The Lake House by James Patterson

The Lake House (2003)

by James Patterson

The sequel to "When the Wind Blows," the thesis is fascinating. The evil doctor seeks to save the world by enhancing select humans. He sees the winged children as a threat...I guess that sets up the tension. And, it engages the reader as two sci-fi themes unfold. This book should be read AS a sequel. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 22, 2014 |
read 03/17/2014
  trexm5qp7 | Mar 16, 2014 |
This quick read tells the story of children who have been scientifically engineered to have both avian and human DNA. They escape their captors and are being pursued. ( )
  AstridG | Apr 10, 2013 |
7.5 hours of reading. Intriguing drama/sci-fi about 6 children who were genetically engineered with both human and bird genes. They all are winged and highly intelligent. The "family" of bird children was the focus of powerful people who want to exploit them but there are also those who want to protect them. The downside to this story in audio is that the female voices are both in 1st person. I had difficulity knowing who was speaking until I heard some more context clues. The male part was read by a male . Maybe in print, the book indicates from which point of view it is speaking from. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Apr 5, 2013 |
True to the Patterson formula, the story is compelling, the plot well laid and the characters that should be adorable are and those that aren't...

An enjoyable read, with real people facing extraordinary circumstances and hunted by bad guys as evil as they come.

This is a fantasy novel, thus literary license is at the discretion of the author, but try as I might I couldn't wrap my mind around people with 10 foot wings flying up a stairwell or down a hallway, riding in cars as normal as you and I, and crawling through air ducts. Speed bumps for me, if you will.

Other than that, I very much enjoyed the read. This is a good read for anyone who enjoys Patterson. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Jul 15, 2012 |
This is for the other Max, Max Paetro, who has been involved with the bird children from the beginning.
She knows and loves them as I do. And they love her back!
At about eleven in the evening, Dr. Ethan Kane trudged down the gray-and-blue painted corridor toward a private elevator.

The memorable story begun in When the Wind Blows continues in this thrilling novel, and it's one that really soars! Frannie O'Neil, a Colorado veterinarian, knows a terrible secret that will change the history of the world. Kit Harrison, an FBI agent under suspension has seen things that no one in his right mind would believe. A twelve-year-old girl named Max and five other incredible children have powers we can only dream of. These children can fly. And the only place they will be save is the Lake House. Or so they believe...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:22 -0400)

Six extraordinary children are trying to lead normal lives in the Rocky Mountain countryside. They live in different homes, with different families, but there is something powerful that connects them. Something that puts them in terrible danger. The only time they've ever felt safe was when they were together in the waterfront cabin they call the Lake House. And the only people they've ever trusted are Frannie and Kit, the couple who rescued them from unimaginable evil once before. When that evil resurfaces, the kids reconnect with Frannie and Kit and set off on an astonishing adventure. They flee to the Lake House, but even that haven may no longer be safe. Dr. Ethan Kane is chief of surgery at Liberty General Hospital, one of the most esteemed hospitals in the nation. It is here that terrible secrets lie, secrets that will change the world for all of us.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,673,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible