | Dec 8, 2014 |
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |

When his father dies, Finn Reardon must support his family by selling newspapers on the streets of Manhattan, where he finds himself in the middle of the Newsie Strike of 1899.

When Finn Reardon's father dies, he decides to support his mother and eight siblings by peddling newspapers on the streets corners of New York City. But when the two biggest newspaper publishers, Hearst and Pulitzer, raise the wholesale price that Finn and his friends pay for the papers they sell, the boys band together and go on strike. Susan Campbell Bartoletti brings humor and wit to this classic David and Goliath struggle between the Newsies and the newspaper publishers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

Finn Reardon, a thirteen-year-old Irish-American newspaper carrier who hopes to be a journalist someday, keeps a journal of his experiences living in New York City in 1899. Includes historical notes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible