Against All Things Ending by Stephen R.…
Recently added byAnrake, ushatten, bookzombie, mponte, private library, ssimon2000

One of the best in the entire Thomas Covenant series! While there was a lot of changes in pacing, it was all vital to the overall story. Obviously, since this is book 3 of the final series and book 9 overall, it wouldn't make much sense to someone without reading the previous volumes first. If you want a challenging read, try tackling the series! It will be well worth your time! ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
Reviews led me to believe this would be the low point of the Last Chronicles. In terms of pacing that may be the case since relatively little is accomplished, but at least there's fewer nuisance problems. Reactions to events are proportional to their significance, and tight scrapes are evaded through logical but pleasantly unforeseen means albeit costly (finally). Linden is relieved of carrying the entire story, and at last we're (mostly) done with the prior two volumes-worth of questions, questions, questions. The worst remaining nuisance is the "list paragraphs": a too-frequent listing of all the companions' reactions to something as if in frozen tableau, or of what they're each doing to get ready for the next meal, journey, battle, etc. We're talking about a lot of companions here.

For the first 100 pages everyone is rooted to the spot and the fifth chapter could just be deleted, but it wasn't all bad since a lot of interesting people are present. The real problem is that for the majority of the book the party is pretty aimless and doesn't know what to do next. This is frustrating because the list of their opponents is huge and it seemed like nothing was being scratched off. I know conclusions need a wow factor, but why reserve all the good stuff and make the reader plod through the middle books to get there (and why have two of them)? Characters feeling sorry for themselves are largely to blame, but you saw that coming unless this is the first Covenant book you've read.

I gripe a lot but I'm still giving these books four stars. In my rating scale that means I at least get the level of entertainment I expect (if not what I hoped.) Why I feel that way might not bear close scrutiny, so I'll keep my distance. I have several bones to pick with how the story is being told, but a key aspect done right is that the author remains true to his characters and his world. I guess that's what's most important to me. ( )
  Cecrow | Jun 24, 2014 |
Another wonderful book in the continuing saga of Thomas Covenant. Its amazing to think that this series has been going so long. In this book the end is in sight at last, things are beginning to be resolved. If you have enjoyed the other books in the series you will certainly enjoy these. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
The Saga of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever continues with "Against All Things Ending. The book begins with Linden Avery's continued search for her lost son. In desperation she invokes the magic in Covenant's white gold ring (given to her at the end of book six) to bring Thomas Covenant back to life so that he made aide her in her search for her son. Covenant has long been apart of the Arch of Time since his death during a battle with Lord Foul, and his resurrection sees his illness renewed and his mind fractured so he is of little help to Linden. However, in resurrecting Covenant she has also woken the Worm of the World's End. An act which will end all time and the existence of all in the Land. Lord Foul applauds this act as he seeks to free himself from the Creator and the shackles of time. But he needs Jeremiah's magic as well as the destruction of the Land. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Jan 3, 2014 |
Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a masterpiece from book 1 up to and including this book, the ninth in the series and the next to the last book in the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Donaldson uses complex character development and deep explorations of human motivation to weave an intricate tale of bigger than life heroes and flawed anti-heroes who must combine their efforts to save the precious Land. His fantasy realm, The Land, rivals that of Tolkien's Middle Earth, and his characterizations are reminiscent of Stephen King. Ultimately the tales of Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery are epic stories of good versus evil, but Donaldson's heroes are flawed human beings who must strive to overcome evil, not by superpowers or by might, or even right, but simply by trusting who they have been created to be - imperfect, flawed beings who want to be more and want the world to be a better place. They must overcome evil by overcoming their own flaws and shortcomings. Time and again they rise to the challenge. But as we discover in each of the first two trilogies, evil never disappears for long or is completely defeated. This time Covenant and Linden Avery face an apocalyptic event and yet again, accompanied by the last heroes of the Land, they must find a way to overcome their imperfections, their own desires, and their own shortcomings to rise to the need of the world, the Land, and ultimately their own reality as well. This is a wonderfully adventurous journey, but is not a simple read. Donaldson's characters are complex, and he spends a considerable number of pages exploring their motivations and character flaws. This is part of what makes his books so memorable. His characters come to life under his narration and the Land takes shape as we journey with the Humbled, the Giants, the Ramen and Stowndowners toward either the ultimate doom or their final salvation. It is an epic journey. ( )
  Al-G | Jun 25, 2013 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Perry Donaldson: a daughter to make a man proud
Thomas Covenant knelt on the rich grass of Andelain as though he had fallen there from the distance of eons.

Covenant’s spirit has been released from the Arch of Time, and his body is intact. But for this to happen, Linden Avery has had to assemble so much magical power that she is in danger of waking the Worm of the World’s End. The Worm is a classic apocalyptic beast, but it is highly credible that he could destroy the Land, all in it, and perhaps parts of an earth that is closer to the Land than we may have thought. The only hope of survival is for Linden and Thomas to assemble all their possible and not-so-possible allies, including Linden’s adopted son, Jeremiah, who may live up to the biblical implications of his given name and be a harbinger of disaster rather than hope.

Linden's defiant act of love--resurrecting Thomas Covenant--awakens the Worm of the World's End. If they have any chance to save the Land, it will come from unlikely sources--including the mysterious boy Jeremiah, Linden's adopted son, whose secrets are only beginning to come to light.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Against All Things Ending by Stephen R. Donaldson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible