The man in the arena: the selected writings…

The man in the arena: the selected writings of Theodore Roosevelt; a… (2003)

by Theodore Roosevelt

Other authors: Brian M. Thomsen (Editor)

13None723,089NoneNone

No reviews

Theodore Rooseveltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomsen, Brian M.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out where the strong stumbled, or how the doer could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is in the arena, his face marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and falls short again and again: There is no effort without error.
But he who tries, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, at best knows the triumph of achievement, and at the worst, fails while daring. His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
On September 11, 2001, I lost a friend by the name of John Moran. He was a Battalion Commander in the NYFD who gave his life with too many of his fire-fighting brothers in the aftermath of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
John and I went through kindergarten and grammar school together (as well as four more years, despite high schools separating us, thanks to our involvement in Saint Camillus Marching Band). Usually we were side by side since our place in line was determined by size order and both John and I were individuals of height.
As life would have it our paths diverged for a while, but managed to cross again at a band reunion in the early part of 2001 where we shared reminiscences and exchanged recommendations on our current reading materials. In the years that had passed John had earned a law degree been promoted to Battalion Commander in the NYFD, had gotten happily married, and was well on his way to making a substantial contribution to the world around him.
But then 9/11 came along.
At his memorial service I learned that John always carried in his wallet TR's quote "the Man in the Arena" for inspiration.
This book was inspired by him, and is dedicated to him, just the sort of book that we used to recommend to each other.
For John Moran, a man worthy of TR's epigraph.
In recent years it has become fashionable among Republicans to think of one's self as a successor to the mantle of Theodore Roosevelt, the youngest, most independent, and most prolific of American presidents . . . but when it comes right down to it all candidates pale in comparison.

By the time he was twenty-five the future president of the United States was already a published author. From The Naval War of 1812 through his four-volume Winning of the West, Teddy Roosevelt proved himself a master historian...but one must not make the mistake of labeling him a stodgy academic.
The future president was also a great outdoorsman, with such works as Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail and African Game Trails capturing his rough and ready lifestyle.
Theodore Roosevelt was part Francis Parkman, part Lowell Thomas, and one hundred percent spirit of America and master of the printed page.
The Man in the Arena collects self-contained excerpts from some of his greatest works, including such revealing memoirs as The Rough Riders, the Autobiography, and Through the Brazilian Wilderness, in an effort to capture the many aspects of a great American who was indeed larger than life and his own best "Boswell."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:35 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible