Dust of Dreams
Info:Tor Books, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, malazan

Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson

Recently added bytwistfox, tokyoadam, Jon_Hansen, LitaVore, sinceyouasked, private library

Find myself skimming some sections because, well, you can tell when Erikson is just noodling around with whatever moody kinda-sorta-philosophical thing flitted through his head. Especially with minor characters taking the POV. But I'm this far in and I'll damned well be finishing the saga off. And I still find them entertaining reads. So, about 2.5 stars would be a better rating, but I'll live with three. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
Overall, this was nearly as bad as Toll the Hounds, in that everyone whined and complained about the harshness and meaninglessness of life. If they really felt like how they talked, they would have killed themselves off.

The very FEW action parts to this book were great, but were so far and few between that they were lost in this mammoth volume.

With the tone of the series turning soapbox'ish and not about the action, I can no longer recommend this series. The action, the politics, the maneuvering, it is all gone, given over to mindless rants about philosophical whines by people who shouldn't be ABLE to whine philosophically.

Dreading the final book but also looking forward to it just to end this nightmare. This series has devolved into a kind of Terry Goodkind preachiness. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
YOU FUCKING CLIFFHANGER LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
YOU FUCKING CLIFFHANGER LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
At this point I find it near impossible to write a plot summary as there is so much going, but I'll give it a try. Events pick up immediately after where book 7 ends. The Bonehunters are in Letheras contemplating their next move. Their allies, the Khundryl Burned Tears and The Perish, are making preparations to join them in facing down the ultimate enemy. The Barghast have returned to what they think of as their ancestral homeland and find things not what they expected. Several factions of T'lan Imass have awoken to a distant call and they need to decide how to answer. Add to this Elder Gods, K’Chain Che’Malle, Elient, Jaghut, Forkrul Assail and new gods and the mind reels.

Dust of Dreams is the ninth book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. There is an Author's Note with a warning that this book is different and for the first time in the series to expect a cliffhanger ending as it is meant to be the first half of the grand finale. This set my expectation for a long slow build, which is pretty much what we get. Many story lines going all the way back tot he first book are brought together as we march towards the end of this series. This is a talent of Eriksons that never ceases to amaze me given how complicated the story is at this point.

The tone starts off grim in the prologue and while Erikson works in moments of levity to help break things up that feeling is an undercurrent throughout the novel. This is not in itself a bad thing. It is more like the darkness before the storm and lends a sense of urgency.

For those that enjoy the philosophical parts of these novels you will not be disappointed by Dust of Dreams. Many of the discussions between characters or just an individual's personal thoughts are quite thought provoking.

I like how Erikson refuses to state who is "good" and who is "evil". Insight is given into characters and factions previously thought of negatively and showing them in a new, sympathetic light. It's yet another way these books make you think.

Erikson outdid himself in the final chapters of this book. The convergence is mind blowing in scope, the action intense. My heart was racing as I read, emotions high. I'm still feel a little numb in the aftermath. I had debated reading something else before finishing the series and know I can't wait that long. It will be straight on to The Crippled God for me! ( )
  Narilka | Mar 22, 2014 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Ten years ago I received an endorsement from a most unexpected source, from a writer I respected and admired. The friendship born in that moment is one I deeply treasure. With love and gratitude, I dedicate this novel to Stephen R. Donaldson.
There was light, and then there was heat.
"Does nothing dead ever go away around here?"

The last great army of the Malazan Empire is resolved to make one final, defiant, heroic stand in the name of redemption. But can deeds be heroic when there is no one to witness them? The Deck of Dragons has been read, unleashing a dread power that none can comprehend...… (more)

94 wanted3 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,240,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible