Against All Things Ending by Stephen R.…
Recently added byvalcner, loomis22, private library, Anrake, ushatten, bookzombie, mponte

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Why oh why did I start reading this series? Nostalgia from reading the first two Covenant series when I was a kid, perhaps? Or maybe I enjoyed Donaldson's Gap series so much, I figured what could go wrong?

Where is the editor for these books? You'd think after reading the same thing, again and again, page after page, a good editor might suggest to Mr. Donaldson that he could cut a bit of the tedium and tighten things up. Nope.

I don't think I've come across a more annoying pair of protagonists that Linden Avery and Thomas Covenant. The self pity. The constant whining. I really felt sorry for their companions to have to suffer like that. Pretty much all of the other characters in the book are more interesting and more likable than these two. And that includes the horses.

First hundred pages, we're just standing around in a glade. Talking. Linden either asking stupid questions, or completely forgetting to ask the obviously critical ones. Have you ever wanted to reach through a book and shake some sense into someone? I have, now that I've read this book.

Worst thing is, there might actually be an interesting story buried in this mess. It's hard to find, but I think it is there, somewhere, suffocating under the rotten writing.

And please, please, someone take the thesaurus away from Mr. Donaldson. I've never come across an author who so perversely enjoys using archaic or overly complicated language. Most of the unusual English words are not known to my Merriam-Webster dictionary (and I am far too lazy to go into the other room and look these things up in my copy of the OED).

I guess I'm just a sucker. Having received the 4th (and FINAL!) book is this series from the Early Reviewers program, I feel obligated to finish this series thing up. Afterwards, I have a feeling I'll not be reading any more Donaldson. Life is too short. ( )
  curious.incident | Sep 27, 2014 |
One of the best in the entire Thomas Covenant series! While there was a lot of changes in pacing, it was all vital to the overall story. Obviously, since this is book 3 of the final series and book 9 overall, it wouldn't make much sense to someone without reading the previous volumes first. If you want a challenging read, try tackling the series! It will be well worth your time! ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
Reviews led me to believe this would be the low point of the Last Chronicles. In terms of pacing that may be the case since relatively little is accomplished, but at least there's fewer nuisance problems. Reactions to events are proportional to their significance, and tight scrapes are evaded through logical but pleasantly unforeseen means albeit costly (finally). Linden is relieved of carrying the entire story, and at last we're (mostly) done with the prior two volumes-worth of questions, questions, questions. The worst remaining nuisance is the "list paragraphs": a too-frequent listing of all the companions' reactions to something as if in frozen tableau, or of what they're each doing to get ready for the next meal, journey, battle, etc. We're talking about a lot of companions here.

For the first 100 pages everyone is rooted to the spot and the fifth chapter could just be deleted, but it wasn't all bad since a lot of interesting people are present. The real problem is that for the majority of the book the party is pretty aimless and doesn't know what to do next. This is frustrating because the list of their opponents is huge and it seemed like nothing was being scratched off. I know conclusions need a wow factor, but why reserve all the good stuff and make the reader plod through the middle books to get there (and why have two of them)? Characters feeling sorry for themselves are largely to blame, but you saw that coming unless this is the first Covenant book you've read.

I gripe a lot but I'm still giving these books four stars. In my rating scale that means I at least get the level of entertainment I expect (if not what I hoped.) Why I feel that way might not bear close scrutiny, so I'll keep my distance. I have several bones to pick with how the story is being told, but a key aspect done right is that the author remains true to his characters and his world. I guess that's what's most important to me. ( )
  Cecrow | Jun 24, 2014 |
Another wonderful book in the continuing saga of Thomas Covenant. Its amazing to think that this series has been going so long. In this book the end is in sight at last, things are beginning to be resolved. If you have enjoyed the other books in the series you will certainly enjoy these. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
The Saga of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever continues with "Against All Things Ending. The book begins with Linden Avery's continued search for her lost son. In desperation she invokes the magic in Covenant's white gold ring (given to her at the end of book six) to bring Thomas Covenant back to life so that he made aide her in her search for her son. Covenant has long been apart of the Arch of Time since his death during a battle with Lord Foul, and his resurrection sees his illness renewed and his mind fractured so he is of little help to Linden. However, in resurrecting Covenant she has also woken the Worm of the World's End. An act which will end all time and the existence of all in the Land. Lord Foul applauds this act as he seeks to free himself from the Creator and the shackles of time. But he needs Jeremiah's magic as well as the destruction of the Land. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Jan 3, 2014 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Perry Donaldson: a daughter to make a man proud
Thomas Covenant knelt on the rich grass of Andelain as though he had fallen there from the distance of eons.

Covenant’s spirit has been released from the Arch of Time, and his body is intact. But for this to happen, Linden Avery has had to assemble so much magical power that she is in danger of waking the Worm of the World’s End. The Worm is a classic apocalyptic beast, but it is highly credible that he could destroy the Land, all in it, and perhaps parts of an earth that is closer to the Land than we may have thought. The only hope of survival is for Linden and Thomas to assemble all their possible and not-so-possible allies, including Linden’s adopted son, Jeremiah, who may live up to the biblical implications of his given name and be a harbinger of disaster rather than hope.

Linden's defiant act of love--resurrecting Thomas Covenant--awakens the Worm of the World's End. If they have any chance to save the Land, it will come from unlikely sources--including the mysterious boy Jeremiah, Linden's adopted son, whose secrets are only beginning to come to light.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Against All Things Ending by Stephen R. Donaldson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible