The Waterless Sea by Kate Constable

The Waterless Sea (2003)

by Kate Constable

Once again, Calwyn and her friends finds themselves in a situation where they are needed. They will have to find the courage, strength, and determination to ensure they're up to the task that is set before them. Trust and friendships will be tested, and secrets of the past will become revealed.

The Waterless Sea is an outstanding novel. The determination and courage of Calwyn and her friends is simply remarkable. Even when faced with hardships and suffering, the group continue forward in their adventure, never stopping until the task they set out to do is completed. The sacrifices that are made come at a great cost, especially to a brave girl of Antaris, but they are made with love and compassion for the sake of others.

I would definitely recommend this book to others! If you liked the first book, Singer of All Songs, then you will definitely enjoy this one as well. Not only does it have the same flare and magic from the first novel, this story also gives the reader a little flash to Darrow's path- before he met Samis. ( )
  DARKANG3L | Aug 23, 2012 |
This book is just as stunning as the first. After I finished The Singer of All Songs (which took me less than a day,) I immediately raced to my school library and checked out the next book, The Waterless Sea. And this sequel definitely did not disappoint me. However, there were several things that I made this book very confusing. First of all, when I was reading it, I was looking for Darrow. Obviously, Calwyn and him where meant to be together. So imagine my surprise when I couldn't find him there! I thought there must have been a typo, but soon enough, I found out. I have to say, I finally realized that Darrow must have left the group since, as Halassus says, he can not be healed because the disease is inside his heart. Darrow shut out everything and everyone including Calwyn, eventually. The Waterless Sea is just as emotional and excitingly suspenseful. Kate Constable is an very gifted writer. ( )
  MidnightMermaids | Nov 25, 2010 |
One of the most alluring aspects of this book is the original fantasy being used as the basic structure of the story and the world in which it takes place. An original mythology well crafted brings fresh content for the imagination more so than the constant reskinning of already established mythologies like vampirism and magic do. What Constable does to combine the natural world with singing and dancing is both beautiful and original. In comparison to the first book, the story is a little dry (no pun intended) and the action moves at a slightly slower pace. However, the characters’ struggles are deeper and more complex, and the elements of child oppression and the labors of the lower classes to bring social justice and equality are universally experienced by the peoples of Tremaris as much as they are in our own world. As a result, the second book has a stronger plot and more depth even though the pacing is slower. Overall, the story is still simplistic even though is brings in elements of greater universal struggle. On one hand, that can be positive because the readership will have a lighthearted introduction to adult themes and topics that plague our own world at a more complex level. On the other hand, it may present them with the idea that such issues are both simplistic in nature and easy to solve. Again, as with all three installments of this trilogy, this is a great rainy day book that will provide escape and entertainment. I recommend this book and the trilogy as a whole for adults looking for a fun read, but it’s primary audience will be kids ages 8-13.-Lindsey Miller, www.lindseyslibrary.com ( )
  LindseysLibrary | May 14, 2009 |
The Waterless Sea is a sequel to Singer of All Songs. They are both set in Tremaris, a world separated into divergent political and religious countries each of which "has" different magic.

In The Waterless Sea Calwyn continues to accrue different magics. This time the story is primarily set in the desert landscape of Merithurua, the land that her beloved but frustrating Darrow came from. Merithurians have come to hate and distrust those who can do magic. Children who display talent are removed from their families and sequested in the Dark Palace where they are trained and tested to become secret mages. Calwyn and her friends aim to rescue the children but they are hampered by the desert, the people, and the long tradition of silence. Naturally there are evil sorcerers who try to thwart them and a sweet looking but treacherous girl. Calwyn learns more and more about Darrow but will the understanding bring them closer or farther apart. Calwyn obviously has a crush on Darrow but his emotional distance is baffling.

Hmm, not bad and I'm interested in the next book of the series but it did not generate passion or excitement in me.
  sara_k | Oct 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554810, Paperback)

In this tightly woven sequel to The Singer of all Songs, Calwyn and Co., still flush from their success in defeating the evil sorcerer Samis, are now on their way to the Empire of Merithuros. There, they hope to rescue two small siblings who were stolen away from Heben, a fallen prince with a decidedly suspicious nature toward magic makers. Within the lighter-than-air walls of Merithuros’ Palace of Cobwebs, Calwyn finds the children she seeks, but also a terrible secret of how these children and many others have been used and abused by the Empire for their power of chantment. Meanwhile, Darrow, Calwyn’s mysterious mentor and friend, has gone off on a lonely quest to decide the fate of the powerful ruby ring he pried from the dead Samis’s finger. The two will finally meet again within the walls of the Black Palace, where Darrow will declare his feelings, and Calwyn will lose all she holds dear, in the dry desert world of the waterless sea.

The Waterless Sea is the rich centerpiece of the Chanters of Tremaris trilogy; answering questions raised in the first book, while piquing interest in the eagerly awaited third novel. Young readers will have their curiosity about Darrow’s troubled past satisfied, even as they are left hanging in a quietly desperate ending that finds Darrow and Calwyn separated once again. While awaiting the third volume, Tremaris enthusiasts can ease their fantasy jones by checking out the similarly fine Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin. (Ages 10-14) —Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Calwyn and her friends travel to the desert land of Merithuros to rescue the children held captive because of their magical gift of chantment, even as their friend Darrow begins a plot of his own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,398,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible